U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2016, 02:02 AM

8,931 posts, read 8,019,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I would prefer somewhere that had similar winds to what I'm use to 10-15mph.
I am not going to try to scare you away from Montana as a great place to move. But you seem so set on a low wind speed, and I think you should know the truth. This is not just my opinions but Newspaper, TV and Radio information on the winds in Montana.

Billings area can and often does have winds up to 50 miles an hour and more. One trip to Billings for medical appointment going home till about 15 miles out of Billings we were in a hard snow storm, and cars blown off of the road every 100 feet or so due to a heavy cross wind blowing across the Interstate.

Columbus to Billings is the mildest area of Montana, with less than 4 feet total snow per year, and is known as snow shadow of the Rockies. But it is windy especially in the winter as is all of Montana. Hard enough some times, to destroy roofs, blow cars all over the place when roads are icy. Watch Accuweather which is the best weather conditions source, and you will soon see how they give high wind warnings many times a winter/year. It gets windy enough that they warn the big trucks to park somewhere and wait out the weather rather than be blown over or off of the road.

A TV report: High Winds Whipping Across Montana - KULR8.com | Local News, Weather & Sports | Billings, MT

The winds did not exceed 100 MPH in this report.

If you are looking for 10 to 15 mile wind conditions, it is not going to be in Montana. Just watch Local Weather from AccuWeather.com - Superior Accuracy and find out for yourself the truth about Montana winds.

This is a radio weather report last November 16th that will be a typical report in winter when a storm is on the way. Note it was only going to be 55 MPH winds this time, but can get much worse. This is common when a storm if blowing in. This was not even a bad storm.

Q2 Weather: High winds blow in a major weather change - KTVQ.com | Q2 | Continuous News Coverage | Billings, MT

Montana is tied for second windiest state as far as potential for wind powered electricity in the U.S.

Study bumps Montana
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2016, 04:15 PM

4,623 posts, read 3,943,469 times
Our place has so little wind it has been deemed inadequate for wind turbine... which is having a regular 8-11mph. There is one spot that is up on top which might be adequate for one, but it is long ways to anything to power.

So it is possible to find low wind areas in Montana. We have zero North wind. That is the thing to look for. Avoid locating in middle of a long valley. The foothills facing the valley will have less wind. There are plenty of windy corridors to avoid & they are frequently discussed.

Old 01-07-2016, 07:28 PM

387 posts, read 355,912 times
Likewise, in the Gallatin Valley, it isn't very windy (of course there are some days with some wind, but generally it isn't a windy place). When I'm over working in Livingston, I dread it because I always have grit blown into my eyes. If I'm over towards Amsterdam or Norris, sometimes the wind gets 30-40 mph on nice days. We were walking our dog this fall and could lean into the wind without falling over. This is a rare event out there (unlike in Livingston which is windy all year round), but happens.

So, I'd say that if you are looking, get the reputation about whether it is windy or not and make that decision, and then look at the property and plan accordingly as HOF mentioned. Depending on where the build site is, it is going to affect it hugely. A lot of this "ranchettes" are built on the top of hills for the views, but are VERY windy because of this, as are houses on the edges of canyons over rivers, etc. Choose wisely, and pick a sheltered area if this is of concern.

Old 01-07-2016, 08:08 PM

8,931 posts, read 8,019,248 times
As this map shows the AVERAGE ANNUAL WIND SPEED IS ABOUT 20 MILES PER HOUR. There are days the wind does not blow, which holds down the average, to compensate for the real high wind days.

http://nris.mt.gov/gis/gisdatalib/do...ELLOWSTONE.pdf

Old 01-11-2016, 10:35 AM

80 posts, read 138,334 times
generally, if you're west of the continental divide you won't have nearly the winds you would east of it, out in the plains. There are some localized exceptions, but it's not the norm.

Old 01-11-2016, 11:43 AM

10 posts, read 11,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingcat2k View Post
@JBlecka: You should also look into flights to Sidney from Billings. They have 3 flights daily and only charge $52 for each flight. I would fly them when I was traveling to see family in Billings when I was working in ND. If the roads are bad, it's a better option than driving 5-6 hours on snow packed or icy roads.

www.capeair.com
I will thank you!

Old 01-12-2016, 06:37 AM

31 posts, read 50,863 times
Default Justification

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
Not justification, asking because if the person needs a job or not for instance would make a huge difference in where you would advise them to go.

Billings has the largest opportunity for jobs in the state, as well as the mildest winters, but if the person asking doesn't need to commute for a job, then somewhere like Bab or Somers may be better.

With limited information about what the person asking wants, it's pretty difficult to give them definitive answers and actually provide information that would help them in their search.

If they want forest or mountains, the eastern plains aren't the place to go, but if they want decent land prices, the western forested mountains aren't the place to go.

If they need easy access to a hospital, or if they want to homestead, do they want animals or just a large yard, do they want to be close to people or isolated, all are factors in trying to help someone decide where to go.

If they're coming here looking for a job.....

Not a good idea anywhere.
MTSilvertip,

You don't have to justify yourself or your questions to others! Your responses all usually spot-on, let your reputation on this sight speak for itself. If the O/P wants a reason I could see it but other than that....not.

Old 04-25-2016, 12:57 PM

2 posts, read 1,451 times
April 2016....Hi. I am wanting to move to Livingston, Montana. I currently live in Western Pennsylvania. I live in a public housing apartment for people with disabilities.My disability is not a physical disability. Currently, my rent is income based. I receive SSI. Is there any available housing available for me? I would appreciate any feedback and help. Thank you.

Old 04-25-2016, 10:45 PM

4,623 posts, read 3,943,469 times
Livingston, MT Affordable and Low Income Housing - PublicHousing.com

Here is a link for Livingston. I do not believe Montana has excess public housing, so waiting lists likely exist.

Old 04-26-2016, 02:36 PM

387 posts, read 355,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilacLisa View Post
April 2016....Hi. I am wanting to move to Livingston, Montana. I currently live in Western Pennsylvania. I live in a public housing apartment for people with disabilities.My disability is not a physical disability. Currently, my rent is income based. I receive SSI. Is there any available housing available for me? I would appreciate any feedback and help. Thank you.
Unfortunately, there are very few services in Livingston for those with disabilities (for example service centers to get things straightened out with SSI, mental health support, etc.). It is something we struggle with on that side of the hill, and most have to figure out time and transportation to get over the Bozeman, where living is much more expensive. The support financially for SSI and state level services is WAY below what you would find in the east coast. You should really consider that before a move. I say this coming from working with many patients with SSI in NY and OR - it is a vastly different landscape in Livingston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or