U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2016, 02:50 PM

1,056 posts, read 958,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilacLisa View Post
April 2016....Hi. I am wanting to move to Livingston, Montana. I currently live in Western Pennsylvania. I live in a public housing apartment for people with disabilities.My disability is not a physical disability. Currently, my rent is income based. I receive SSI. Is there any available housing available for me? I would appreciate any feedback and help. Thank you.
Montana is not a place someone on SSI who lives alone and needs public housing should move to. The resources are limited and you would be last in line for what little is available. Best for you to stick to the East coast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2016, 03:14 PM

Location: MA/ME (the way life should not be / the way it should be)
1,267 posts, read 976,257 times
I would just like to jump in and state a general statement about moving anywhere.

If one is very poor/needs decent assisstance, then it is best to stay put, or move nearby. The reason for this is you know your area well, and can probally still make due. However if one moves far away they have no understanding of the local climate, jobs, politcal, ect, and at the most they have limited understanding (gained by research). In some cases however moving might be better (ex: your in a very high cost f living area, or moving somewhere with much better job prospects if you dont have a job lined up which can support you).

However, i still assume if one is poor, but good at managing money w/out assisstance, then they could be able to make such a move. It will be much harder for sure, but nowhere near impossible.

Good luck on your search, and may you end up where your heart is, as i too wish to get out of the east coast. A suggestion to look into would be southern/central maine around the portland/skowhegan/bangor area. It is rural (not by montana standards, but your close to aroostook which is ruraler than alot of western montana), and they tend to have (somewhat) better public assisstance from what i hear. It is still the east coast, but as stated on the Maine forum, it is the wild wild west, of the far northeast.

Old 04-27-2016, 07:22 PM

3,796 posts, read 3,987,784 times
Housing/Transportation
See especially Livingston Village listing

http://www.thehrdc.org/how-we-help/h...al-assistance/

http://www.lowincomehousing.us/MT/livingston.html

http://affordablehousingonline.com/h...rtments/48736/

http://www.google.com/url?q=http://h...b_OA6knGzCqUBw

http://mtdh.ruralinstitute.umt.edu/?page_id=662
Support Services.

If you want to consider it further, do your research, ask questions, then visit before you decide.

Old 05-07-2016, 07:42 AM

8 posts, read 6,194 times
Montana is such a beautiful place overall with a very low population. We don't really have much in the way of humidity and the climate is fairly decent as well. The coldest winters will typically in the Northwest corner of the state (Kalispell, Polson, Columbia Falls) and of course along the border to Canada. If you like outdoor activity, then this is the place to be!

Old 05-07-2016, 07:56 AM

8 posts, read 6,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBlecka View Post
Hi All,

I'm looking to possibly move to Montana but I'm not sure exactly where. I'm from Arizona and I'm use to about 10mph winds. I don't like track homes. Looking for possibly something with a little property. I'm looking for somewhere that's on the cheaper side. I know It's a change but possibly an area that has a more mild winter? Where would you suggest? How is the humidity in the area?
Hopefully you can help!
Montana is such a beautiful place overall with a very low population. We don't really have much in the way of humidity and the climate is fairly decent as well. The coldest winters will typically in the Northwest corner of the state (Kalispell, Polson, Columbia Falls) and of course along the border to Canada. If you like outdoor activity, then this is the place to be! I currently live in Laurel, so if you are looking for more specific information about Billings and the surrounding areas, I can help!

Old 05-13-2016, 08:10 PM

2 posts, read 1,458 times
Thank you for the information. It helps a lot. I need to research more before moving. I'm glad that you are familiar with disabilities, SSI, etc... Thanks again. ~Lisa

Old 05-14-2016, 09:20 PM

7,662 posts, read 8,952,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKezarWoodsman View Post
I would just like to jump in and state a general statement about moving anywhere.

If one is very poor/needs decent assisstance, then it is best to stay put, or move nearby. The reason for this is you know your area well, and can probally still make due. However if one moves far away they have no understanding of the local climate, jobs, politcal, ect, and at the most they have limited understanding (gained by research). In some cases however moving might be better (ex: your in a very high cost f living area, or moving somewhere with much better job prospects if you dont have a job lined up which can support you).

However, i still assume if one is poor, but good at managing money w/out assisstance, then they could be able to make such a move. It will be much harder for sure, but nowhere near impossible.

Good luck on your search, and may you end up where your heart is, as i too wish to get out of the east coast. A suggestion to look into would be southern/central maine around the portland/skowhegan/bangor area. It is rural (not by montana standards, but your close to aroostook which is ruraler than alot of western montana), and they tend to have (somewhat) better public assisstance from what i hear. It is still the east coast, but as stated on the Maine forum, it is the wild wild west, of the far northeast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or