U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2016, 10:43 PM

8,440 posts, read 11,093,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaginationStation View Post
Thanks, MSR! That was refreshingly frank. I can understand your concern for employment. There obviously is no perfect state, but there definitely are some that will be happier. It is wise to not want an excess of unemployed people as that isn't good for the local economy. I have not determined yet where to live and will certainly keep in mind my job security wherever I go.
Thanks, Imagination Stattion. I do care how many people who have no plans of contributing to an economy just move to a "cheaper state." Especially those with smaller populations just can't offset all who want to move with no solid plans for employment. But it is truly more than that for me. Residents of MT, WY and ID are some of the hardest working people in the U.S. Weather can be harsh at times, yet residents in these states think their way through how to do things differently. Many have gone without things so their children could have better opportunities. I don't think politics matter in the least when it comes to longtime residents, or natives returning to their home states, when it comes to the work ethic and principles that make residents of these states who they are.

I care about those escaping, for example, CA in a three month plan. They haven't researched what we urge them to because in CA they simply did x,y,Z and life happened. I need to clearly point out that Clark Fork Fantast is a pleasant exception to the rule. Every summer and for years, CFF has been actively working on CA relocation. I don't get concerned by folks like CFF who plan and prepare.

The truth is, some people are better off in CA or elsewhere given their needs, which can't always be met in an Intermountain state. One of my peers calls me the bubble popper saying I burst the bubble of some when I think they simply don't understand not everything is available in a rural state.

Cities here are not the same. There is a reason those most everyone who works in Jackson Hole often cannot afford to live there. Bozeman has so many east coast residents who own property there it makes the COL higher, but you can check that. However, Butte isn't too far away and probably costs a lot less, or Billings or other cities. My point here is it just isn't accurate to believe the COL is the same throughout MT, WY or ID. Many from Western WA are moving to the ID Panhandle area given the high COL in their previous locations.

Yes, job security is important not just to me but others too. Not everyone can sell for Southeby's. At the same time it's an exciting time to see what businesses are created by new residents. Just keep it in the mix for yourself as you evaluate all the criteria you hope to find

MSR
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2016, 10:46 PM

8,440 posts, read 11,093,751 times
Strange double post. Delete.

Old 01-03-2016, 01:24 AM

5,787 posts, read 9,226,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
Hi CFF,

Teton County, ID does contrast politically. Look up the last races to see they voted blue. However, I doubt Driggs would meet all the list for the OP. Jackson Hole workers live in Driggs, among others. But especially their ages, their minimum wage jobs in Jackson Hole and certain Billionaires, it might be more liberal than you think. I'm not saying the residents all like deep political discussion but some do.

MSR
Hi MSR! Very interesting. As for your next post, yes, we try to learn as much as we can and make all necessary adjustments before making the move... I just had my first lesson in driving on ice at Thanksgiving when I went up to meet with contractors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonio Montana View Post
You mean Calgary. It depends on where you are in Montana. From Billings, Calgary is pretty far....but it's an easy and relatively short drive from locations in Northern/northwestern Montana. It's pretty far from anyplace in Idaho.
Our property is in the Idaho Panhandle east of Sandpoint, on the ID/MT border. MapQuest tells me we can get to Calgary in 6 hours and 17 minutes! We're planning a summer trip to Banff at some point. It isn't what I call far away, for a little road trip. But of course it isn't exactly next door.

Old 01-04-2016, 10:23 PM

347 posts, read 331,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
Hi MSR! Very interesting. As for your next post, yes, we try to learn as much as we can and make all necessary adjustments before making the move... I just had my first lesson in driving on ice at Thanksgiving when I went up to meet with contractors...

Our property is in the Idaho Panhandle east of Sandpoint, on the ID/MT border. MapQuest tells me we can get to Calgary in 6 hours and 17 minutes! We're planning a summer trip to Banff at some point. It isn't what I call far away, for a little road trip. But of course it isn't exactly next door.
I was in Banff last April. It was gorgeous! It's totally worth the 6 hour drive for your home. I love our USA Rockies, but Canada's Rockies, at least up there, are even more spectacular. I can't wait to go back again. I would even suggest it's worth paying the $100 dollar fee to get a passport if one doesn't have one yet, just to go up there and see it in person.

Old 01-04-2016, 10:33 PM

3,971 posts, read 4,075,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonio Montana View Post
I was in Banff last April. It was gorgeous! It's totally worth the 6 hour drive for your home. I love our USA Rockies, but Canada's Rockies, at least up there, are even more spectacular. I can't wait to go back again. I would even suggest it's worth paying the $100 dollar fee to get a passport if one doesn't have one yet, just to go up there and see it in person.
Yo Yo 'tone, its majestic thru-out there into OO LA La Canada. No best plac better n vs super duper western Can. Been all around the world -- Europe to US & never saw beauty as it in mtns!

Oceans are nice & beaches/cliffs preserve, yet mtns are special & u see that.

But MT beats ID for politics too, as larger states tend more freedom over its populace & thus a best air to live, prep & thrive in. Just my .02 but it seem logical, too.

OK Happy post Holidays to all here too!~ belated tho...

Old 01-05-2016, 02:05 PM

1,056 posts, read 952,667 times
OP, what will be your budget? That might rule out some places, especially in Montana.

IMO, politics is pretty much a non-issue in most peoples daily lives and should not be anywhere near your biggest consideration in moving to MT/ID. Things that should be far more of a consideration on your list:

--Do you need to find employment? If yes what do you do for a living?
--What's your budget (the West in general and Montana in particular are far more expensive than Ohio)
--What type of property/living situation you are looking for (live in town, out of town, etc)
--Do you have experience living in a rural environment?
--Will you have issues with isolation as in being at least one day's drive from the nearest major city?
--Can you handle being someplace that has no direct flights to anywhere besides a handful of hub cities?
--Do you feel a strong need to shop at the mall and at large departments stores and will you miss it if you can't? Are you okay with being at least a day's drive away from the nearest decent mall, and location of your favorite store/chain restaurant, etc?
--Can you can handle lots of wind, a very dry climate, long winters, and temperatures at times that will be 40 degrees below zero with wind chill?
--Do you mind moving somewhere where the population is very homogeneous, as in 90% white and 98% of the people who are religious being Protestant/Catholic/LDS?
--Can you go along with the live and let live philosophy or will you be trying to educate the local folk about how everything they're doing is wrong and how much better x,y, and z were in Ohio?

Old 01-05-2016, 05:05 PM

1,751 posts, read 1,638,423 times
Quote:

We will be there this spring. We got passports just for doing that trip (Banff), and plan on using the Harley, not the car!

Old 01-05-2016, 06:48 PM

1,148 posts, read 2,596,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senah
In Idaho, if you still want pretty scenery you would need to look at something like Ketchum/Hailey, however it is pretty expensive, so make sure that your job can pay for the real estate. But, very pretty. Boise is urban sprawl and not very scenic, but a great city in terms of quality of life.

Quote:
Of course the area between Ketchum and Stanley is spectacular, rivaling Jackson Hole, but North Idaho has towering mountain ranges, one of the largest, deepest lakes in the entire NW, and rivers galore. Plus great skiing. And it's nowhere near as expensive as Sun Valley. There may be good reasons why Idaho may not be a perfect fit for the OP, but you can't say it's because of lack of scenery.
Well said Clark Fork Fantast. Both states have incredible mountain scenery, I give the edge to Idaho because there are diverse mountain ranges situated around the entire state, all the Gem State's borders are mountains with the Snake River Plains in the south surrounded by mountains and the mountains are always in view. The ample plains of Montana are a lot different compared to the Snake River Plains.

Boise's suburbs sprawl just like any other cities burbs, but the city itself is compact and dense and has a downtown that offers urban amenities you will not come close to finding in Montana or Wyoming. Boise is also situated in a scenic location and is at the base of one of the largest national forests in the nation and of course the Frank Church Wilderness of No Return and Sawtooth Wilderness are close by. If you drive up the mountains above Boise and look North, East and West all you can see are mountains and more mountains and evergreens. The OP may find it interesting that the largest alpine roadless wilderness areas in the Lower 48 are in Central Idaho and many of the mountains that are hidden away in the wilderness areas would have top billing in many other states. Idaho also has the largest proportion of forested lands in the Rocky Mountain states.

For small mountain towns in Idaho, and in addition to what has already been mentioned, I would throw out McCall on the shores of Payette Lake. Incredibly beautiful and is more reminiscent of the wooded areas of Oregon and Washington. The mountains that surround McCall are among the most scenic in the west. Salmon is also in a very beautiful area. Several towns in SE Idaho south of Pocatello are also beautiful. Living in some of these towns would boil down to just how far a person wants to be from a city or large town and how isolated one wants to live.

Bend was mentioned and is also in a great location. I prefer the scenery of Idaho, Oregon, and Washington to the other western states.

Old 01-05-2016, 08:15 PM

3,971 posts, read 4,075,184 times
I think, tho Idaho is unreal nice, MT clearly has many advantages vs ID. 1st, its further from Cali migration, a HUGE plus. 2nd, a bit more interior & again a tad less desired, & so less folks encroaching on your land, etc. It has scenery MT, yet lower costs vs ID overall -- & thus a nice home can be had much less -- & so... more $ left to fix it up too -- since saving on initial buy.

Ok, random jumping in here but you all get my gist. I'm loving Idaho's ideals, yet realistically MT is a clear winner for most folks Now isolated ? is, just... where in MT suits those needs best?? Who knows, I say...

Old 01-06-2016, 12:47 AM

5,787 posts, read 9,226,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuck's Dad View Post
We will be there this spring. We got passports just for doing that trip (Banff), and plan on using the Harley, not the car!
Yay! Be sure to let us know about the ride. We're Western movie buffs, and there are so many classic Westerns from the '50s and later filmed near Banff. I think there's even a studio city outside of Calgary. So that's one of the reasons we want to go--we want to match up shots from favorite Westerns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by movintime View Post
I think, tho Idaho is unreal nice, MT clearly has many advantages vs ID. 1st, its further from Cali migration, a HUGE plus. 2nd, a bit more interior & again a tad less desired, & so less folks encroaching on your land, etc. It has scenery MT, yet lower costs vs ID overall -- & thus a nice home can be had much less -- & so... more $ left to fix it up too -- since saving on initial buy.

Ok, random jumping in here but you all get my gist. I'm loving Idaho's ideals, yet realistically MT is a clear winner for most folks Now isolated ? is, just... where in MT suits those needs best?? Who knows, I say...
I see it from a different perspective. For one thing, the CA migration in the 1990s and first decade of 2000s hit MT very hard. That's where the McMansions went up and pushed affordable property out of reach for locals, much more so than in Idaho, except for maybe Ketchum, according to what we've heard. And MT has one thing that Idaho doesn't have, and that is Western lore! The aura of MT as legendary (cowboys, ranchers, Indians, Custer, and so forth) still makes the state a magnet for dreamers. I'm not dissing that part, because I love the history and legends of the West myself, but people around the country have an instant, positive mental image of Montana, while most people can't tell Idaho from Iowa. I used to find that irritating, but now I think that works to Idaho's advantage, because ID is in fact just as crammed with fascinating Western history as Montana, it's just not as well known. People don't move to Idaho because of Legends of the Fall... (filmed in Canada, by the way! Probably Banff! )

About the lower costs: When we were looking for property in 2007/08, everything was much more expensive in NW MT than just across the border in the Idaho Panhandle. That's one of the reasons we chose to buy property in ID, less than a mile from the MT border. That may be changing, but at least in the desirable NW corner of MT property values have been much higher than in North Idaho.

But as far as I'm concerned, it isn't a matter of competition between MT and ID. Both states are magnificent as well as challenging, each in their own way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or