Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2016, 06:39 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,936,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montguy View Post
Thank you, NDak. People who are looking at Montana for relocation because they perceive it to have a predominant libertarian mindset need to be aware that yes, Montana does have, I think, plenty of people who really are libertarian (or just politically moderate to a point of "live and let live", if not left-of-center/progressive), but these people don't make the rules here, certainly not these days. With few anomalies, conservatism in Montana is aggressive, intolerant, isolationist and, strangely, very anti-capitalist relative to how it manifests politically in other states (even those which neighbor MT).
I lived in Montana most of my life and then was in Wyoming for a number of years. In both states you would hear about "those damn liberals" pretty frequently. As I said, it wasn't the majority, but enough to get annoying after a while. When I moved to North Dakota I saw a more true example of live and let live. No bitching about liberals or conservatives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2016, 08:44 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,612,356 times
But guys, come to AZ if you need see a disorganized shambles. I'd rather either MT or ID vs here. AZ has warm winters -- that's it! Ok, other than that it may as well be part of S Cali -- albeit without the cost of liv -- at least not YET. But soon it'll go, as in all good things, they don't last. So, it'll go sky high as more of Cali catches on it that it can't afford S Cali & comes here. Oh well such is the course of things, I guess.

Old 01-11-2016, 09:54 AM

138 posts, read 266,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post

funny, you had to go way up in the mountains and back to 2013 to find a sunny picture.

Cascade/McCall is not northern ID, and actually does get about 50 more days of sun a year than the areas I mentioned.

Old 01-11-2016, 12:56 PM

7,378 posts, read 12,666,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowave View Post
funny, you had to go way up in the mountains and back to 2013 to find a sunny picture.

Cascade/McCall is not northern ID, and actually does get about 50 more days of sun a year than the areas I mentioned.
Uh, no. The latest pics are from Jan.2, 2016, posted by Elousv. The pics are from the CdA National Forest. I also posted a pic myself of a sunny day from the Sandpoint webcam. All in good fun. Why so defensive?

Old 01-11-2016, 05:35 PM

387 posts, read 554,788 times
We live in SW MT and it is very sunny here all year round.

Old 01-14-2016, 12:38 AM

47 posts, read 52,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
Those pictures are beautiful. I'm hesitant due to the snow amounts however I love its beauty. I'm not really looking for din so much as the distinctive seasons. Acclimation will take some time, I'm aware of this but for my daughter and my grandson I will do most anything. She has been tired of Daytona Beach for years so this is a move that we will make. Just deciding which place to go in Idaho where she can transfer her job and not lose her rate of pay or her full time status.

Old 01-16-2016, 07:59 PM

24 posts, read 48,398 times
Sorry, I didn't get to respond immediately. No, I don't need to find employment. I have a government job that allows me to travel around a lot. Budget wise, I'd say I'm upper middle class. I am hoping to live in the mountains near a mountain town. I have lived in a rural environment meaning I have spent several summers in rural country land. For the isolation question, I'm unsure. I live in a middle-sized city right now. But for raising children maybe I will want a more secluded life? Non-direct flights are manageable. I hate large department store. Much more in favor of local, small stores. Wind is fine, plus I hear that Montana gets a lot of snow, but isn't "bone chilling." Don't mind the demographics too much. I love a variety of religions (I was a religious studies minor in college). No, I would never go to a place and act as though Ohio is better. Look, I'm willing to defend Ohio should anyone insult it, but I usually make fun of Ohio myself sometimes. I would say I'm a free spirit who is tolerant and has grown up in a severely conservative environment. Because of this, I have no qualms with different political/religious beliefs.

Old 01-17-2016, 10:33 AM

7,378 posts, read 12,666,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaginationStation View Post
Sorry, I didn't get to respond immediately. No, I don't need to find employment. I have a government job that allows me to travel around a lot. Budget wise, I'd say I'm upper middle class. I am hoping to live in the mountains near a mountain town. I have lived in a rural environment meaning I have spent several summers in rural country land. For the isolation question, I'm unsure. I live in a middle-sized city right now. But for raising children maybe I will want a more secluded life? Non-direct flights are manageable. I hate large department store. Much more in favor of local, small stores. Wind is fine, plus I hear that Montana gets a lot of snow, but isn't "bone chilling." Don't mind the demographics too much. I love a variety of religions (I was a religious studies minor in college). No, I would never go to a place and act as though Ohio is better. Look, I'm willing to defend Ohio should anyone insult it, but I usually make fun of Ohio myself sometimes. I would say I'm a free spirit who is tolerant and has grown up in a severely conservative environment. Because of this, I have no qualms with different political/religious beliefs.
You've added something important here: You probably need easy airport access ("travel around a lot"). In that case your criteria are:
  • mountain town
  • great scenery
  • somewhat liberal
  • good medical services
  • mid-sized airport within 45-60 min drive

= The smaller towns on 93 south of Missoula/outskirts of Missoula
= Coeur d'Alene with Spokane Airport 30 minutes away

So in terms of seclusion, keep in mind that there really aren't any "suburbs" to speak of (yet) in Western MT/North Idaho. You're in town--and then you're in the country. You can find "seclusion" on acreage just minutes outside of city limits, and sometimes even within city limits. But CdA is becoming a metro complex with Post Falls in the middle and Spokane to the west.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana