U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2016, 12:15 AM

14 posts, read 21,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
For me, I hunt, fish camp, hike, trap, snowshoe, I use horses for work and pleasure riding. I garden, collect wild foods in season, raise cattle for my beef, cut timber to heat my home, blacksmith, and a million other things that are for fun and part of living here.

I don't have time to waste in front of a TV watching grown men play children's games. There are semi pro teams here, various games, and 2 university football teams some folks get exited about, but in reality, among the folks I hang out with, very few pay any attention to "professional sports".

There are parties for that game in January, but its mostly just for the party, not many actually care who wins.

Too much real life fun and adventure out there to waste time sitting in front of the idiot box when there is so much to do just outside the door.

This is a different place to live than a lot of the country, Montana leads the nation in the number of people that have multiple jobs. Our weather and climate are harsh, it's expensive to live here, we're a long way from a lot of thing others take for granted. We have wildlife and woodlands that are the envy of the world.
There are a lot of strong, independent people here, but not a lot of time just to waste.

If we want to back a sports team, there is always the local high school teams. We have a unique culture here.

Honestly, I don't think not having a professional team here is any big deal to a lot of us here.

If it is important to someone, they can always pilot their recliner instead of really living in the Last Best Place on Earth.
Am I the only one who read this in Sam Elliot's voice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2016, 01:19 AM

7,682 posts, read 8,978,074 times
Wow! There sure are some rude responses to a hypothetical question.

Old 01-03-2016, 03:36 AM

113 posts, read 120,018 times
Hypothetically, Id like to see the UFC have a show in the treasure state, because I like to watch skilled athletes beat the **** out of each other for my entertainment.

Old 01-03-2016, 07:31 AM

52 posts, read 39,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan1785 View Post
It was just a hypothetical question, I'm not trying to bring a professional team to Montana, I was just interested in seeing what sports you guys enjoyed and what teams you root for. For example, idk if I could live in a state where everyone cheered for the Colorado Avalanche and SF 49ers (jk I could probably tolerate you guys). I realize that Montana doesn't have a city big enough to support a professional team, one of the reasons why I'm interested in moving to Montana is because of the plethora of small towns that you guys have. But it seems like you guys are so threatened by outsiders coming in and changing everything that you couldn't even answer a simple question.

I root for both the Bobcats and Griz... until they play each other where I root for Montana State.

The responses you are getting, IMO, is because your thread suggests bringing a professional sports franchise to Montana would be good and you're asking which one. For a great many that live there now or plan to live there, that is unwanted.

Old 01-03-2016, 09:22 AM

7,682 posts, read 8,978,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freestoneangler View Post
I root for both the Bobcats and Griz... until they play each other where I root for Montana State.

The responses you are getting, IMO, is because your thread suggests bringing a professional sports franchise to Montana would be good and you're asking which one. For a great many that live there now or plan to live there, that is unwanted.
I think you're making a bit of a leap here.

Old 01-03-2016, 10:00 AM

347 posts, read 335,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freestoneangler View Post

I'm glad to know there's at least one other person in our state besides me who roots for them both. LOL. Whenever I tell anyone here that I root for both, they tell me that's against the rules.

Old 01-03-2016, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
Wow! There sure are some rude responses to a hypothetical question.
I have to respectfully disagree. I didn't interpret Slivertip's response as rude. He was just explaining why probably most Montanans wouldn't want a big time pro sports team here. He was explaining our mindset, which is pretty foreign to the rest of the country.

By the way, we technically do have pro sports teams. Billings, Great Falls, Helena, and Missoula all have minor league baseball teams all affiliated with MLB teams. I've been to one game so far, but I'd like to go to more. They are fun!

Old 01-03-2016, 03:09 PM

14 posts, read 22,273 times
Silvertip, if your answer is that many Montanans do not care for professional sports then that's fine, that's an acceptable answer. But I'm not sure what mentioning hunting, fishing, cutting wood, camping, off-roading, and other outdoor activities has to do with anything? Almost everyone in the UP of Michigan enjoys these activities, additionally about half of those residents are big time Green Bay Packers fans (personally I can't stand the Packers). Albeit very few of them raise cattle or horse but I'll bet you'll find that Yoopers and Montanans have a lot of common interests.

Personally I'm from near Detroit and it sucks here! I'd much rather live in either the UP or Montana, even if one of those places lacks a large fan base for top tier sports.

Old 01-03-2016, 04:16 PM

1,200 posts, read 597,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by historyfan View Post
You didn't ask that. You asked which pro team type would come here.

I know hard core pro football fans...go to games hardcore. Steelers, Cowboys, Broncos, Chargers, Vikings, & Packers.
Men don't bother with the NFL anymore, rules have changed.

Old 01-03-2016, 04:49 PM

On a related note, in my experience, there are a lot of NFL football fans in Montana. Most people I meet here either root for the Broncos or the Seahawks. Some others root for the Vikings (there are a healthy number of former Minnesotans around here) and the Packers. Again, this has been my experience. I'm sure somewhere in our huge, sparsely populated state, there is at least one Cincinnati Bengals fan. :-)

Other than pro football, I think the many Montanans couldn't care less about pro sports. I've seen some interest in the MLB World Series every fall, but I haven't met any passionate fans of teams in MLB, NBA, or the NHL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or