U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2016, 04:05 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,980,449 times

Advertisements

It is an excellent idea to see Montana in the winter months prior to making the move.
Just do not buy real estate when it is under snow. I have made that mistake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2016, 07:21 PM

160 posts, read 234,413 times
Just do not buy real estate when it is under snow. I have made that mistake

I purchased my first piece of dirt with snow on it. The view is to die for.

That being said, I got lucky and won’t do the same ever again. Who knows what could potentially lie beneath the surface?

Old 01-13-2016, 07:22 PM

7,679 posts, read 8,974,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by birkinrug View Post
I'm 19, female, driving from a small town in Alabama. I'm looking for a small country town surrounded by nature, rodeos, horses, mountains, and hills. Simple and quiet. I do not have a job but am willing to drive no more than 40 minutes out of town to work. Someone recommended the town Polson. Know anything about it? Thank you for your help!
Look for a job first. Jobs are hard to come by and good paying ones even tougher. This is definitely true in Polson. I can't speak for the cost of living there, but most of the pretty areas have a high cost of living and average wages in Montana are low.

Old 01-13-2016, 09:36 PM

387 posts, read 358,563 times
I think there are some good points about knowing "what is under the surface" with properties. At the same time, if you find a property that is beautiful in the summer, but the drive is so steep that it is basically inaccessible in the winter, or that when the foliage is off the trees you can see directly into your neighbor's place, or the snow drifts into your drive and you have to get it out of the way all the time to allow people in and out, etc., this can be a HUGE deal.

We wouldn't have known that the heating in the place we looked was completely insufficient (plumbers said everything looked fine during inspection) if we hadn't looked at it in the cold weather and seen that EVERY ROOM had a space heater in it. Oh, the heating bills...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana