U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2016, 05:02 PM

3,997 posts, read 4,098,069 times

Advertisements

Can anyone link it? I saw it on AOL or Yahoo news today but didn't know if it has been discussed here. Anyone have comments on it? I know AZ here isn't great too, but all the west US (obviously the Pac NW has the rain, & so higher "supposed" rep for suicides) has higher rates due to isolation & poverty it seems, but unsure if that's so.

Yes, it is spreadout landwise from neighbors but cooler temps & less congestion should mean cooler heads & thus less overall crime though, no? Ok, this flies vs common sense to a point but I see how it could be true. Thanks for all feedback too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2016, 05:44 PM

4,646 posts, read 3,970,911 times
There is a high rate of alcoholism.

Old 02-08-2016, 06:02 PM

387 posts, read 357,947 times
I am not very clear on the second part of your post, as you seem to start talking about crime instead of the post title and first part where you are talking about suicide, so I'll just respond to the first part.

Montana is ranked by the CDC as having the 3rd highest incidence of gun suicide in the nation.

QuickStats: Age-Adjusted* Suicide† Rates, by State§ — United States, 2012

In terms of "white middle-age suicides", well, the population of Montana is 89.4% white. In terms of risk factors for suicide (and also suicide by gun):

1. Substance use is a risk factor, and Montana has one of the highest per capita consumption measures of alcohol of all the states:

http://pubs.niaaa.nih.gov/publicatio...e92/CONS09.pdf

2. Mental disorders are also a risk factor, and it has been recently estimated that up to 90% of Montanans are Vitamin D deficient. This is a hormone that is directly linked to depression when deficient.

3. Guns. Access to a firearm in the home with the addition to a plan of suicide means it is more likely that you will successfully commit suicide if you have suicidal thoughts. Montanans own a greater number of guns than people in most other states. Though this does not translate to a higher number of violent crimes, we do have a high number of suicides. In fact, only Wyoming has more household with guns than we do, but 33 states and DC all have higher per capita firearms murders than we do (and Wyoming has less than Montana):

No, states with higher gun ownership don't have more gun murders | Washington Examiner

4. Problem gambling is also a risk for suicide, and gambling is legal not only on reservations, but all over the state.

5. Lastly, and this is more a generality, a very high portion of the state is classified as rural or frontier, meaning that frequently people do not have access to medical care. Chronic health conditions that are not treated put you more at risk for suicide. An aside is that I would anecdotally postulate that as many of our smaller rural and frontier towns shrink and there is less social support and community feeling, people who feel isolated are more likely to take their own lives.

That's all I got.

Old 02-08-2016, 06:48 PM

4,885 posts, read 5,768,262 times
Seasonally affective disorder may also play a part due to the long winters with little sunlight or where you're trapped inside due to inclimate weather.

It used to be called "cabin fever", locked in away from doing things you enjoy, away from other people as some places are pretty isolated, if you have a tendency towards depression, this is not a good thing.

Some folks just can't handle being separated from crowds, or being able to go down to the local watering hole on a Saturday night.

This state is not really racially diverse, so that also skews the numbers because when you have a significant population who are of one race, all the numbers are going to be artificially skewed toward that race.

There isn't a lot of economic opportunity here, working several jobs to try and keep your family fed and warm can drag on you as exhaustion creeps up on you.

Guns don't have a real impact on the numbers, it's just a tool. In Japan for instance they have very few suicides by firearm, but a lot of suicides by hanging or gas, or by jumping in front of trains or traffic. The methods are just what's available, and the fact Montanan's have a lot of firearms has no bearing on the suicides, just the method.

Life isn't easy here, and for someone that isn't emotionally stable, it can be a pretty tough place to live even though we have so much to offer, we don't have a lot of mental health facilities or practitioners which can make it tough on those that may have a tendency or weakness that would make them consider suicide as a way out.

Old 02-08-2016, 09:24 PM

8,947 posts, read 8,050,066 times
There are things to take into consideration.

Highest rate of suicide by group, is American Indian. Remember Montana has 7 major Indian Reservations and just one can be larger than smallest state. Consider that Indian Reservations are controlled by United States Government, and they have much less opportunities than other people as there is little done to help the residents get out of poverty, etc. That rate is 27.2 per 100,000 Indians.

Montana has a high 21.66 per 100,000 youth age 15 to 24. That was a whopping total of 29.

Over 50 per 100,000 of white men over the age of 85 is another factor, nearly all men. 73% of these Men that had visited their doctor within 30 days and half of them had seen their doctor within 2 weeks was , and they committed suicide after getting their doctors reports, rather than keep suffering.

Military Veterans in Montana have a tremendous rate of 53 per 100,000. This skews the total, as Montana has a high percentage of residents that are veterans. Army veterans have the highest rate.

The title of this thread, is Montana has highest middle age suicide rate for white people. Of course as the white population is close to 90% white population, kind of distorts the figures.

And in Montana, with a small population, it is easier to keep track of suicides. On the other hand people in big cities have all kinds of ways that Montana does not have to commit suicide. Fall/jump off of a stop in front of a subway train and are killed, is rated as an accident unless there is absolute proof it is a suicide. They rate all unknown as an accident. We don't have subways here. This is just one example of suicides that get counted as accidents in bigger population areas.

Old 02-08-2016, 09:50 PM

113 posts, read 119,860 times
Goodbye cruel world

Old 02-08-2016, 11:21 PM

387 posts, read 357,947 times
Those are all good points. The good news is that Montanans spend a lot of time outdoors, and that has been shown with recent studies to counteract depression, as does exercise.

406Fire - get some Vitamin D in you fast! We need your key-tapping for any future virtual encroachment from the citizens of New Jersey!

Old 02-09-2016, 04:58 PM

1,115 posts, read 984,743 times
Probably good ol' native Montanans when they get their real estate tax bill, right after the Californians build the mansions on either end of the ranch....

Old 02-09-2016, 08:25 PM

3,997 posts, read 4,098,069 times
Ty four replies, it helps clear up some things. I realize a v high white pop but med care was iffy w/ me. Now I see diff. Also, booze/drugs are high I bet, due to isolation. The younger pop vs eastern or southern states too. So, it all makes sense.

Old 02-09-2016, 09:05 PM

8,440 posts, read 11,120,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movintime View Post
Can anyone link it? I saw it on AOL or Yahoo news today but didn't know if it has been discussed here. Anyone have comments on it? I know AZ here isn't great too, but all the west US (obviously the Pac NW has the rain, & so higher "supposed" rep for suicides) has higher rates due to isolation & poverty it seems, but unsure if that's so.

Yes, it is spreadout landwise from neighbors but cooler temps & less congestion should mean cooler heads & thus less overall crime though, no? Ok, this flies vs common sense to a point but I see how it could be true. Thanks for all feedback too.
Seattle does NOT have a higher suicide rate due to the "rain". Check out NV and other western states, excluding CA.

A lot of other reasons, but not "the rain" in Seattle. Most people with SAD relocate if they can't tolerate the rain and darker skies.

MSR
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana