U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-19-2016, 02:02 PM
 
19,952 posts, read 13,562,628 times
Reputation: 1973

Advertisements

What's it like? Good town? Big? Small? Crime? Any issues?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-19-2016, 02:54 PM
 
Location: Where the mountains touch the sky
4,883 posts, read 5,764,575 times
Reputation: 8243
You do realize that's in the middle of the Fort Peck Indian Reservation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2016, 03:51 PM
 
19,952 posts, read 13,562,628 times
Reputation: 1973
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
You do realize that's in the middle of the Fort Peck Indian Reservation?
OK? And? Is that a bad thing? Good thing? I honestly know very little about Montana, or the Indian Reservation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2016, 05:54 PM
 
4,641 posts, read 3,964,996 times
Reputation: 9712
I was surprised to see it was on the rez, I thought it was just off.

It is a pretty Caucasian small community. Serious wheat country. Mennonite High School, Lustre Christian. The K-8 public school is well thought of. I've only met a few people from there, farmers darn nice.

The public high school would be in Frazer, which I wouldn't send my child to unless I was an enrolled tribal member.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2016, 05:59 PM
 
Location: Where the mountains touch the sky
4,883 posts, read 5,764,575 times
Reputation: 8243
That depends on if you're an Indian or not.


It's the Sioux/Assiniboine Reservation, if you aren't an enrolled member of those tribes it can be tough, or a member of the local religion to fit in with the white-eyes. Reservations aren't like just moving into another state, they are semi-autonomous nations with their own laws, courts, police, and ways of doing things, and they don't necessarily follow what most folks are used to living off the rez. You don't need a passport, but it's a lot different from living in Anytown USA.


Is there a job there or something? Its a very small place and very remote and out on the high prairie. You would be hours from things like large grocery stores, department stores etc. Medical coverage can be pretty spotty as well.


That's an area where you always carry an extra can of gas in your rig because it may be 50 miles or more to the next gas station.


Visiting is one thing, living there is a whole different kettle of fish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2016, 08:56 AM
 
19,952 posts, read 13,562,628 times
Reputation: 1973
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
That depends on if you're an Indian or not.


It's the Sioux/Assiniboine Reservation, if you aren't an enrolled member of those tribes it can be tough, or a member of the local religion to fit in with the white-eyes. Reservations aren't like just moving into another state, they are semi-autonomous nations with their own laws, courts, police, and ways of doing things, and they don't necessarily follow what most folks are used to living off the rez. You don't need a passport, but it's a lot different from living in Anytown USA.


Is there a job there or something? Its a very small place and very remote and out on the high prairie. You would be hours from things like large grocery stores, department stores etc. Medical coverage can be pretty spotty as well.


That's an area where you always carry an extra can of gas in your rig because it may be 50 miles or more to the next gas station.


Visiting is one thing, living there is a whole different kettle of fish.
Thanks for the info. Just one of those deals of speculating on what the future holds and was thinking a few years ahead.

The high school thing mentioned above is something to think about, as we do a couple of teenage daughters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2016, 08:46 PM
 
10 posts, read 7,989 times
Reputation: 39
Whaaaaa? Did you just like the name or something? I'm just generalizing here, but since you are online, using a forum to find information on a town, I would guess you'd just stick out like a sore thumb, and be shunned by the community. Just being honest with you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-28-2016, 03:07 PM
 
19,952 posts, read 13,562,628 times
Reputation: 1973
Quote:
Originally Posted by bozemanite View Post
Whaaaaa? Did you just like the name or something? I'm just generalizing here, but since you are online, using a forum to find information on a town, I would guess you'd just stick out like a sore thumb, and be shunned by the community. Just being honest with you.
It would be for a job, potentially with the local caucasian community. I am also caucasian. I'd also be interested if anyone has any info on Wolf Point.

I ask these this honestly...I've never so much as visited an Indian reservation before. I know that sometimes crime is an issue in the reservation in my state, and there are other issues such as substance abuse. I am just not familiar with the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-28-2016, 04:57 PM
 
4,641 posts, read 3,964,996 times
Reputation: 9712
Amtrak runs actoss the HiLine & has a stop at Wolf Point. Passengers who live closer to Wolf Point will instead drive to Glasgow station to leave their cars.

In Wolf Point it is not considered wise to leave your car anywhere but the Sherman Inn. I believe the hotel staff monitors the parking lot. Nor is it considered wise to venture away from the hotel at night.

Some reservations are worse than others for violent crime. As a general rule with exception of the Flathead, you should consider yourself to be in a bad neighborhood anytime you are on the rez. Most are ok during daylight hours if you stick to the main thoroughfare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-29-2016, 11:08 AM
 
Location: North Dakota
7,663 posts, read 8,952,951 times
Reputation: 10938
Yeah I would avoid any reservation as much as I would avoid the inner city. High crime, lots of drugs, and plenty of unemployment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:19 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top