U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2016, 04:21 PM

3,794 posts, read 3,984,910 times

Advertisements

In Alaska you might raise cows mostly to feed yourself. The Kilchers of Alaska: The Last Frontier are a lot more long-term real than some of the other pop up shows. Though they are the singer Jewel's family.

WB might be who the OP is looking for but WB probably isn't looking for the OP? But you seem to like sharing your story on your terms here at CD. Interesting thread you got. The photos definitely make it more interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2016, 07:58 PM

Location: MA/ME (the way life should not be / the way it should be)
1,267 posts, read 976,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
In Alaska you might raise cows mostly to feed yourself. The Kilchers of Alaska: The Last Frontier are a lot more long-term real than some of the other pop up shows. Though they are the singer Jewel's family.

WB might be who the OP is looking for but WB probably isn't looking for the OP? But you seem to like sharing your story on your terms here at CD. Interesting thread you got. The photos definitely make it more interesting.
its real enough, though i thought they had a couple lawsuits. If you want real watch mountain men, those nut-jobs actually have alot of documented history doing what ever it is they do. I know one of them headed up a trappers association at one point, and the guy in NC actually had books on him throughout the years. How much it is scripted is beyond me, but these guys are defiantly not on a get rich quick scheme (or atleast didnt start that way, no telling how spoiled they are now), however honey-boo-boo made more per episode them them, in the range of 200-300% more, i think these guys make 3-5k per episode, putting them at about 30-50k per year (assuming 10 episodes).

I second going to the White-Baron, though im not sure white baron does this for his life-style, probably more of a hobby, with income from a job elsewhere, though im sure White-Baron would chime in if he wants.

Try checking with Mother-Earth-News, they have enough granola to make a bear die of obesity....

Old 05-28-2016, 08:07 PM

Also, while i think said alaska show is fake, raising cows for substinence is done alot (out in rural new england, as well as pigs), and not so much for the money. Out here you can raise a few cows easily, but theres not enough open space to raise more than a few head, as its all thick wood forests, or concrete jungles, and mostly the latter. So despite any views on thew show (i hate that one, its not a guilty pleasure, more of a guilty i-just-smashed-the-tv), alot of people do raise animals just for substinence, and not all are mother-earth-news type readers, i know a few who are (attracted to it for the naturey aspect, aka m.e.n. they are also heavy liberals), and a few who do it to not be dependent on the gov'ment (tend to be strong conserveratives). The latters tend to do it much better than the first, as they care less about the environment being healthy for the animals trees and fish, but rather want to keep it producing. I personally identify more with the latter.

Once again, i am not trying to stereotype any person/group, merely stating what i notice as the prevalent attitude.

Old 06-19-2016, 10:30 PM

27 posts, read 49,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKezarWoodsman View Post
its real enough, though i thought they had a couple lawsuits. If you want real watch mountain men, those nut-jobs actually have alot of documented history doing what ever it is they do. I know one of them headed up a trappers association at one point, and the guy in NC actually had books on him throughout the years. How much it is scripted is beyond me, but these guys are defiantly not on a get rich quick scheme (or atleast didnt start that way, no telling how spoiled they are now), however honey-boo-boo made more per episode them them, in the range of 200-300% more, i think these guys make 3-5k per episode, putting them at about 30-50k per year (assuming 10 episodes).

I second going to the White-Baron, though im not sure white baron does this for his life-style, probably more of a hobby, with income from a job elsewhere, though im sure White-Baron would chime in if he wants.

Try checking with Mother-Earth-News, they have enough granola to make a bear die of obesity....
Heres my problem with the mountain man show and their depiction of Tom Orr. He lives in the yaak valley about 40 miles or so due north of me. His nearest town is probably Troy, his neighbor owns Linehan outfitters which is in Troy. The show says Tom lives 100 miles from the nearest grocery store.....simply not true. I'm pretty sure Troy has a small grocer, I'm know Libby has one which is way under 100 miles even if you count it round trip, and Bonner's Ferry in Idaho has a number of stores and isnt far. In Montana the only way you could possibly be that far from a grocery store is if you're on one of the giant ranches out east. We're secluded here but we're not isolated. History channel lied to you, there's nothing real about reality TV.

Old 06-20-2016, 07:17 PM

I was refering to that show being more real than some of the other ones. Take live free or die for instance, that one is clearly acting alot, the guys might know what they are "doing" but they are not doing it. MM for the most part hides it, and most of its stars have some documented history as stated. In some parts it is clearly acting like any reality tv show.

as well i never caught them saying he was far away from stores, they have said there are no jobs up there in commuting distance, and that stores were a distance in winter, but never 100+miles, for any of the characters but one of the alaskan folks (assuming the area on the map is true, then he is well over 100+ miles).

That one in maine was smart, and stupid. My favorite thing about him was how they claimed he is in NW Aroostook (30 people in about 5000 sq miles), when you always saw houses whenever hes up high, very far out in the distance, and very few of them, but still houses. Also the views make me think it was more south east arroostook, around the Presque Isle/Caribou Area (probally means nothing to yall, but a quick google search will show what i mean).

Old 06-20-2016, 09:51 PM

242 posts, read 199,774 times
The WB isn't interested in any tv series. I hardly watch it given the nonsense it spews these days. My 'tv series' is what I put out myself.

If they want to speak to a hard-core bunker survivalist I can put them in touch with a wild mountain man (even more remote than I am). So if they read this, PM me and I will relay the details...

Old 06-21-2016, 06:21 AM

4,882 posts, read 5,763,319 times
While I did like a couple of the Mountain Men, some (like Useless in Carolina), just grated like chewing sand. I can't stand the vast majority of tv these days, but the wife is addicted to the gator guys and the crab guys and the 37 veterinarian show and the 250 dog shows, so I paid the cable bill for her.

The only show I actually watched was Forged in Fire as I do blacksmithing, and while the dialog wasn't too good, a lot of times, what they were doing was real and I enjoyed seeing guys make the same mistakes I have, plus, some of those guys were really skilled smiths and seeing their technique and work was a great pleasure to me.

The other day I came home from work and the wife had the tv on, and it was particularly insipid, I was very tired from working a lot of OVT, and the cable bill came in.

The combination made my decision very easy. We no longer have TV. We do have internet so the wife can watch her shows on Hulu or whatever, but I am no longer paying for 867 "sports" channels I never watch, 150 Spanish language channels I don't watch, all the cooking channels and travel channels and channels where they use high pressure techniques to sell junk.

It's been nearly a month now with no TV, and I am much happier! I have the radio on for background noise in the shop, I get out of the house to do my work in the shop I'm not sitting on the couch trying to find anything worth watching, I'm not listening to all the "Trump is evil" and "Hillary is the second coming" garbage on the news, so I feel better, I have more energy, and I have a lot more time for doing stuff.

I should have done this years ago!

I bought a dvd player and some old tv shows I actually did like such as Married with Children, so if I want to watch something, I can go to You-tube for the Beverly Hillbillies or Hogan's Heroes, or Hulu for Last Man Standing, or my DVDs. Quality programing I can actually enjoy watching even though I've seen just about all the episodes, late at night after the work is done I can sit down, watch a 1/2 hour of quality programs, and go to bed happy. My shows on my schedule.

You know, the quality of life is so much better when you're doing what you want and you have the control instead of sitting around letting someone else entertain you.
It's Summer in Montana!! The fishing is pretty good, it's light until almost 10 at night, the grass is green, the garden's growing, Live is pretty good when you live your own reality show on your own terms.

Old 06-21-2016, 08:10 AM

No better way to put it MtSilverTip.

If i may ask the revivor, how far back was this thread? Its seems like its been awhile.

Old 06-22-2016, 12:26 PM

1,687 posts, read 1,225,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
While I did like a couple of the Mountain Men, some (like Useless in Carolina), just grated like chewing sand. I can't stand the vast majority of tv these days, but the wife is addicted to the gator guys and the crab guys and the 37 veterinarian show and the 250 dog shows, so I paid the cable bill for her.

The only show I actually watched was Forged in Fire as I do blacksmithing, and while the dialog wasn't too good, a lot of times, what they were doing was real and I enjoyed seeing guys make the same mistakes I have, plus, some of those guys were really skilled smiths and seeing their technique and work was a great pleasure to me.

The other day I came home from work and the wife had the tv on, and it was particularly insipid, I was very tired from working a lot of OVT, and the cable bill came in.

The combination made my decision very easy. We no longer have TV. We do have internet so the wife can watch her shows on Hulu or whatever, but I am no longer paying for 867 "sports" channels I never watch, 150 Spanish language channels I don't watch, all the cooking channels and travel channels and channels where they use high pressure techniques to sell junk.

It's been nearly a month now with no TV, and I am much happier! I have the radio on for background noise in the shop, I get out of the house to do my work in the shop I'm not sitting on the couch trying to find anything worth watching, I'm not listening to all the "Trump is evil" and "Hillary is the second coming" garbage on the news, so I feel better, I have more energy, and I have a lot more time for doing stuff.

I should have done this years ago!

I bought a dvd player and some old tv shows I actually did like such as Married with Children, so if I want to watch something, I can go to You-tube for the Beverly Hillbillies or Hogan's Heroes, or Hulu for Last Man Standing, or my DVDs. Quality programing I can actually enjoy watching even though I've seen just about all the episodes, late at night after the work is done I can sit down, watch a 1/2 hour of quality programs, and go to bed happy. My shows on my schedule.

You know, the quality of life is so much better when you're doing what you want and you have the control instead of sitting around letting someone else entertain you.
It's Summer in Montana!! The fishing is pretty good, it's light until almost 10 at night, the grass is green, the garden's growing, Live is pretty good when you live your own reality show on your own terms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana