U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2016, 09:00 PM

242 posts, read 199,199 times

Advertisements

Walls are next too, just finished with the measurements for four wall sections...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2016, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
Cool!

So how much did those panels set you back, and what did it take to hook them up to be useful?

<eyeing back porch roof that gets sun all day long despite pointing north>
Oh I paid a pretty penny alas for them back in 2011!!!

Unisolar PVL68 68W laminate Solar Panel

They are even cheaper now! I paid 210 each! Just shows how much they have plunged in price...

Old 06-16-2016, 09:53 PM

This is the cross beam for the back door into the garage.

I had to mill it so it would fit under the blocking.

Old 06-16-2016, 09:55 PM

I had to get pretty creative in order to pull the beam in place due to a bend...

Here it is installed and in position:

The drill bit I used for the lag screw! It was pushed to the limit in order to pierce the thick hide of the larch log....

Old 06-16-2016, 10:11 PM

It's time to make some stairs now.

Old 06-16-2016, 10:24 PM

7,538 posts, read 12,553,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-White-Baron View Post
Oh I paid a pretty penny alas for them back in 2011!!!

Unisolar PVL68 68W laminate Solar Panel

They are even cheaper now! I paid 210 each! Just shows how much they have plunged in price...
Not so bad! Will be interested to hear how they perform over the next year or so. Also, how tough the surface is (we get enough hail for that to be a consideration). Tho I suppose a person could leave 'em loose and roll 'em up when the weather's bad.

Was thinking it might work as a power source for the UPSs that feed the computers, since they're on all the time and are probably the major draw here other than the well pump. UPS would even out the power quality and even if it only charged 'em during the day... at that price they'd still be in the black pretty quick.

Old 06-16-2016, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
Not so bad! Will be interested to hear how they perform over the next year or so. Also, how tough the surface is (we get enough hail for that to be a consideration). Tho I suppose a person could leave 'em loose and roll 'em up when the weather's bad.

Was thinking it might work as a power source for the UPSs that feed the computers, since they're on all the time and are probably the major draw here other than the well pump. UPS would even out the power quality and even if it only charged 'em during the day... at that price they'd still be in the black pretty quick.
They are designed for marine boats at sea so should cope with the hail etc. No way can these be rolled up once the adhesive is on them, you've destroy the panels.

Old 06-16-2016, 10:36 PM

Here's the install story.

First I had to make up some spars for the panels to sit on.

I used a special secret tape to seal-up the screws as they anchor the spars in too....

Old 06-16-2016, 10:41 PM

Going up to drill these babies down:

I'd like to stick the panels on to the spars but the special glue stuff is more designed for metal and fibreglass.
So I have to get some OSB boards with metal flashing made up.

Here's some I prepared earlier:

However I haven't yet glued them down and it isn't an easy task.

You can't just flop the panels down in one go, you have to roll them out carefully. Sounds not too hard though? Well these panels are five years old and the adhesive is almost sticking to the backing paper! I use a knife to gently persuade it otherwise:

The glue stuff is some of the stickiest I've ever come across! Seriously it's almost like superglue!

Old 06-16-2016, 10:44 PM

The panels are ready for the big solo lift, but they are heavy and I'm a one man construction army at this thing:

Alley Oppps!

Panel One is laid down and locked-in!

i have to get the next set of spars done. Then it's the next one's turn:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or