U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2016, 10:34 PM

242 posts, read 199,826 times

Advertisements

Time to get some more logs for the big cabin build ready.

Dragging it in.

I will hope to get the floor finished this week...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2016, 07:35 PM

Location: MA/ME (the way life should not be / the way it should be)
1,267 posts, read 976,257 times
I want to know how you fund this stuff, or even get time off of work for this, great craftsmanship yes, my dream life, pretty damm close, but how does this work out?

Old 05-31-2016, 07:41 PM

3,993 posts, read 4,095,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKezarWoodsman View Post
I want to know how you fund this stuff, or even get time off of work for this, great craftsmanship yes, my dream life, pretty damm close, but how does this work out?
I agree. Time or money seem mutually exclusive. Same deal here.

Either you've got time & no loot or loot & no clock. Take your pick. When older, time counts more but if younger loot. But anyway, that's a segway, so back to MT vs ID vs WY vs ME vs France, Germany, Italy, Spain, hahah, you get the gist, hehee... ?

I am getting more snarled the more I think/look. Pick a state & FOCUS, & run w/ it -- is what dad told me prior to his passing recently. Guess I need do that & stop wasting time, eh?

Old 05-31-2016, 07:54 PM

7,540 posts, read 12,571,634 times
So you're building the porch first, then the cabin? or two separate buildings?

Old 05-31-2016, 08:27 PM

Location: MA/ME (the way life should not be / the way it should be)
1,267 posts, read 976,257 times
Ehh, people just think im crazy, snd my diabeties make them think my dreams are extremely lunatic like, which as long as i can make 25-30k, is not to bad, i plan about 10k per year medical expenses (5k for great control, as in near perfect, 10k is average 15k for those who are much older, or running at 180+ 24/7 (a non diabetic runs 80-120, with up to 150 very very very very rarley (as in you just had 2 dozen cokes). I would trade many amenities other people use to live the lifestyle i would perfer, and could probally make do in most states at 20-30k but COL seems to make that unlikely up in MT. My medical supplies could be 25-50% of the total cost if i could legally import from canada, but alas the FDA wont allow it.

If i had my withers i would be in Remote NW MT, or as far northwest into The county as you can go (aroostook in maine). but you need a job, or other way to make money, and theres only so many things you can do for money, and sadly trapping is not a viable way anymore (unless you can transform the pelts into other items, then selling online you can make a decent amount if mixed with other income sources, such as cutting/selling firewood, xmas trees (those sell for about $100 each here in Ma, plowing, ect.).

Old 06-08-2016, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKezarWoodsman View Post
Prying much?!

I work part of the year and don't for the rest. It's as simple as that.

I am good at budgeting and not wasting money on chasing nonsense. Plus I have other minor income streams.

Old 06-08-2016, 10:50 PM

7,540 posts, read 12,571,634 times
Hmm. We may have discovered its real purpose... it's the Baron's hideout!

Old 06-08-2016, 11:00 PM

Ok here's the latest batch of updates.

I bought 6 sheets of fine 3/4" pine boards of 4x8 dimensions. That's nearly 200 sq ft!

These were nearly $30 per sheet but I get a discount so its not too bad. I woodstained one of them too.

It took three sheets to take up the bulk of the area.

These were nice to walk on, with no sagging or creeking in nearly all areas. However if I jumped up and down there was a little creak.

Despite the linseed oil I'd coated the first one in and it drying, there were still marks on it. The pine really shows up scuffs too. Later on I'll probably put a laquerred floor over it.

It was the remaining areas that were a challenge. Not only did they require off-cuts from the other 3 remaining sheets, there was no room for much error, I had to make each one fit around the relevant logs!

This was not to mention the addition of blocking too!

Just look at the measurement calculations! It wasn't calculus, but it wasn't far off either!

I was never that good at algebra but it was time to put my math to the test!

There were seven pieces crafted using a skilsaw, jigsaw, drill and sandpaper. I semi-cheated at the end using a power planer but more on this later.

By the time I was finished, I did not want to do another floor in a hurry let me tell you!

Nevertheless despite a few wide holes around posts nearly all the floor is level.

Old 06-08-2016, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
Hmm. We may have discovered its real purpose... it's the Baron's hideout!
I like my OPSEC.

Old 06-08-2016, 11:13 PM

Tools of the trade:

Then there were the Measurements and measurements and more measurements.

It took me just under 3 weeks technically but I was doing other things too like digging and other chores.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or