U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2008, 12:42 PM

1 posts, read 3,237 times

Advertisements

First, from what I can tell, this is a great forum full of polite and helpful people. I am very appreciative that folks like you all are willing to volunteer time and knowledge to help soon-to-be Montanans.

I am a newly married North Carolinian soon to be commissioned in the Air Force. My first assignment is Great Falls, MT and we should be moving this summer. I have never lived anywhere else and the closest to Montana I have visited is Denver, CO. My wife is a nurse and hasn't visited nearby either. I would like to ask a few questions and if anyone has any thoughts, please offer them up.

1) How is the housing market in Great Falls? Boom, bust, something in between. We will be moving elsewhere in ~3 years, so may be unable to ride out a downward trend, if that is the case. Plus, we have never owned or shopped for a home before, so are a little naive about what to look for. We may rent also if that is a better option. If nothing comes up, we can always live on base, but would prefer to look elsewhere first.

2) What is the job market like for nurses in Great Falls? My wife will be ~1 year removed from graduation with a BSN. Benefis seems like a good place to work.

3) What type of shopping opportunities exist. My wife is worried she won't get her fix .

4) Are there any well-regarded trout streams in the area? I love to fly-fish whenever I can.

5) Are there any neighborhoods we should seek out/avoid when looking at homes to rent or buy?

6) Are there any good day trips around Great Falls?

7) Northerners always picked on the native North Carolinians for our pitiful ability to drive on snowy roads. Probably well deserved. Any advice on how to approach this next winter? Also, I have a Toyota Corolla, but we plan to buy my wife a new car/suv. Any advice on whether 4/all-wheel drive is a worthwhile investment in Montana weather.

I have more questions, but I've asked too many already. Thanks in advance for all your help and hopefully the winter isn't treating ya'll badly.

Dan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2008, 01:12 AM

3 posts, read 17,377 times
Default Hope you enjoy Great Falls for what it is

Well, There is a huge demand for nurses in the area, fishing close by(as in most of Montana), Winters can be fairly harsh, but not bad when you get used to them, just about any neiborhood is fine and safe because Great Falls, being of only 59,000 citizens has great services when it comes to police, ambulance and fire fighting. Shopping gets better and better every year. Consider Walmart, Ross, Sears, JC Penny, Old navy, and a laundry list of other franchises and local venues. I can't tell you much about real-estate, but most establishments cator to the military in Great Falls
Quote:
Originally Posted by dma643 View Post
First, from what I can tell, this is a great forum full of polite and helpful people. I am very appreciative that folks like you all are willing to volunteer time and knowledge to help soon-to-be Montanans.

I am a newly married North Carolinian soon to be commissioned in the Air Force. My first assignment is Great Falls, MT and we should be moving this summer. I have never lived anywhere else and the closest to Montana I have visited is Denver, CO. My wife is a nurse and hasn't visited nearby either. I would like to ask a few questions and if anyone has any thoughts, please offer them up.

1) How is the housing market in Great Falls? Boom, bust, something in between. We will be moving elsewhere in ~3 years, so may be unable to ride out a downward trend, if that is the case. Plus, we have never owned or shopped for a home before, so are a little naive about what to look for. We may rent also if that is a better option. If nothing comes up, we can always live on base, but would prefer to look elsewhere first.

2) What is the job market like for nurses in Great Falls? My wife will be ~1 year removed from graduation with a BSN. Benefis seems like a good place to work.

3) What type of shopping opportunities exist. My wife is worried she won't get her fix .

4) Are there any well-regarded trout streams in the area? I love to fly-fish whenever I can.

5) Are there any neighborhoods we should seek out/avoid when looking at homes to rent or buy?

6) Are there any good day trips around Great Falls?

7) Northerners always picked on the native North Carolinians for our pitiful ability to drive on snowy roads. Probably well deserved. Any advice on how to approach this next winter? Also, I have a Toyota Corolla, but we plan to buy my wife a new car/suv. Any advice on whether 4/all-wheel drive is a worthwhile investment in Montana weather.

I have more questions, but I've asked too many already. Thanks in advance for all your help and hopefully the winter isn't treating ya'll badly.

Dan

Old 02-16-2008, 08:36 AM

2 posts, read 6,970 times
Dan - I currently live in GF - been here since 96. I like it here as it's a 'home like' feel. The base is on the east end of town. Benefis seems to always be expanding and building. As far as housing - I feel there is lot to offer here in GF - pending what you are looking for. We have a nice 3 bdrm 2 bath house with an oversized garage - of course we came upon this deal as a foreclosure so it was great. A corner lot close to 10th Ave South/mall/easy access streets.

You didn't mention children so pending your status there the local grade school may influence your decision in location. I don't have kids nor did I go to school here so I'm not that good a reference in that area. We do though have a school close to our house. I think you just have to be patient and do some looking around - that maybe where a realator will be helpful. I found this house by driving around.

Fishing - oh of cousre. When / if we move to Billings we are going to miss the closeness of it all. The Missouri River runs through GF though more people seem to use it for boating pleaure but there is areas to fish off the bank. But yes, much fishing, hunting, camping, hiking available and all within mintues upto 2 hours away. We enjoy Holter Lake which is about 60 miles south towards the Capital, Helena. Lots of boating and fishing there; we have a toy hauler camper, no boat and my husband enjoys the fishing from shore just fine.

Shopping - well that depends on your wife. I'm not a big shopper so our JC Penny, Herbergers, Sears, Dragonfly Drygoods, may not satisfy - so therefore Helena 87 miles south not quite 2 hours south has a Macy's then there is Billings and Missoula which offer more shopping - they are each about 6 hours away and then Spokane, Washington is about 6 hours away. And of course online shopping too.

I think you'll be satisfied once you arrive and have time to explore the area. It's of course going to be an adjustment - most people say that who have moved here for the Base.

Hope that helped you some. I just found out the 14th I'm eligible for a job in Billings so if all goes well and I'm offered a job I presume my move will be happening about April. My husband will have to stay behind to sell our house and then catch up with me and find a job in Billings so likely won't catch ya in the interim.

Oh by the way - if your wife is looking at Benefis - I'd of course contact them and maybe start putting in apps now or getting her name out there.

Best wishes,
~W
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana