U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2016, 12:21 PM

1,710 posts, read 1,239,557 times

Advertisements

What kind of vehicles are recommended in Montana?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2016, 09:12 PM

3,830 posts, read 4,008,636 times
4wd and AWD are good, especially if you live in the country. Rear wheel drive and low clearance can be less good. As important as the vehicle is, being a careful and attentive driver is the most important. Sometimes you stay in or get off road if it is bad. But if you drive at normal times on main roads, the plows and road traffic will usually keep things passable.

Old 06-16-2016, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
4wd and AWD are good, especially if you live in the country. Rear wheel drive and low clearance can be less good. As important as the vehicle is, being a careful and attentive driver is the most important. Sometimes you stay in or get off road if it is bad. But if you drive at normal times on main roads, the plows and road traffic will usually keep things passable.
Looks like the Challenger and Corvette has to stay in the garage during the winters.
Maybe a Subaru is needed in this case.

Old 06-17-2016, 07:40 AM

7,540 posts, read 12,581,125 times
Back in the evil winters of the 1970s, my neighbor across the road outside of Belgrade drove a kit-Corvette (don't know what was under the shell). I drove a '63 Olds F-85 which was a hot sports car in its day. We both did all right... studded snow tires on all four wheels and you couldn't MAKE the F-85 slide on ice. (No more after-hours skating fun in Albertson's parking lot, which back then was a sheet of glass all winter.) And with enough weight in the trunk for balance, it was pretty good in snow as deep as you'd want to drive any little car in.

The other trick is stiff tires. The years I had 6-ply highway tires on the Olds, I didn't need snow tires at all.

Old 06-17-2016, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
Back in the evil winters of the 1970s, my neighbor across the road outside of Belgrade drove a kit-Corvette (don't know what was under the shell). I drove a '63 Olds F-85 which was a hot sports car in its day. We both did all right... studded snow tires on all four wheels and you couldn't MAKE the F-85 slide on ice. (No more after-hours skating fun in Albertson's parking lot, which back then was a sheet of glass all winter.) And with enough weight in the trunk for balance, it was pretty good in snow as deep as you'd want to drive any little car in.

The other trick is stiff tires. The years I had 6-ply highway tires on the Olds, I didn't need snow tires at all.
Well up to now my favorite cars have all been rear wheel drive. Used to own a FWD Honda CRX. I hope I don't have to give up these cars.

Old 06-17-2016, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
Well up to now my favorite cars have all been rear wheel drive. Used to own a FWD Honda CRX. I hope I don't have to give up these cars.
Me, I hate FWD. It's like towing ALL the time, and if there's any real weight in back and the surface is slick... the fishtailing can get downright alarming.

The reason FWD got pushed so hard is not because it's better (it's not -- it's less durable and it's harder to repair). Rather, because it reduces vehicle weight by around 500 pounds... and weight affects fuel use. Internal combustion engines have been about as efficient as they can get for a long time, so the only way for automakers to meet newer EPA gas mileage requirements was to reduce total vehicle weight.

Incidentally, same for rack-and-pinion steering. Better in very limited applications, worse in most, but -- it weighs less, and being associated with race cars, it advertises REALLY well.

Old 06-17-2016, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Me, I hate FWD. It's like towing ALL the time, and if there's any real weight in back and the surface is slick... the fishtailing can get downright alarming.

The reason FWD got pushed so hard is not because it's better (it's not -- it's less durable and it's harder to repair). Rather, because it reduces vehicle weight by around 500 pounds... and weight affects fuel use. Internal combustion engines have been about as efficient as they can get for a long time, so the only way for automakers to meet newer EPA gas mileage requirements was to reduce total vehicle weight.

Incidentally, same for rack-and-pinion steering. Better in very limited applications, worse in most, but -- it weighs less, and being associated with race cars, it advertises REALLY well.

I have only owned one FWD car in my life and I notice you get a lot more leg room with that set up but that is no concern of mine. It's just the snow we have to be concerned about. Probably ice too.

Old 06-17-2016, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
I have only owned one FWD car in my life and I notice you get a lot more leg room with that set up but that is no concern of mine. It's just the snow we have to be concerned about. Probably ice too.
Legroom can depend on a lot of things. If being FWD is a requirement, someone really messed up when they designed my truck.

I've only driven one FWD regularly, that being my neighbor's Dodge minivan, and hated every moment. Especially when we were bringing home a load of feed on a rainy night. Had to keep it under 50mph to avoid spinning off the road. As to legroom, it apparently was designed to drive in the lotus position.

Old 06-17-2016, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Legroom can depend on a lot of things. If being FWD is a requirement, someone really messed up when they designed my truck.

I've only driven one FWD regularly, that being my neighbor's Dodge minivan, and hated every moment. Especially when we were bringing home a load of feed on a rainy night. Had to keep it under 50mph to avoid spinning off the road. As to legroom, it apparently was designed to drive in the lotus position.
wELL I PLAN on getting a Hellcat Challenger so that can't be the kind of car to have in the snow so I know I will have to get some other type of vehicle maybe like a Subaru or some type of AWD or 4 wheel drive.
But if I could get by with the above types of cars I like that would be great. What we are dealing with here is that snow and ice.

Old 06-17-2016, 10:54 AM

When my sister lived in Alaska, she said the Subarus were like ants, they were everywhere. So probably a good choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or