U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-02-2016, 09:06 PM
 
61 posts, read 46,381 times
Reputation: 25

Advertisements

While the property prices can be much higher here than Texas, it's variable, and what I didn't see mentioned in a quick skim was the property taxes in Texas. Significantly higher than what we've seen here in Montana. Plus homeowners insurance and car insurance. All significantly higher and that can be unexpected for some people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-02-2016, 09:11 PM
 
Location: San Francisco
1,710 posts, read 1,239,557 times
Reputation: 532
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiaDeMuertos View Post
While the property prices can be much higher here than Texas, it's variable, and what I didn't see mentioned in a quick skim was the property taxes in Texas. Significantly higher than what we've seen here in Montana. Plus homeowners insurance and car insurance. All significantly higher and that can be unexpected for some people.
It can't be worse than CommieFornicate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2016, 07:45 PM
 
83 posts, read 86,202 times
Reputation: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiaDeMuertos View Post
While the property prices can be much higher here than Texas, it's variable, and what I didn't see mentioned in a quick skim was the property taxes in Texas. Significantly higher than what we've seen here in Montana. Plus homeowners insurance and car insurance. All significantly higher and that can be unexpected for some people.
True. I've looked into TX and I think property taxes IIRC are the 2nd highest in the nation. Even ahead of CA. People say "but there's no income tax" but it's probably a wash when it comes to paying property taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2016, 10:44 AM
 
Location: San Francisco
1,710 posts, read 1,239,557 times
Reputation: 532
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayne Cobb View Post
True. I've looked into TX and I think property taxes IIRC are the 2nd highest in the nation. Even ahead of CA. People say "but there's no income tax" but it's probably a wash when it comes to paying property taxes.
But weatherwise isn't Texas very hot in climate? Even by the water? They get hurricanes down there.


I don't think Montana gets as hot as Texas does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2016, 06:55 PM
 
Location: Austin
140 posts, read 84,312 times
Reputation: 190
Yes the property taxes in Texas are very high but as far as property value goes its all about location. There are a lot of nice places once you leave the big city and you dont mind a commute. Its money that is suppose to be used for schools but you could have fooled me with the way things are these days. And it definitely does its share of damage. I cant tell you how many people I know from Austin who had their mortgage paid off 20 years ago, some much longer, but had to sell their homes anyway, all because they built a Carls Jr. down the street. Other states have a lower property tax but they also have a state tax system so Texas ends up being a pretty affordable place. Personally I found land to be much more expensive in Texas than in Montana, even in the rural areas. However If youre retiring or dont need work you could find really cheap land if you dont mind living near the border with Mexico. Beautiful deserts down there and the weathers not bad.

I went to every "major" city in Montana when i visited and I certainly didnt see the insane development Ive seen everywhere else and that includes Alaska. Thats what makes it so special to me. The state is riddled with public land and jobs even in the city are few and far between. Many people i met there jumped off the money train long ago just so they could be there and they have no regrets about it. Its a very preserved state and its nice that theres a place like that left in our country. The girlfriend took a job in Bellingham so thats where were heading but were currently in Livingston, MT for a week then off to Missoula for a few days. If I ever did move here and look for land Id prefer the southwest side. Rather than solid wilderness It has so many diverse ranges zigzaging all over the place. My favorite are the Crazy Mountains. They're just so damn crazy. Hopefully one day I'll be able to do that because its a great state with great beer and some really nice people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2016, 07:22 PM
 
Location: San Francisco
1,710 posts, read 1,239,557 times
Reputation: 532
Quote:
Originally Posted by robcat33 View Post
Yes the property taxes in Texas are very high but as far as property value goes its all about location. There are a lot of nice places once you leave the big city and you dont mind a commute. Its money that is suppose to be used for schools but you could have fooled me with the way things are these days. And it definitely does its share of damage. I cant tell you how many people I know from Austin who had their mortgage paid off 20 years ago, some much longer, but had to sell their homes anyway, all because they built a Carls Jr. down the street. Other states have a lower property tax but they also have a state tax system so Texas ends up being a pretty affordable place. Personally I found land to be much more expensive in Texas than in Montana, even in the rural areas. However If youre retiring or dont need work you could find really cheap land if you dont mind living near the border with Mexico. Beautiful deserts down there and the weathers not bad.

I went to every "major" city in Montana when i visited and I certainly didnt see the insane development Ive seen everywhere else and that includes Alaska. Thats what makes it so special to me. The state is riddled with public land and jobs even in the city are few and far between. Many people i met there jumped off the money train long ago just so they could be there and they have no regrets about it. Its a very preserved state and its nice that theres a place like that left in our country. The girlfriend took a job in Bellingham so thats where were heading but were currently in Livingston, MT for a week then off to Missoula for a few days. If I ever did move here and look for land Id prefer the southwest side. Rather than solid wilderness It has so many diverse ranges zigzaging all over the place. My favorite are the Crazy Mountains. They're just so damn crazy. Hopefully one day I'll be able to do that because its a great state with great beer and some really nice people.
Just remember:
To be absolutely safe from all of this you just need to go somewhere where there is less government and tryanny and corruption that follows it. That's where your $$$ goes and the development takes over and people loose their homes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2016, 10:45 AM
 
83 posts, read 86,202 times
Reputation: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by robcat33 View Post
Yes the property taxes in Texas are very high but as far as property value goes its all about location. There are a lot of nice places once you leave the big city and you dont mind a commute. Its money that is suppose to be used for schools but you could have fooled me with the way things are these days. And it definitely does its share of damage. I cant tell you how many people I know from Austin who had their mortgage paid off 20 years ago, some much longer, but had to sell their homes anyway, all because they built a Carls Jr. down the street. Other states have a lower property tax but they also have a state tax system so Texas ends up being a pretty affordable place. Personally I found land to be much more expensive in Texas than in Montana, even in the rural areas. However If youre retiring or dont need work you could find really cheap land if you dont mind living near the border with Mexico. Beautiful deserts down there and the weathers not bad.

I went to every "major" city in Montana when i visited and I certainly didnt see the insane development Ive seen everywhere else and that includes Alaska. Thats what makes it so special to me. The state is riddled with public land and jobs even in the city are few and far between. Many people i met there jumped off the money train long ago just so they could be there and they have no regrets about it. Its a very preserved state and its nice that theres a place like that left in our country. The girlfriend took a job in Bellingham so thats where were heading but were currently in Livingston, MT for a week then off to Missoula for a few days. If I ever did move here and look for land Id prefer the southwest side. Rather than solid wilderness It has so many diverse ranges zigzaging all over the place. My favorite are the Crazy Mountains. They're just so damn crazy. Hopefully one day I'll be able to do that because its a great state with great beer and some really nice people.
Nice post, thanks for the info. Everything makes sense from what I've researched except for when you say you've found land to be much more expensive in TX than MT, even rurally. Interesting. I'll have to keep researching that. But from what I've seen, I can get 5 acres for almost half the price up front in most places in TX, except for the urban areas, of course. What would cost 500K in MT would be 250 or 300K in TX. And from what I understand it's anywhere here in the West where the feds own so much of the land; it's simple supply and demand. UT is expensive, CO, etc.

Livingston is a beautiful area. Hope you guys enjoy it, even though it's temporary.

And hey, since you mentioned Missoula....if you like coffee (and why wouldn't you )check out Black Coffee Roasting Co. Home - Black Coffee Roasting Company It's some of the best black brew I've ever had.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2016, 05:36 PM
 
727 posts, read 924,561 times
Reputation: 1324
Missoula just passed a law requiring background checks for private firearm sales. So the second largest city in Montana is now part of California.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2016, 05:57 PM
 
Location: Where the mountains touch the sky
4,896 posts, read 5,775,084 times
Reputation: 8271
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwumpus View Post
Missoula just passed a law requiring background checks for private firearm sales. So the second largest city in Montana is now part of California.
There's a reason why Missoula is commonly known as "Berkley North"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2016, 06:17 PM
 
160 posts, read 234,467 times
Reputation: 184
Missoula is definitely “Berkley of the Rockies”.

If you think land is less expensive in Montana than Texas, double check the formulas on your spreadsheet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:31 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top