U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2016, 05:10 PM

140 posts, read 91,524 times

Advertisements

Im brand spanking new to city data but I thought it would be a great way to interact with locals. The girlfriend and a I are planning a trip to Montana this month for a brief visit. Ive done quite a lot of research on the state itself and wanted to inquire what life in this beautiful place would be like if I ever relocated. Im a 30 years old and shes 28. Were hard workers who just happened upon some inheritance, and we have just enough to use as an opportunity to make a new start somewhere else.
Im from Austin but grew up a military brat and lived in many different states, Alaska among others, so Im accustomed to extreme temperatures. And I love snow but winter access to residency is important too. Any areas around Missoula that would be good for someone who prefers to live as secluded as possible year round? Ive been eyeing the communities of Superior and St. Regis. I currently work at a coffeeshop in the AM and part time with UPS in the evenings and she works for the TXDeptofTransportation. Were not as career minded as a lot of other people and tend to go with the flow. But we want to keep to areas where we could commute to Missoula as we will need to find work elsewhere. I also plan on finishing my bachelors at Umontana, granted I would get accepted.
Politically Im pretty uninvolved. But I do believe in personal freedoms, rather that be towards guns, hunting, or religious standings. And were not complete recluses but we do tend to keep to ourselves on our downtime and Id really just like to find a peaceful place out in the sticks with likeminded inhabitants. No party animals or meth heads or golf courses. Just a quiet place to live a quiet life. I am a mild marijuana user but I dont mess with it near enough to draw attention. Nevertheless I would like a community that has a live-and-let-live attitude towards that. I dislike hipsters though. Its my only prejudice and do not want to live around them anymore. Just a preference.
Is there a fair amount of access to the national forest system during the winter? I know climate up there varies widely from location to location but a lot of other states like Colorado, minus Rocky Mountain NP, get shut down completely for the season and a lot of roads get closed off. We really like the outdoors and have spent quite alot of time backpacking in different states, even in the winter. I havent hunted in over 12 years but thats a tradition Id like to get into again. So areas with winter access would certainly be preferred.
From what Ive read on other sites and forums there appears to be a big "outsiders" attitude prevalent in Montana. Im from Texas so theres plenty of that to go around but I personally dont buy into the us versus them philosophy. Aside from the native americans everybody came from somewhere else and crashed the party. I can see there being a problem when you have a malcontent that just complains about how much better things are, their way, back where they came from. But were far from being one of those people. That being said Id like to find a small town thats accepting of those "outsiders" who arent looking to change a damn thing about their way of life. Were very respectful of different cultures and will certainly embrace that wherever we do land.
Any information will be greatly appreciated. Weve been in Austin for some time now but came from small towns and really miss those small town ways. When I finish my degree I plan to start my own small cabin building company, with off grid living in mind. I very much admire the people who can live that lifestyle and eventually thats where Id like to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2016, 05:51 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,078,696 times
Just an FYI, the Indians came here from somewhere else too.

Missoula would probably be perfect for you. Clinton or Frenchtown would probably meet your needs.

Old 05-27-2016, 10:23 PM

140 posts, read 91,524 times
Thanks for the suggestions!! The testicle festival looks quite enjoyable

Old 05-28-2016, 10:03 AM

7,978 posts, read 9,489,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robcat33 View Post
Im brand spanking new to city data but I thought it would be a great way to interact with locals. The girlfriend and a I are planning a trip to Montana this month for a brief visit. Ive done quite a lot of research on the state itself and wanted to inquire what life in this beautiful place would be like if I ever relocated. Im a 30 years old and shes 28. Were hard workers who just happened upon some inheritance, and we have just enough to use as an opportunity to make a new start somewhere else.
Im from Austin but grew up a military brat and lived in many different states, Alaska among others, so Im accustomed to extreme temperatures. And I love snow but winter access to residency is important too. Any areas around Missoula that would be good for someone who prefers to live as secluded as possible year round? Ive been eyeing the communities of Superior and St. Regis. I currently work at a coffeeshop in the AM and part time with UPS in the evenings and she works for the TXDeptofTransportation. Were not as career minded as a lot of other people and tend to go with the flow. But we want to keep to areas where we could commute to Missoula as we will need to find work elsewhere. I also plan on finishing my bachelors at Umontana, granted I would get accepted.
Politically Im pretty uninvolved. But I do believe in personal freedoms, rather that be towards guns, hunting, or religious standings. And were not complete recluses but we do tend to keep to ourselves on our downtime and Id really just like to find a peaceful place out in the sticks with likeminded inhabitants. No party animals or meth heads or golf courses. Just a quiet place to live a quiet life. I am a mild marijuana user but I dont mess with it near enough to draw attention. Nevertheless I would like a community that has a live-and-let-live attitude towards that. I dislike hipsters though. Its my only prejudice and do not want to live around them anymore. Just a preference.
Is there a fair amount of access to the national forest system during the winter? I know climate up there varies widely from location to location but a lot of other states like Colorado, minus Rocky Mountain NP, get shut down completely for the season and a lot of roads get closed off. We really like the outdoors and have spent quite alot of time backpacking in different states, even in the winter. I havent hunted in over 12 years but thats a tradition Id like to get into again. So areas with winter access would certainly be preferred.
From what Ive read on other sites and forums there appears to be a big "outsiders" attitude prevalent in Montana. Im from Texas so theres plenty of that to go around but I personally dont buy into the us versus them philosophy. Aside from the native americans everybody came from somewhere else and crashed the party. I can see there being a problem when you have a malcontent that just complains about how much better things are, their way, back where they came from. But were far from being one of those people. That being said Id like to find a small town thats accepting of those "outsiders" who arent looking to change a damn thing about their way of life. Were very respectful of different cultures and will certainly embrace that wherever we do land.
Any information will be greatly appreciated. Weve been in Austin for some time now but came from small towns and really miss those small town ways. When I finish my degree I plan to start my own small cabin building company, with off grid living in mind. I very much admire the people who can live that lifestyle and eventually thats where Id like to be.
Montana is expensive. Make sure that inheritance and college degree will pay off.malso know that good paying jobs are hard to come by and you're competing with a lot of students in Missoula.

Old 05-28-2016, 11:24 AM

5,893 posts, read 9,602,986 times
Welcome to the forum! I suggest planning a loop road trip starting in Missoula, and going up 93 to Highway 200 west all the way to Sandpoint, ID (that way you'll see more small towns, and it is just so beautiful!), then going south on 95 to Coeur d'Alene, and coming back to Missoula through Superior and St. Regis on 90, and then take a drive south on 93 up and down the Bitterroot Valley. That will give you an impression of what is so beguiling about NW MT! But at the same time you should pick up local papers and real estate flyers, and go talk to the Admissions office at the U.

Good luck, and have fun. You're only young once (or sometimes twice)

Old 05-28-2016, 04:42 PM

4,516 posts, read 4,469,898 times
Frenchtown has a golf course and presumably a lot of golf course oriented people. But there are non-golfers too. Alberton is small but might be more what you want though. Superior is a fairly long commute to Missoula by most people's tastes. Florence is worth a look. Less chosen areas include Evaro, west of Lolo and Potomac.

Most of the time you can get up in the mountains til at least mid-November. After that it depends on 4 wheel drive, high clearance, breaks between storms, which road you want to use. The main Forest Service roads are more likely than the side little ones. Switch to a snowmobile to get back into the deeper woods. It will be April-May before a lot of spots see normal vehicle travel again, except in real dry winters.

If you dislike hipsters, you might want to think a lot about whether Missoula has too much of that to work around, study with, or visit on the weekends. You might say it is tolerable, barely tolerable or too much. Your visit will help but you might not know for sure from a brief visit.

Last edited by NW Crow; 05-28-2016 at 05:05 PM..

Old 05-28-2016, 09:24 PM

Location: MA/ME (the way life should not be / the way it should be)
1,267 posts, read 1,026,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
Just an FYI, the Indians came here from somewhere else too.
Asia, and in the east coast, possibly Europe as well...

@op, whats your degree/planned degree?

Old 05-28-2016, 09:27 PM

Location: MA/ME (the way life should not be / the way it should be)
1,267 posts, read 1,026,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
Montana is expensive. Make sure that inheritance and college degree will pay off.malso know that good paying jobs are hard to come by and you're competing with a lot of students in Missoula.
people keep saying Montana is expensive. Is it just land/taxes, or is it everything gas/heat/food/oil also expensive? By the comments on these threads people make it sound like you need half a million dollars yearly income to afford a small house on 1/4 of an acre.

Old 05-28-2016, 11:06 PM

4,516 posts, read 4,469,898 times
The numbers I see say the average cost of living for the state is about 7% above national average. Less than the most expensive states but more than a lot of the heartland and south. Groceries and health care about 7% higher, housing 17% higher, much of the rest near normal. COL in MT is highest though in the spots most folks want to move into. Bozeman's housing costs are almost 50% above national average. More than COL, the issue is lower average wages & salaries in the state. Per capitia and per family income is about 10% less than national average. So on average folks make less and pay more. A double action sawing. But of course it will vary person to person based on their income situation and spending patterns.

Old 05-28-2016, 11:18 PM

7,978 posts, read 9,489,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKezarWoodsman View Post
people keep saying Montana is expensive. Is it just land/taxes, or is it everything gas/heat/food/oil also expensive? By the comments on these threads people make it sound like you need half a million dollars yearly income to afford a small house on 1/4 of an acre.
All of the above is expensive. You don't need half a million dollars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or