U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2016, 06:19 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,537,820 times

Advertisements

So as to not contradict my previous comment on this thread, I should add that Montana does seem to retain many of the transplants who come here. Just not the right ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2016, 06:56 PM

3,826 posts, read 4,005,940 times
Overview on MT economy by sector:
http://lmi.mt.gov/Portals/135/Public...t_Industry.pdf

Old 06-11-2016, 12:41 PM

7,677 posts, read 8,974,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montguy View Post
The answer to any question regarding the reasons why transplants leave Montana is found in this paragraph alone. I've said it a zillion times, and I'll repeat it yet again: Montana's reliance on these four unpredictable and increasingly unappealing industries, in addition to its horrendous wage situation and subsequent lack of work-life balance, is why Montana fails to retain many of those who move here. It has much to do with why those who are native to the area are leaving as well.

Most people who move to Montana really do like Montana, but when it's all said and done, never being able to get ahead is very tiresome. A lot of us know this, natives and transplants alike, and we know we can't continue living here because of it.

You forgot to mention tourism. That provides plenty of minimum wage job opportunities.

Old 06-11-2016, 12:42 PM

Quote:
So as to not contradict my previous comment on this thread, I should add that Montana does seem to retain many of the transplants who come here. Just not the right ones.
It seems to be the trustifarians who stay there. Ones where money is no issue since they don't really have to work.

Old 06-11-2016, 04:14 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,537,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post

You forgot to mention tourism. That provides plenty of minimum wage job opportunities.
I wonder what percentage of all the new job growth and low unemployment in this state is owed to the growth of box store service jobs. I'll have to do a little research, but I'm guessing a good chunk, especially now with the Bakken bust.

It's just pathetic how unadapatable this place is. I'm suddenly sitting here remembering something I had read in the Missoula Independent a couple years ago where the author suggested that the solution to Montana's abysmal wage and salary situation has nothing to do with making Montana a more appealing, welcoming and marketable place for profitable industries, but rather has everything to do with better unionization of service sector and healthcare employees.

It's admittedly a tad better than the indolent belief that agriculture and timber/coal exploitation are the answers to everything around here, however...but still pretty dumb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
It seems to be the trustifarians who stay there. Ones where money is no issue since they don't really have to work.
I'd rather have the trustafarian crowd infiltrating the place, as opposed to white-flight paranoiacs in search of a quiet place to retire and fill a few gun cabinets. Watching Montana become such a magnet for these types has been a sad, sad thing. At any rate, the trustafarians and young eco-romantics seem pretty transient.

Old 06-11-2016, 07:36 PM

Quote:
I wonder what percentage of all the new job growth and low unemployment in this state is owed to the growth of box store service jobs. I'll have to do a little research, but I'm guessing a good chunk, especially now with the Bakken bust.

It's just pathetic how unadapatable this place is. I'm suddenly sitting here remembering something I had read in the Missoula Independent a couple years ago where the author suggested that the solution to Montana's abysmal wage and salary situation has nothing to do with making Montana a more appealing, welcoming and marketable place for profitable industries, but rather has everything to do with better unionization of service sector and healthcare employees.

It's admittedly a tad better than the indolent belief that agriculture and timber/coal exploitation are the answers to everything around here, however...but still pretty dumb.

I'd rather have the trustafarian crowd infiltrating the place, as opposed to white-flight paranoiacs in search of a quiet place to retire and fill a few gun cabinets. Watching Montana become such a magnet for these types has been a sad, sad thing. At any rate, the trustafarians and young eco-romantics seem pretty transient.
It is amazing how the state doesn't want to adapt. A lot of that I think is the way long term residents are content to live there because "it's Montana." I saw that a lot it seemed. Not much desire to improve things.

I didn't know Montana was such a magnet for gun nuts from other states retiring. I didn't like the mix of trustifarians and Montana born people in western Montana. Two extremes that were unbearable.

I grew up in Montana and while it will always be my home state, I don't see myself ever living there again due to the problems mentioned.

Old 06-21-2016, 02:43 PM

3,826 posts, read 4,005,940 times
It is probably pretty hard to pull in high paying jobs into a state so far from the dense population centers. Some employers can sell the lifestyle to one breed of employees but many do not want to move way far from family & friends and into a state that is a mix of small cities, way smaller cities and vast rural areas. 80% of the country are urban folk and it is moving further that way. The added transportation costs for inputs and to move finished products probably make the state less desirable to business. With the internet and air freight maybe it is not as bad as it used to be but "trying" in terms of business laws and marketing hasn't been and may never will be enough for dramatic change in relative income. The most important kind of trying is probably with the education system. Wyoming tries a lot harder there. Works for the kids but many move out to places that have and kept adding jobs because it is easier than going to some distant outpost, no matter how good it is or could be. If Montana tried as hard at K-12 as Wyoming it would probably see more pay off, but it doesn't.

Unionization- if successful at both certification and negotiation- might help certain workers but that approach hasn't achieved that much in Montana history and it seems pretty unrealistic to expect it to achieve more in near future without some major change (in voting demographics, judges appointed to the highest courts, etc.). It might happen. Eventually. But it could get more pro big business.

Last edited by NW Crow; 06-21-2016 at 03:07 PM..

Old 06-22-2016, 10:26 AM

1,707 posts, read 1,238,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DemonicAngel View Post
Hi,

We are looking to move to a small town in western Montana with a strong, supportive community. We are looking for a town with low crime, Conservative, Pro Second Amendment, and with very little government intrusion. We are looking for trees and mountains as opposed to flat prairie. We currently live in Eastern Washington and are looking for more mild summers and are fond of snowy winters. Employment is not an issue. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thank You
Exactly same thing I am looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana