U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2016, 10:23 AM

43 posts, read 38,928 times

Advertisements

Okay, thanks for the very helpful history lesson and for jogging my memory on PLWA. I'm a little embarrassed that I did not keep up with all of the legal battles. I worked on a project that Bill Fairhurst of Three Forks was involved with back in the day. He was active in PLWA work, but I was there primarily because Bill was locking horns with that guy who owns the Flying D Ranch regarding killing a bunch of rainbow trout in Cherry Creek and Cherry Lake in order to stock it with cutthroats. Although that was not a PLWA issue being challenged in that situation, it was Fairhurst's involvement with PLWA that I now remember. I made a trip to the area in 2001 to interview Bill Fairhurst and Beau Turner just a few months before 911 happened. That event changed the world in so many different ways and it resulted in "killing" the story that was being developed due to lack of national interest in just about anything other than 911.

Anyway, thanks a bunch for clarifying the river access at bridge crossings and that it is OK to leave a vehicle parked on the shoulder near the bridge. It also seems feasible to float a 3-4 mile section and then use a bike to get back to the vehicle. Now, I only wonder if it is OK to also secure a bicycle to a guardrail with a chain and lock?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2016, 08:14 PM

387 posts, read 357,504 times
I think the bike would be fine. Another option is to chain it to a tree out of sight but near the access. People are pretty chill here.

Old 07-11-2016, 08:52 AM

Mandatory Drought Closure - no fishing allowed from 2 PM to Midnight on the East Gallatin since water temps exceeded 73 degrees for 3 consecutive days. Closure began July 8th for all of the river downstream of Riverside Country Club on Spring Hill Rd to the confluence with the main stem of the Gallatin.

I wonder if overnights temps around August 12th (that average below 50 degrees) will help to lower the water temperature? Regardless whether the restrictions are lifted or not, the best thing will be to get a very early morning start on floating the affected section. Is it common to have the restrictions expanded to 24 hours and close all fishing on the lower river?

Old 07-11-2016, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nidster View Post
Mandatory Drought Closure - no fishing allowed from 2 PM to Midnight on the East Gallatin since water temps exceeded 73 degrees for 3 consecutive days. Closure began July 8th for all of the river downstream of Riverside Country Club on Spring Hill Rd to the confluence with the main stem of the Gallatin.

I wonder if overnights temps around August 12th (that average below 50 degrees) will help to lower the water temperature? Regardless whether the restrictions are lifted or not, the best thing will be to get a very early morning start on floating the affected section. Is it common to have the restrictions expanded to 24 hours and close all fishing on the lower river?
Just a general question - why is it that specifically you are interested in the East Gallatin? There are a lot better places to fish within 30-60 minutes of town.

Old 07-11-2016, 10:01 PM

Back in '96 we had some friends living and working in Bozeman. They kept telling us how wonderful it was in Montana. It was their last year there so we packed up the kids and headed for Bozeman. They had some rooms for us at Mount Ellis Academy and everything was just as they said, wonderful. Naturally, being an avid trout angler here in the Smokies, and hearing all the fish tales of how great it was in Montana I took all my gear on the trip. I only got a little fishing time to myself and the upper reaches of the East Gallatin was a quick trip for me. Plus, there is some public land and easy access. Over the years my fishing partner started making the trips with me, but we never fished downstream on the East Gallatin. We went to places like Sixteen Mile on the CA Ranch. 2003 was my last fishing & working trip except for last year, which is another story. It so happened in 2003, it was August, I got to bunk overnight at Twin Rivers in one of those nice little cabins near the river. The next morning one of the guides, Austin, was taking one of the ladies in the group up the East Gallatin for a little fly fishing. So, being one of the videographers for the group I got to tag along to shoot the action scenes. Well, Austin eventually led her to this non-descript place where there was a decent glide, almost a small waterfall that emptied into a nice long, narrow run. I think we were on public land at that point. Joy Hoy was the lady's name and she was a neophyte angler for sure. Austin was doing a decent job of making her look better than she would otherwise be, and he had her fishing some sort of weighted nymph. He positioned her near the head of the run and all she needed to do was sort of flip the nymph up into the water near the head of the glide, only about 20 feet. Well she hooked a nice fat 15" bow on the first cast, and what got my attention is that she made 13 more casts and hooked 13 more bows that were carbon copies of the first one. So, to make a longer story short, after Joy fished upstream another couple hours she was exhausted. Austin handed me her rod and said, "Hey man, see if you can reach that run on the other side of the river." I made a false cast and then sent the nymph about 45 feet into the run and promptly hooked a nice 17" bow. So, maybe this is as good as any year to return and fish the East Gallatin.

Old 07-13-2016, 10:53 AM

Hope it turns out to be a nice time.

Old 07-14-2016, 11:43 AM

Thanks! I'm not going to attempt a long tortuous trip in a canoe just to reach the place where we were back in 2003, especially alone and when there are fishing restrictions in place. I'll fish the upper parts that are not under restrictions. I'm open to suggestions of other places to go close in to Bozeman.

Old 07-20-2016, 10:40 PM

3,795 posts, read 3,987,784 times
Don't ignore any no parking signs. There was some river site where they towed dozens of vehicles parked in a no parking posted area a couple weeks ago, leaving people mad and saying you never towed before, I thought it was ok because everyone else was doing it, etc.

I might call the state patrol or local police before chaining a bike to a guard rail. A call or two is a lot quicker / cheaper than a surprise. Theft is probably a bigger concern. Folks vary but I give the worst outcome a decent to high probability and do everything possible to avoid. One time I let someone talk me out of that parking somewhere and then I got the surprise of course.

Last edited by NW Crow; 07-20-2016 at 10:48 PM..

Old 07-23-2016, 02:53 PM

All good advice, Crow, and thank you for posting. I will not ignore any no parking signs, and chaining my bike to a tree as Senah suggested, or something sturdy, but not a guardrail, will be what I'm looking for. I know overnight camping at FAS is not allowed, but I did not see what the parking restrictions will be for FAS after sundown? I'm thinking specifically about Cherry River FAS. I am asking because I do plan to fish fairly late into the evening, and before I can get back to my vehicle it could be well past sundown.

Old 07-26-2016, 04:10 PM

You can overnight at a lot of fishing access sites. Usually there is a 7 day limit (14 at some of them, and pay at a few of them - usually 7 dollars).

I know cherry specifically isn't a camping one (unless something has changed). We usually fish sunset and have never had a problem with our vehicle being there. I think you would have to have a tent set up or be sleeping in it to have an issue. Many people fish the evening hatch and have their vehicles at fishing access sites at dark here. It is pretty common.

You can see which sites allow camping and have toilets etc. at the Fish and Game website.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or