U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2016, 09:22 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,293 posts, read 3,327,207 times

Advertisements

Have you ever spent any time in Butte?
Are you planning on renting for several months first, before considering a home purchase?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2016, 07:54 PM

4,641 posts, read 3,967,018 times
If I was picking Montana towns to not live in, Butte would top the list, followed by Great Falls.

It is a Super Fund site.

Butte is hilly and tends to be icy all winter. I'd put studded tires on the car for in town.

Old 06-26-2016, 07:20 AM

160 posts, read 234,108 times
I agree about Butte. It has some charm but I don’t think I’d want to live there. If for no other reason than that toxic teabag (Berkeley Pit) in the middle of town.

Old 06-26-2016, 08:50 AM

4 posts, read 2,319 times
It really depends on what job I get! I had aa hopeful opportunity in Deer Lodge do we were considering Butte. We're also thinking about Livingston, because I absolutely love it there! But like I said, it all depends on where I can get a job.

Old 06-26-2016, 10:09 PM

387 posts, read 357,657 times
Good luck - there are a lot of good things to be found in most towns.

For my job I spend a lot of time driving all over the state, and I have a cross-over Mazda and put all-season tires on it, and it does great. I am fine driving through a lot of snow to ski, ice and wind on the hi-line, and wet/dry pavement. I don't feel like I need studs, but I am conscious of getting my tires evaluated and rotated frequently. For a larger vehicle like a truck, as others have said, it often makes sense to have studded tires for traction, especially if the back is empty.

I am very careful in the winter to buy windshield wiper fluid that goes down to -20 and still works. Driving behind people here you get a lot of dirt and mud on your windshield, and if you can't get it off or the wiper fluid freezes instantly on your windshield, it can be really dangerous.

I second the emergency survival bag to have in the car. I have a winter one and a summer one. I switch them out depending on what I need. The other thing is really know how to use the tools you carry around. We had someone who carried a tow rope to get pulled out, and if they had used it how they were going to before we stopped them, someone may have gotten killed, or lost a windshield.

Old 07-17-2016, 11:35 AM

7,540 posts, read 12,571,634 times
Butte has hills and more than its share of ice. The interstate north out of town is often icy. East not so much. All sorts of good advice upthread... you'll be fine.

I especially like the "driving on eggs" analogy... prevents Adventure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana