Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2016, 06:58 AM

6,756 posts, read 8,573,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senah View Post
It does happen, but to be fair everyone is much more likely to die in an auto accident coming or going from the National Forest or Park. It's all about risk, fear, and perception.
That's true, there are a lot more cars out there than bears. And cars usually won't go looking for you to run you down, but a predator may stalk you as a food source.
That said, some activities in the woods can make the situation worse. Running or bicycling can trigger a predatory response in some predators. They see something moving fast toward them or away from them, and bam.

Bear attacks are like shark attacks. Don't happen often, but when they do it reminds people that there are things still out there that will eat you. It effects the psyche and guess what? You really are still part of the food chain Gomer.

With all the major predators we have here, both Grizzly and Black Bear, Canadian Grey wolves, Mountain Lions, etc. it's a wonder more people aren't hurt or killed each year.
Then add the big herbivores like buffalo, and moose, throw in the fact they are trying to raise their young right now, and it's amazing that with the amount of people we have going into the wild that we don't have stories every week about someone getting hurt or killed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2016, 08:40 AM

387 posts, read 554,447 times
To be honest, I think the biggest risk is during early season (archery) elk hunting. Often only 1 person, maybe two, quiet, and then covered in blood. We are always very careful scouting our kill when returning just because of this reason.

Old 07-01-2016, 09:14 AM

Quote:
To be honest, I think the biggest risk is during early season (archery) elk hunting. Often only 1 person, maybe two, quiet, and then covered in blood. We are always very careful scouting our kill when returning just because of this reason.
I really agree with that!
You're walking into the wind, moving quietly, and during a time when the bears are most active. It's a recipe for disaster.

Nothing more unnerving than hunting in the backcountry with a skiff of snow on the ground, coming back over the trail you walked in on, and seeing wolf or grizzly tracks over your own.

My hunting partner and I always hunt together on my land near Livingston because of that. The predators are thick in there, and they know a shot means food so they will come look for it.
One of us always has to stand guard while the other processes the game.

A friend of my father's was riding with him not long ago when a griz startled his horse and dumped him, hurting his hip so bad he couldn't walk or ride out.
My father called for an extraction from search and rescue, but had to ride to the bottom of the hill to guide them in.
The friend was armed, but that bear circled him the entire time my father was gone.

It ain't Disneyland out there.

Old 07-02-2016, 09:33 PM

387 posts, read 554,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
My hunting partner and I always hunt together on my land near Livingston because of that. The predators are thick in there, and they know a shot means food so they will come look for it.
That's really a good idea.

Old 07-03-2016, 09:08 AM

9,885 posts, read 10,967,002 times
According to an article in The Gazette this morning, further investigation seems to indicate that Treat was riding his mountain bike down a narrow trail at a relatively high rate of speed, and HIT the bear!

Old 07-03-2016, 09:11 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,336,832 times
Quote:
A buddy of mine who hunts elk in western New Mexico (no grizzlies, but plenty of cougars, wolves, and black bear) told me one of the most important things to bring bow hunting is a gun. To protect yourself when field dressing and extracting your kill.

Old 07-05-2016, 10:08 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,925,188 times
Quote:
This can definitely be risky. A little off topic, but have you read about the last grizzly that was killed in the San Juan Mountains in Colorado? Same circumstances with an archery hunter. He killed her in self defense with an arrow. It's quite the story.

Old 07-06-2016, 09:19 AM

Outdoor survival tips for Bear Country | Montana | helenair.com

Looks like it's going to be an active year for bears. According to this article, there have been 4 attacks already.
Alaska has the coastal browns which are bigger than our silvertips, and they have more of them, but they're still grizzlies and have many of the same manners.

I didn't see where the guy that was mauled here had run into the bear with his bicycle, but if he did that would not only be the reason he was attacked, but also goes back to my original premise to be aware and pay attention in the wild.

Blasting down a forest trail on a bicycle going fast with no real noise to alert the bear of your presence is a recipe for disaster.

Bears aren't inherently bad, but they are top predators with no real competition aside from humans, so except in areas where they're hunted, they have no reason to fear humans.
Using a little sense when you recreate in the wilds would reduce the number of incidents significantly, but as has been proven with people in Yellowstone Park with buffalo, sense is something not a lot of folks have around wild animals.

Old 07-06-2016, 01:59 PM

242 posts, read 276,239 times
The wilderness is the wilderness, sometimes you gotta be ready or its combat time...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana