U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 11:58 AM

1,219 posts, read 2,812,080 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerider View Post
Yup, that's it. To me, it ain't the Californians, or the Vermonters, or (take your pick), it's the attitude that somehow we have it wrong here and are in need of reformation. That we're a little backward and need to be straightened out. That somehow we're just not bright enough to understand the big picture and they're here to get us re-educated and on the proper track.
Exactly!! And this "me me me" attitude that comes along with the same type of people, they are all about telling someone else how they should be doing things, but when the poop hits, they are the last ones to look for a shovel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2008, 01:02 PM

1,645 posts, read 4,008,739 times
Most people in Montana are very welcoming of outsiders. But, there are a few insecure people that you may encounter who are not.

Old 02-25-2008, 05:26 PM

16,248 posts, read 21,283,908 times
People in Montana live there for a reason and that is that they want a certain way of life that doesn't include rampant crime, traffic jams, litter, pollution and other things city "transplants" bring with them when they move somewhere.

Old 02-25-2008, 05:27 PM

16,248 posts, read 21,283,908 times
Why is it that Californians seem to want to live everywhere...but California?

Old 02-25-2008, 08:35 PM

4 posts, read 10,455 times
I've never cared what people think, say, or do, because it truly doesn't matter. With that said, would I (a 25 year old with a dog and a diesel truck) get grief if I decided to move out there? I did spend the first 3 years of my life in Whitefish, so it's pretty much a homecoming anyways.

Old 02-26-2008, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangman1989 View Post
I've never cared what people think, say, or do, because it truly doesn't matter. With that said, would I (a 25 year old with a dog and a diesel truck) get grief if I decided to move out there? I did spend the first 3 years of my life in Whitefish, so it's pretty much a homecoming anyways.
If you don't care what people think, say or do you shouldn't be worried about getting grief for moving somewhere.

My advice would be to visit before taking the plunge and moving anywhere..

Old 02-26-2008, 10:21 AM

27 posts, read 124,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Why is it that Californians seem to want to live everywhere...but California?
Let me give you some reasons why some not all Californians want out. I have lived here all my life. And as I get older I get sick of the rude people and everyone in a hurry all the time. I'm sick of the hussle and bussle. People do judge you on what you wear and drive and how big your house is. For me and my family we can not afford to but a house here and we don't drive new suvs and trucks. Let me give you an example of the wages and the cost of houses were we live. The average person in our city makes about 32,436 dollars a year. The average house cost is 331,200. So you tell me why one might want out. We do not live in southren california we live in the northren part. the problem is that people in southren california sell there houses and move to the northren part. To buy big houses know one can afford and still work in the bay area to make good wages.
We are blue collard workers so we do not make white collar wage. We live a very simple life with our two children. We enjoy the out doors camping and fishing. We are just sick of all the taxes and the people that we have to deal with on a daily bases. I do not care what people think of me I wear what I want to wear. I'm not into fashion and looking good all the time. I just want to go were we can raise our children and not be looked down upon or asked if we own our home or not. I would like to buy a home one day. But It will not be here in california. We are considered middle class if you want to call it that. There really is no middle class here in califorina. People are just seeing that they will never be able to afford to buy a house here or get ahead in life it just is getting harder and harder for a young family to make ends meet.
So with that all being said I hope that it gives you a better idea of why people want to leave california. Do you blame us? We are not all out to make changes else where and buy a large amount of land to devlope. We are just looking for a better way of life and to raise our kids with morals and respect for people.

Old 02-26-2008, 10:56 AM

27 posts, read 124,179 times
We are not all city transplants. We have never been convicted of a crime and are good harding working honest people. We do not litter our streets or our land. So I don't get off where you are saying all these bad things about others. When they move other places. Maybe you are just one of the blessed ones that have got to experince a life style that some of us dream of. I don't care where you go growth and change is always going to happen weather we like it or not.

Old 02-26-2008, 12:25 PM

529 posts, read 1,729,415 times
Okay

Montana is a state, just like any other. You are going to have your "natives" any where you go.

We're a pretty independent bunch, this is true. And yes, there are those here, unfortunately, that might vandalize your stuff or bug your kids. It's going to be like this anywhere you go. I've had my own good share of certain vandalism in Washington, just because of my Montana license plates.
Does this mean that Washington, or folks from Washington are bad? Of course it doesn't. It just means that there are ignorant people no matter where you go, that's all.

In the United States, there will always be outsiders or dark horses.

Now I'm native (oooh dirty word)... but I'm not at all above the acceptance of those who would care to move here. Is there some sentiment? Of Course there is. But that shouldn't discourage any of you.

Charlie Russell wasn't born in Montana, and yet we have his museum and an entire tourist region named after him (Russell Country)... Charley came from Missouri.

Is Montana a low income state? Yes. We are 4th from the bottom in wages across the nation. Does it bother you that this is so? If it does, then Montana might not be the fit for you that you want it to be.

It all depends on what it is you want. And, there will always be a trade off, one thing for another, no matter where you go.
If you think that even in spite of the low wages that you can make it here, then by-golly-bucko, bring it on. As we truly do enjoy the good company of those who are willing to stay the course.

Will you ever be accepted? Sure you will. Like any other place in the United States, there will always be a time to prove yourself.

If I were to move to Washington tomorrow, for instance, there will always be someone who will say, "Let's see what this wildeyed Montana boy is made of".

As far as being proud of our home, our state? Yup... we are. Just like those who would live in California are proud of theirs.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with being proud of your home or your home state. If you're tired of living where you are? Then move to somplace that you can truly be proud of and be glad to call your home. It could be anywhere, even in Montana, if you choose.

In the end, regardless of your decision, you'll be fine. Your kids will be fine.

The choice is yours to make.

Old 02-29-2008, 01:56 PM

The point of starting this thread was not so much to scare people off, but to show the big picture of what happens to places when developers, real estate traders and trust fund brats see "gold mines". Right or not, it's easier for me to blame the outside money than the local farmer who sold his land.

Maybe there's a bit of jealousy in me too.. I've worked hard at everything I've taken on in life and would like to build a decent home on a nice piece of property for my family also. I get irritated when people move right in and grab up all the property I've been trying to save for and I get tired of watching the prices get farther and farther out of reach. It's for that jealous reason that I get irritated and b*t#& about it. It REALLY pisses me off when the people with the money have never worked a day in their lives. If feeling like that makes me a bad guy, then I guess I'm a bad guy.

Last edited by Timberwolf232; 02-29-2008 at 02:07 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana