U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2016, 07:28 PM

1,168 posts, read 769,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by REE312 View Post
I'm a christian conservative. Lets see... Never voted democrat in my life, loath Obama and RINO's in office, which are 80% of them, self sufficiant, have lived off grid with no running water, NRA member, homeschooling, hunting fishing conservative...

Liberals are fine, I grew up in a hippy liberal town but prefer to live among people I have things in common with.

I'm just looking for information, not to get grilled, thank you.
The Vast Majority of the people who live in the Wyoming, Montana, Idaho area who call themselves conservatives are really conservative. Everything centers around the church, You do what they say or you are out. You vote for who they want or you are out. It is generally difficult to even be accepted by them at all. They have their little clicks and that is that.

They are not the Political Conservatives that many people believe they are. They say they dont want big government yet build their loacl governments with family members and friends and scream and yell when tax revenues drop because they dont want to have to fire their brother in law.
Dont get me wrong. There are many good Political Conservatives around but they tend to end up all by themselves scattered around.

If liberals are fine with you, you are not fine with the conservatives.

Im just saying this because Ive seen many people come and go over the years and leaving disillusioned. They come and invest their retirement money in their dream house and after one or 2 years decide to leave and cannot sell their homes for even 50% of what they invested in it.
Or they come and buy some building and open their dream business which at first may do well but if successful some well connected local will open a identical business and all the customers will go there.

If you want to come, come and rent. See how you fit in. Open your bakery on the cheap and see what happens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2016, 07:51 PM

47 posts, read 35,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
Good schools.

Now that you mention it, I don't know of any, but I haven't looked, either. I can't remember when I last saw really good raised donuts, where the base was real bread, not that quick-rise crap.

Fleas below about 3500 feet altitude where it's not too dry, but not in huge numbers. Rattlers in the dry/rocky areas, not so much elsewhere.

Highly variable. You might have water coming up in your yard under its own power or you might drill a 1000 foot dry hole -- get local advice on any property you're considering. Mountain water and wells from river seep are mostly pretty good, plains water somewhat to very alkali. Iron occasionally. If it's bad you either haul drinking water from town or get a reverse-osmosis system. (Apparently the water here is bad but the filter system turns it good.)

Septics mostly not a problem but in bottomlands or some mountain areas you may have to do special construction -- again get local advice.

Reciprocal friendly, generally speaking. You say hi, they'll say hi.

Better than Alaska! Probably 90-100 days you can count on in the growing season, with another month before and after when it may or may not freeze. My grandmother always had a garden and I was the slave, er, I mean in charge of maintenance. Beans, peas, zucchini, cucumbers, onions, carrots, potatoes, and radishes all did well. Leaf lettuce did well, head lettuce was a bust. Corn was hit-or-miss. Peas and potatoes are grown commercially in MT. At the time there were no reliable short-season melons but now you can get varieties that mature inside of 90 days. Zucchini... know why MT folks lock their cars during August? So they don't return to find a bag of zucchini on the front seat.

There's a guy at the northern corner of NV/UT who is developing strains of veggies that are more hardy to frost and produce better for a short season and poor conditions; he sells seeds for varieties that may do better here as well.

Apples, cherries (commercial growers near Kalispell), and I know of an apricot that was a good producer. Wild plums and chokecherries are like weeds. You can get hardy peaches that would probably do well. Raspberries, gooseberries, various native berries. Hops grow wild, dunno how good they are for beer. There also exist hardy wine grapes tho I don't know if anyone is growing more than the odd plant or two.

More so than California, dunno compared to, say, Georgia.

Awesome info!

Good to know on the bakery! I have seen a few but typical bakery stuff. I am not really competeing with them with my recipes and yes I will have good raised donuts. 😀 I'd like to use local ingrediants as much as possible and grow a large garden at some point.

Looking forward to it. It's been in the works for about five years. Unless something happens I shpuld be heading down between August and December. I really want to get out of here before it hits 40 below. Been in this areaof AK since 2007 and pretty much done with it! It's been fun while it lasted but time to depart!

Old 07-10-2016, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe33 View Post
The Vast Majority of the people who live in the Wyoming, Montana, Idaho area who call themselves conservatives are really conservative. Everything centers around the church, You do what they say or you are out. You vote for who they want or you are out. It is generally difficult to even be accepted by them at all. They have their little clicks and that is that.

They are not the Political Conservatives that many people believe they are. They say they dont want big government yet build their loacl governments with family members and friends and scream and yell when tax revenues drop because they dont want to have to fire their brother in law.
Dont get me wrong. There are many good Political Conservatives around but they tend to end up all by themselves scattered around.

Im just saying this because Ive seen many people come and go over the years and leaving disillusioned. They come and invest their retirement money in their dream house and after one or 2 years decide to leave and cannot sell their homes for even 50% of what they invested in it.
Or they come and buy some building and open their dream business which at first may do well but if successful some well connected local will open a identical business and all the customers will go there.

If you want to come, come and rent. See how you fit in. Open your bakery on the cheap and see what happens.
I sent you a DM

Old 07-10-2016, 08:56 PM

4,643 posts, read 3,968,925 times
Are you set on Kalispell? I spend a total of only 6 weeks a year in Kalispell for work. It has seemed to me that the majority of residents are underemployed. I think it would be difficult to have a good business because the economy seems sluggish. I would consider Missoula, Helena, Bozeman, or Billings before Kalispell.

If I was going to do a specialty bakery in the Kalispell area, I'd look instead at Bigfork or Whitefish for the summer and also get some contracts with dude ranches (summer& hunting) & Grouse Mtn (for summer) & Big Mountain Ski Lodge for the winter.

There could be a decent gourmet style box lunch business--order online with credit card, deliver each morning to their hotel rooms for tourists traveling to Glacier Park all summer. There are some rudimentary ones offered which customers have to pick up.

Last edited by historyfan; 07-10-2016 at 08:57 PM.. Reason: edit

Old 07-10-2016, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by historyfan View Post
Are you set on Kalispell? I spend a total of only 6 weeks a year in Kalispell for work. It has seemed to me that the majority of residents are underemployed. I think it would be difficult to have a good business because the economy seems sluggish. I would consider Missoula, Helena, Bozeman, or Billings before Kalispell.

If I was going to do a specialty bakery in the Kalispell area, I'd look instead at Bigfork or Whitefish for the summer and also get some contracts with dude ranches (summer& hunting) & Grouse Mtn (for summer) & Big Mountain Ski Lodge for the winter.

There could be a decent gourmet style box lunch business--order online with credit card, deliver each morning to their hotel rooms for tourists traveling to Glacier Park all summer. There are some rudimentary ones offered which customers have to pick up.
I looked at Missoula... I don't think its my sort of place. They need a donut shop, too. Its not totally off the list though.

I am not set on any place but the farther NW the better.

I have heard the economy isn't great by some and that its growing by others. Good to take the bad with the good for an educated decision for sure. ��

Old 07-10-2016, 09:35 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,536,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe33 View Post

Good post, Joe.

I do disagree on one thing, though...

I've lived in six Montana communities, large and small, and have not encountered one where the church(es) functioned as a social and political epicenter for even a loud minority of residents. I'm not saying that situation doesn't exist here (Ravalli County, anyone?), but pervasive, domineering religiosity has never been an issue for me, nor have I ever noticed church politics permeating local government.

On the other hand, I can actually see that changing as MT's politics and demographics continue to change.

A final note: Montana conservatism, whether it bears a religious stripe or not, is simply vile--I would strongly caution libertarian-oriented conservatives (especially someone looking to start a business) against relocating here on the presumption that Montana is a libertarian-conservative state. It absolutely isn't.

But really, all conservatives looking to move to MT should very seriously consider Idaho first.

Old 07-10-2016, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montguy View Post
Good post, Joe.

I do disagree on one thing, though...

I've lived in six Montana communities, large and small, and have not encountered one where the church(es) functioned as a social and political epicenter for even a loud minority of residents. I'm not saying that situation doesn't exist here (Ravalli County, anyone?), but pervasive, domineering religiosity has never been an issue for me, nor have I ever noticed church politics permeating local government.

On the other hand, I can actually see that changing as MT's politics and demographics continue to change.

A final note: Montana conservatism, whether it bears a religious stripe or not, is simply vile--I would strongly caution libertarian-oriented conservatives (especially someone looking to start a business) against relocating here on the presumption that Montana is a libertarian-conservative state. It absolutely isn't.

But really, all conservatives looking to move to MT should very seriously consider Idaho first.

I'm not a libertarian nor concerned in anyway of a church telling me what to do. Lol

Old 07-10-2016, 10:19 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,536,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by REE312 View Post
I'm not a libertarian nor concerned in anyway of a church telling me what to do. Lol
Conservatives are tolerable so long as they embrace the Goldwater tradition.

Otherwise, they really should move to Idaho.

Old 07-10-2016, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montguy View Post
Conservatives are tolerable so long as they embrace the Goldwater tradition.

Otherwise, they really should move to Idaho.
Well I'm not a big government person in any way and I'm not worried whether or not you personally tolerate me.

I am a former libertarian. As I've aged I disagree with the social liberalism of libertarianism. So yeah I am on board with Goldwater except social liberalism. I don't care what people do just don't make it a law that I have to partake. Live and let live.

Look, I just came to get info, not get grilled or politicized.

Last edited by REE312; 07-10-2016 at 11:06 PM..

Old 07-10-2016, 10:39 PM

Still trying to figure out how Montana got itself a democrat government if its so amazingly conservative.

Hmmm....

This is why I asked what areas are conservative.

Last edited by REE312; 07-10-2016 at 10:50 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana