U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2016, 01:00 AM

47 posts, read 30,063 times

Advertisements

I'm tired of extreme arctic cold and high prices thst keep climbing the last several years so am looking at Montana. I was born and raised here but traveled a lot including to MT 20 years ago.

What areas are good for a conservative? I have been looking at Flathead And Lincoln Counties.

I will be opening a business so will bring jobs.

So many things I want to know!

What are quirks of living there?
Any cool festivals or events?
Local hangouts?
Can you find live music regularly? Club scene took over here. It sucks.
How is it for high schoolers? I've got a teen.
Any good bakeries or donuts shops?
Fleas? Rattlers?
Are there water problems for wells? Iron, arsenic, other things?
People in AK are sort of to themselves and not super friendly. How about MT?
Drugs? Whats going on there? Do you run into it in the backcountry? I'm eventually going to move to someplace isolated.
How is the economy?
Growing vegies difficult?
Fruit trees?
Does local business thrive over national chains?

Any other information you have, I'd appreciate it!

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2016, 09:01 AM

1,168 posts, read 676,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by REE312 View Post
I'm tired of extreme arctic cold and high prices thst keep climbing the last several years so am looking at Montana. I was born and raised here but traveled a lot including to MT 20 years ago.

What areas are good for a conservative? I have been looking at Flathead And Lincoln Counties.

I will be opening a business so will bring jobs.

So many things I want to know!

What are quirks of living there?
Any cool festivals or events?
Local hangouts?
Can you find live music regularly? Club scene took over here. It sucks.
How is it for high schoolers? I've got a teen.
Any good bakeries or donuts shops?
Fleas? Rattlers?
Are there water problems for wells? Iron, arsenic, other things?
People in AK are sort of to themselves and not super friendly. How about MT?
Drugs? Whats going on there? Do you run into it in the backcountry? I'm eventually going to move to someplace isolated.
How is the economy?
Growing vegies difficult?
Fruit trees?
Does local business thrive over national chains?

Any other information you have, I'd appreciate it!

Thank you!

What do you mean by conservative? Your description dosent sound very conservative.

Old 07-10-2016, 11:39 AM

2,772 posts, read 3,462,156 times
Any place in state should work for a conservative except maybe Missoula and possibly Bozeman.

There is a good amount and variety of summer festivals. Check state and local visitor guide sites and newspapers to find what interests you. The biggest cities (Billings and Missoula) get some national entertainers occasionally but in general the weekend music will be local options.

Economy is not bad in general (compared to worse times in past and maybe future) though far eastern MT is retrenching some from low energy product prices. If you depend on local buyers, most of Montana has a lower to much lower income level than national average and way lower than a lot of Alaska. Kalispell and Whitefish have an upscale to rich element but most aren't.

Veggies? Depends on local soil quality, rainfall, irrigation, greenhouse start up, etc. Flathead and Ravalli counties are pretty good for growing. Some others could be too but a lot of the state land is best used for grazing, hay and grain production. Parts of Flathead are strong / famous for fruit growing.

Wait n see what replies you get but browsing the hundreds / thousands of threads in this forum can get you lots more info if you are willing to dig thru it. If you know what size community you want, you can start to narrow down the choices and maybe get more specific feedback. Lincoln county is much different than Flathead (or at least its central core) in terms of income, services, real estate prices, workforce, etc. Do you want to be in the heart of a metro of 90,000 people, ten miles out, 30, 50 or more? A lot of Lincoln is 100 plus miles from Kalispell. In Lincoln I think Eureka is worth a look if you like small towns. Some services and activities, a little over an hour to Kalispell. But if you want or eventually want remote or super remote you can find that there. Do you want access to the city more often than the occasional weekend? Find the right place for you. Going too remote can sometimes be a problem if you decide to sell land. Fewer buyers want real remote or want to pay above bottom dollar for it.

Some drug smuggling across the border and the local usage like almost everywhere. Can find trouble. It is more about the person than the place but yeah some spots may be worse than others.

Last edited by NW Crow; 07-10-2016 at 12:33 PM..

Old 07-10-2016, 11:47 AM

I'm a christian conservative. Lets see... Never voted democrat in my life, loath Obama and RINO's in office, which are 80% of them, self sufficiant, have lived off grid with no running water, NRA member, homeschooling, hunting fishing conservative...

Liberals are fine, I grew up in a hippy liberal town but prefer to live among people I have things in common with.

I'm just looking for information, not to get grilled, thank you.

Last edited by REE312; 07-10-2016 at 12:03 PM..

Old 07-10-2016, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
Any place in state should work for a conservative except maybe Missoula and possibly Bozeman.

There is a good amount and variety of summer festivals. Check state and local visitor guide sites and newspapers to find what interests you. The biggest cities (Billings and Missoula) get some national entertainers occasionally but in general the weekend music will be local options.

Cool, thank you!

I saw one event where tons of people were floating down a river in tubs... My daughter is nervous but excuted about moving and we saw a picture of this and have been wondering if it was some sort of riverrun or just people doing it on their own. It looked like hundreds of people.

Anyone know anything about that?

Thank you!

Last edited by REE312; 07-10-2016 at 11:59 AM..

Old 07-10-2016, 12:03 PM

4,642 posts, read 5,430,773 times
Sounds like the annual 3 day boat float on the Yellowstone river between Livingston and Columbus. Lots of people float the rivers, not usually in large flotillas, but when its hot out, floating is a fun way to cool off.

Old 07-10-2016, 12:08 PM

2,579 posts, read 1,736,673 times
It would be ok with me if all of the self-righteous, holier than thou conservative Christian right wing Republican types would move to Alaska and stay there. It would be perfect place for them. Out of sight, out of mind. A win-win for everybody.

Old 07-10-2016, 12:12 PM

Awesome! I look for info on that!

Are there any donut shops in Kalispell or Flathead County that are iconic or well known to locals?

I am a businiess person and baker and wanted to open a donut shop.

Old 07-10-2016, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post

Economy is not bad in general (compared to worse times in past and maybe future) though far eastern MT is retrenching some from low energy product prices.

Veggies? Depends on local soil quality, rainfall, irrigation, greenhouse start up, etc. Flathead and Ravalli counties are pretty good for growing. Some others could be too but a lot of the state land is best used for grazing, hay and grain production. Parts of Flathead are strong / famous for fruit growing.

Wait n see what replies you get but browsing the hundreds / thousands of threads in this forum can get you lots more info if you are willing to dig thru it. If you know what size community you want, you can start to narrow down the choices and maybe get more specific feedback. Libcoln county is much different than Flathead (or at least its central core) in terms of income, services, real estate prices, workforce, etc. Do you want to be in the heart of a metro of 90,000 people, ten miles out, 30, 50 or more? A lot of Lincoln is 100 plus miles from Kalispell. In Lincoln I think Eureka is worth a look. Some services and activities, a little over an hour to Kalispell. But if you want or eventually want remote or super remote you can find that there.

Some drug smuggling across the border and the usual local usage like almost everywhere. Can find trouble. It is more about the person thsn the place.
Thank you so much. Great info!

Old 07-10-2016, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
It would be ok with me if all of the self-righteous, holier than thou conservative Christian right wing Republican types would move to Alaska and stay there. It would be perfect place for them. Out of sight, out of mind. A win-win for everybody.
If liberals policies stopped jacking our state around with floods of refugees, high taxes and generally making this state a miserable bolchevik type place, I might stay in Alaska. 😉

Again, not looking to get grilled or get political, just want information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana