U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2016, 04:45 PM

38 posts, read 30,577 times

Advertisements

I'm guessing in the 'overall' caregory the answers will be pretty bleak, but hows about Downtown?

If someone lived directly in the center city, would they be able to bop on over to the supermarket, bop to the laundromat, bop bop to catch a movie, bop bop bop to the gym, the bank? All on their own two bi-pedals?

Thank ya kindly folks. -tips his filthy dirty stetson obligingly-

Last edited by American Heart; 07-12-2016 at 04:46 PM.. Reason: I a stoopit head.(minor typos)
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2016, 06:56 PM

4,623 posts, read 3,949,608 times
In downtown area there are a couple of banks and maybe a gym, restaurants you can walk to...Movies, supermarkets, you would want to drive to....Laundromats, no idea.

Billings is spread out and still in a growth stage. The West end is seeing more commercial development. Downtown with exception of a few blocks is not that vital.

I think it would be a difficult town to be in without a car. Bicycle riding might be chancy the way some drivers "navigate" traffic. There is some sort of public transportation bus line, but I'm not sure how much of Billings it covers

Old 07-12-2016, 08:47 PM

823 posts, read 574,180 times
I would talk to a real estate agent that knows downtown. There could be condos hidden away that we don't know about that could be perfectly situated for what you want. Now, in the winter, I wouldn't recommend walking everywhere. It can be downright dangerous. I have seen many cars in just the last two years that have hit ice and careened onto the sidewalk. Thank God that no one was walking at the time, but this can happen especially where there is a slight hill or downslope.

If you want to walk for environmental reasons, I can understand. If it is for budgetary reasons, I have been there too. But I would highly recommend having a car for the winter.

Old 07-13-2016, 02:28 AM

38 posts, read 30,577 times
Eric, your vibes are good man..haha.

Great post brother. Yea, Billings is out after reading what you wrote. Really just a pipe dream, living in MT sans vehicle. For both environmental and budget reasons mind you, but I think I'll stick to Spokane or Boise for my new move, now that you've nudged in the necessary perspective.

Billings year-round on foot? Maybe in 30 years or so. Concur.

Old 07-13-2016, 02:40 PM

823 posts, read 574,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by American Heart View Post
Eric, your vibes are good man..haha.

Great post brother. Yea, Billings is out after reading what you wrote. Really just a pipe dream, living in MT sans vehicle. For both environmental and budget reasons mind you, but I think I'll stick to Spokane or Boise for my new move, now that you've nudged in the necessary perspective.

Billings year-round on foot? Maybe in 30 years or so. Concur.

You "could" do it now, but man it will be very dangerous in the winter. I have a co-worker who bikes to work most of the year. But he does have a car he uses in the winter months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or