Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2016, 04:32 PM

817 posts, read 753,062 times

Advertisements

I've always heard Montana is the most speeder friendly state. Does that mean they never pull anybody over? Is there a limit that's frowned upon to pass?

I drove through there on 90 a few years ago and it was beautiful. I kept it between 80 and 85 miles an hour, but was always tempted to do more because of the supposed leniency I've heard about. I never saw a cop anywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2016, 05:00 PM

6,756 posts, read 8,581,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Charger View Post
I've always heard Montana is the most speeder friendly state. Does that mean they never pull anybody over? Is there a limit that's frowned upon to pass?

I drove through there on 90 a few years ago and it was beautiful. I kept it between 80 and 85 miles an hour, but was always tempted to do more because of the supposed leniency I've heard about. I never saw a cop anywhere.
There aren't a lot of Hwy Patrol to cover the state, so the chance of running into one is slimmer than other places.
That said, most will cut you slack if you're within 5 MPH of the speed limit, but be warned, they will bust you if you're speeding, and may add a reckless to it if you're way over the limit, or if the road conditions are bad.

The days of the Montanaban are over, and the days of the $5 ticket are history as well.

You may skate for a while, but you'll run out of luck eventually, and the Hwy Patrol isn't forgiving just because you have a fast car.

Just an FYI, the speed limit drops below 80 going over the Bozeman Pass, and they lie in ambush there. They'll be happy to enlighten you

Old 07-27-2016, 10:51 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,235,515 times
Wyoming is very strict on the portions of interstate that are 80 mph. And fines in those areas are higher than on any other roads as well. Iirc, it's cheaper to get a ticket for 85 (or faster) on an 75mph stretch than on an 80mph stretch -- unless you're doing 20 mph over the limit. Then they might simply throw you in jail and bankrupt you!

80 mph is fast enough, really. I got nailed by a deer a couple weeks ago -- while doing 80. He took out my front bumper, right front quarter panel, both right doors, rear quarter panel and rear bumper... and then he trotted off. He came up out of a ditch on the run. I didn't see him until a split second before impact. Of course the natural (and worst) thing you do at a time like that is swerve to miss him, and I found myself in the left lane working to get the car back under my control.

I'm glad I wasn't being passed at the time of impact, or that the roads weren't a little slick from rain, etc. Yes, 80 is fast enough.

Old 07-31-2016, 04:09 PM

387 posts, read 554,975 times
So, now there is a catch 22 here. We can drive 80 on most of the freeways as they recently raised the limit, but the word on the street is that you don't get more than 5 above that or they will start pulling you over. There aren't that many state troopers, so the odds aren't that great that you will get pulled (though that Bozeman pass thing is definitely true - I see that all the time commuting from Livingston). However, if you are in Bozeman we have a million cops now, and it seems like with all the levies for a new public safety center being denied, they are looking for ways to fund their force, so they are pulling people over for everything imaginable. I have never seen so many cops anywhere, and there are red and blue lights flashing constantly. It's even a joke at our house because there are cops that sit on two places on our street and spend all Saturday night pulling people over, and they use our side street as the place where people turn in, and so whenever we have people over for dinner, we can see their lights reflecting on our dining room walls all night. Welcome to the new era.

Old 08-01-2016, 08:02 AM

5,585 posts, read 5,015,250 times
Does the weather permit in Montana for this type of high speed driving and are the roads paved and well maintained for t his kind of driving?
I wonder how my Corvette and Mustang GT will fare on Montana roads and weather.

Old 08-01-2016, 08:30 PM

In the summer it is fantastic. The interstates are excellent and very drivable. The secondaries vary depending on where you are. Tertiary roads can be anywhere from great to terrible. It really depends on the county.

Old 08-01-2016, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senah View Post
So, now there is a catch 22 here. We can drive 80 on most of the freeways as they recently raised the limit, but the word on the street is that you don't get more than 5 above that or they will start pulling you over. There aren't that many state troopers, so the odds aren't that great that you will get pulled (though that Bozeman pass thing is definitely true - I see that all the time commuting from Livingston). However, if you are in Bozeman we have a million cops now, and it seems like with all the levies for a new public safety center being denied, they are looking for ways to fund their force, so they are pulling people over for everything imaginable. I have never seen so many cops anywhere, and there are red and blue lights flashing constantly. It's even a joke at our house because there are cops that sit on two places on our street and spend all Saturday night pulling people over, and they use our side street as the place where people turn in, and so whenever we have people over for dinner, we can see their lights reflecting on our dining room walls all night. Welcome to the new era.
Sounds like CommieFornica.

Old 08-02-2016, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
Sounds like CommieFornica.
We're on the way...

Old 08-02-2016, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senah View Post
We're on the way...
You mean Montana is becoming another California? I don't think so.

Old 08-02-2016, 09:55 AM

4,539 posts, read 12,404,526 times
Back in the late 90s, after the Feds released control of the interstates back to the States, Montana had it's "Safe & Reasonable" period of speed limits. I was traveling through on I-80 I believe. The sky was blue, the light was good, the asphalt was dry, and the road was straight as far as the eye could see. I thought, what the heck, here's my chance and I drove several miles going 100 mph. I believed the speed was defensible given the conditions. However, I could literally see the gas gauge drop as I drove. Still, I was able to get that out of my system, and then went back to driving 80 - 85 mph. By the way, that's about the speed people drive on I-5 in California's Central Valley another flat, straight stretch of road. The only difference being the amount of traffic is much higher - commuters between LA & SF, and huge amounts of truck traffic - even though it is rural.

At some point, the combination of crash survivability and fuel consumption just doesn't make higher speeds worth it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana