U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2016, 05:03 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,535,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
Subaru comes up alot.
You can't really go wrong. Excellent cars for inconvenient weather conditions in MT, and they're a great alternative to some of the monstrous, obnoxious pickups you see rolling around here (I think in 2016, a pickup truck is more of a cultural symbol than a necessity for a lot of people who own them).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2016, 11:33 PM

1,694 posts, read 1,226,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montguy View Post
You can't really go wrong. Excellent cars for inconvenient weather conditions in MT, and they're a great alternative to some of the monstrous, obnoxious pickups you see rolling around here (I think in 2016, a pickup truck is more of a cultural symbol than a necessity for a lot of people who own them).
I am not into trucks and do not know much about them. But find one that rides like a luxury car and that will be fine. Back in the day those truck suspensions are just too hard on body. Getting away from stiff rides whether they be sports cars or performance cars. For me to have a truck would be a waste since I don't haul or move stuff.
What is an excellent car in Montana? A Cadillac, Buick, Mazda Miata-great gas mileage, Toyota Corolla-great gas mileage? Front wheel drive? Seems to be all wheel drive keeps coming up. My cars are all rear wheel drive probably not the best for Montana.

Old 08-04-2016, 01:09 PM

823 posts, read 577,062 times
I see tons of FWD and RWD cars here. Again, it depends on if you are going to drive out of town in the winter. If you live in town, and don't travel much during the winter, you can drive anything.

As for the comment about trucks being a cultural symbol. This isn't New York. The people that I know that have trucks, use them. In fact, I don't see allot of brand new trucks. Most are old, dusty, rusty, and beat up.

Now, don't get me started on those almost useless mini SUV's I see all over the place. Now that is a waste of a vehicle, small as a car, can't tow, can't go off-road, with bad gas mileage. Yet I see TONS of CRV's, Jukes, RAV4's, all over the place.

Old 08-04-2016, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsvibe View Post
I see tons of FWD and RWD cars here. Again, it depends on if you are going to drive out of town in the winter. If you live in town, and don't travel much during the winter, you can drive anything.

As for the comment about trucks being a cultural symbol. This isn't New York. The people that I know that have trucks, use them. In fact, I don't see allot of brand new trucks. Most are old, dusty, rusty, and beat up.

Now, don't get me started on those almost useless mini SUV's I see all over the place. Now that is a waste of a vehicle, small as a car, can't tow, can't go off-road, with bad gas mileage. Yet I see TONS of CRV's, Jukes, RAV4's, all over the place.

For me it would be doing my shopping at Costco and other errands at Wal-Mart.

Old 08-09-2016, 10:27 PM

148 posts, read 122,082 times
I drive a RWD sports car. I put snow tires on it; otherwise it would be completely unusable in the winter. With snow tires, it's passable, but barely. Does well on ice but not so well on accumulated snow. Fortunately, most roads are plowed promptly up here, but I have been briefly immobilized in intense snow squalls before. Also, the large tire widths that these cars have (especially the vette) really suck at displacing and plowing through snow. On the other hand, wide tires are actually good at gripping ice.

FWD does considerably better in the snow -- you don't even typically need snow tires on a FWD car.

Another consideration is you might find difficulty finding snow tires for your cars. For mine (BMW 428i) it was rather tough.

Last edited by brb going fishing; 08-09-2016 at 10:37 PM..

Old 08-10-2016, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brb going fishing View Post
I drive a RWD sports car. I put snow tires on it; otherwise it would be completely unusable in the winter. With snow tires, it's passable, but barely. Does well on ice but not so well on accumulated snow. Fortunately, most roads are plowed promptly up here, but I have been briefly immobilized in intense snow squalls before. Also, the large tire widths that these cars have (especially the vette) really suck at displacing and plowing through snow. On the other hand, wide tires are actually good at gripping ice.

FWD does considerably better in the snow -- you don't even typically need snow tires on a FWD car.

Another consideration is you might find difficulty finding snow tires for your cars. For mine (BMW 428i) it was rather tough.
Yes Corvettes have limitations on them as well as the Mustang. Mustang is very limited on finding the factory size tires for this car because of the age of car.

I don't want to give up these cars. But I need to move. In fact I am planning on my next car to be a Challenger.

Old 08-12-2016, 10:47 AM

4,641 posts, read 3,964,996 times
I neglected to add that a ranchland or herder front bumper is the required accessory for a MT pickup worth any money.

Old 08-13-2016, 06:24 PM

I will be buying a Challenger Hellcat regardless in addition to the cars I already have. If I need another vehicle it will be an Subaru SUV for snow or whatever the other cars that I have a preference for cannot handle.

Old 08-13-2016, 11:03 PM

7,540 posts, read 12,570,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
To drive on a paved road, no. If you want to go off roading, probably not a good idea.
For some years my aunt's cow-herding vehicle was a 1960 VW Bug. Apparently no one told her it wasn't a jeep.

Old 08-13-2016, 11:07 PM

7,540 posts, read 12,570,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsvibe View Post
And if they have a new truck, it's cuz they wore out the old truck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana