U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2016, 08:23 AM

1,652 posts, read 1,212,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senah View Post
I'm trying to find an old reduxed FJ43 hard top land cruiser but with a larger engine to drive out here, but it is harder because they are few and far in between. There are loads of FJ40s around, but for the gear I need to haul around in the back if you are in the back country I just can't make the 40 work. Like others said, I think it really depends on what you use it for. I want a larger engine than the traditional because I will also use it as a daily driver which isn't a big deal, but I have to commute for hunting, so I need it to be able to handle the highway. I also don't want a soft top if I am out in the woods overnight with a dead deer in back.

There are a lot of considerations depending on what you do in MT. That said, you definitely see both sides of the spectrum - people who have huge dually trucks in their driveways that never do more than glass elk from the highway and pick up their kids from soccer practice, and little corollas that end up on gravel roads basically in the back country. In a state like this, you just never know what you'll run into! I actually kind of like it.
Considering Kalispell, Marion that area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2016, 12:05 PM

387 posts, read 356,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
Considering Kalispell, Marion that area.
Yeah, but I guess what I mean is: 1) how much time will you spend on the highway/developed roads vs. back country or tertiary roads, 2) what will your driveway situation look like, will this be your only vehicle, 3) what is the budget, 4) what is your driving experience?

All of these things will invariably affect the vehicle choice. Sometimes even a better outfitted vehicle won't be as good for someone if they don't know how to take care of it or use it to its potential. Or, if you are living in a development in Kalispell and you will spend 90% of your time commuting to and from work and in town, then you would want a larger engine and better tires that won't be so noisy and make the car jumpy as the speed limits here are high. Etc.

Old 08-16-2016, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senah View Post
Yeah, but I guess what I mean is: 1) how much time will you spend on the highway/developed roads vs. back country or tertiary roads, 2) what will your driveway situation look like, will this be your only vehicle, 3) what is the budget, 4) what is your driving experience?

All of these things will invariably affect the vehicle choice. Sometimes even a better outfitted vehicle won't be as good for someone if they don't know how to take care of it or use it to its potential. Or, if you are living in a development in Kalispell and you will spend 90% of your time commuting to and from work and in town, then you would want a larger engine and better tires that won't be so noisy and make the car jumpy as the speed limits here are high. Etc.
I will be retired so no commuting for me. I prefer paved roads. I don't know what the house will have as far as gravel driveway, dirt or paved. I will have more than one car as I already have two right now. I do not do any kind of off roading. Just regular highway driving preferably on the best roads.
We have some of the worst roads here full of potholes and bumps that will damage your wheels and suspension of your vehicle.

Old 08-16-2016, 12:29 PM

4,623 posts, read 3,945,312 times
Town streets and county roads in most MT communities are rough & potholed. State & US highways are good & bad depending on location. Interstates tend to be okay, but often have semi tire debris to avoid.

Old 08-16-2016, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by historyfan View Post
Town streets and county roads in most MT communities are rough & potholed. State & US highways are good & bad depending on location. Interstates tend to be okay, but often have semi tire debris to avoid.
It sounds almost as bad as it is here.

Old 08-17-2016, 05:53 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,533,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by historyfan View Post
I would compliment Montana's maintenance of our interstates, actually (tire debris notwithstanding). I was reminded of how good we have it a few weeks ago while crossing into WY on I-90. Things evened out past Sheridan, but still.

But yeah, local governments here are too damn broke/short-sighted to maintain the most basic infrastructure, so keep your expectations very, very low.

Last edited by Montguy; 08-17-2016 at 06:05 PM..

Old 08-18-2016, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montguy View Post
I would compliment Montana's maintenance of our interstates, actually (tire debris notwithstanding). I was reminded of how good we have it a few weeks ago while crossing into WY on I-90. Things evened out past Sheridan, but still.

But yeah, local governments here are too damn broke/short-sighted to maintain the most basic infrastructure, so keep your expectations very, very low.
Does Montana have better roads than Wyoming?

The roads here are the worst. Per news media they estimate each motorist here spends $2,700 annually on car maintenance and repair because of the potholes and torn up roads we have here. Lots of neglect.

Old 08-18-2016, 08:19 AM

7,538 posts, read 12,557,146 times
Ya know, we like to complain about our roads here and our oh-so-horrible road maintenance... but go across the border into rural Mexico and you'll be singing a different tune. Our roads are FANTASTIC by comparison. In 1982 I thought just for variety I'd go from Tecate to San Diego on the Mexican side of the border... major state highway, should be fine, right? or at least better than in Tecate, where the main drag was a bit rough. I got about a quarter mile out and decided it would take all day to go 60 miles, cuz my top speed, in a rough-road-friendly pickup, was 25mph. The road was more potholes than asphalt.... in a climate that doesn't routinely destroy the road like Montana winters do.

Old 08-18-2016, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
Ya know, we like to complain about our roads here and our oh-so-horrible road maintenance... but go across the border into rural Mexico and you'll be singing a different tune. Our roads are FANTASTIC by comparison. In 1982 I thought just for variety I'd go from Tecate to San Diego on the Mexican side of the border... major state highway, should be fine, right? or at least better than in Tecate, where the main drag was a bit rough. I got about a quarter mile out and decided it would take all day to go 60 miles, cuz my top speed, in a rough-road-friendly pickup, was 25mph. The road was more potholes than asphalt.... in a climate that doesn't routinely destroy the road like Montana winters do.
isn't Wyoming winters or just the weather worst than Montana?

Old 08-18-2016, 04:45 PM

4,623 posts, read 3,945,312 times
I would not say either is true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana