Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2016, 11:23 AM

5,583 posts, read 5,003,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
East of Helena
That is the area I am interested in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2020, 01:30 PM

145 posts, read 368,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post

Love it!! Great Deer catcher!!

I'd go with narrower tires though, better in snow.
This is just not true at all, the more tire the more grip, friction and surface area. Just look at icelandic off-road vehicles as an example

Yep totally resurrected lol

Old 08-06-2020, 02:37 PM

6,756 posts, read 8,573,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firetraq View Post
This is just not true at all, the more tire the more grip, friction and surface area. Just look at icelandic off-road vehicles as an example

Yep totally resurrected lol
Try it sometime. Those big balloon tires have more footprint yes, but in deep snow tend to float up on top of drifts, then break through when the full weight is applied, then you're high centered and not going anywhere until you shovel out.

Narrow tires cut through and maintain more contact with the ground so you push the snow over your bumper but keep going.

Old 08-06-2020, 02:51 PM

8,087 posts, read 15,153,325 times
Indeed, that's the problem I have with my dually... it's reasonably surefooted on ice (big contact area and lots of well-balanced weight), but that wide rear tends to shove deep snow into an impenetrable pile, rather than going on through it.

Old 08-12-2020, 09:38 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,037,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsvibe View Post
I see tons of FWD and RWD cars here. Again, it depends on if you are going to drive out of town in the winter. If you live in town, and don't travel much during the winter, you can drive anything.

As for the comment about trucks being a cultural symbol. This isn't New York. The people that I know that have trucks, use them. In fact, I don't see allot of brand new trucks. Most are old, dusty, rusty, and beat up.

Now, don't get me started on those almost useless mini SUV's I see all over the place. Now that is a waste of a vehicle, small as a car, can't tow, can't go off-road, with bad gas mileage. Yet I see TONS of CRV's, Jukes, RAV4's, all over the place.

Uh....Alabama giving advice on vehicles for Montana??

You want a high mileage vehicle in Montana. Driving time is measured in hours, not miles. You want a GOOD stereo system for tunes along the way.

Winter driving in Montana is no big deal. It is cold and it really doesn't snow much. You can stop on snow covered roads at below zero without much difficulty. When the temp is around 32 or slightly higher that is when it becomes very difficult to stay on the road.

I have ALWAYS owned a truck and many times owned TWO at the same time.

That said.....the best winter and off-road vehicles I have owned.

Datsun 710 station wagon

Honda Pilot

Toyota RAV 4

Good highway rig in winter....

Honda Accord

Worst vehicles in winter.....

Datsun pickup. Kick in the pants truck, loved it. Driving in winter was a adventure.

Chevy S-10....truly the most AWFUL rig every built, totally useless in the woods and on the highway!!

Dodge Ram 3/4 Ton short bed....parked most of the winter.

Dodge Ram 1 ton long bed.........parked most of the winter

For Montana.....A cross-over SUV that gets HIGH MILEAGE and comes with a excellent stereo system.

As a retired Forester, after 50 years, I would take one of those mini-SUV's over any pickup truck in winter. Those mini-SUV's do perfectly fine in the woods.

If you need to tow or have work needs......buy a truck.

Otherwise...a SUV. Next time you drive past a Forest Service office take a look at the "official" government vehicles. Those are "work" vehicles....count the trucks and SUV's.

In most cases, the trucks are bought because of tradition.

Old 08-12-2020, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
Uh....Alabama giving advice on vehicles for Montana??

You want a high mileage vehicle in Montana. Driving time is measured in hours, not miles. You want a GOOD stereo system for tunes along the way.

Winter driving in Montana is no big deal. It is cold and it really doesn't snow much. You can stop on snow covered roads at below zero without much difficulty. When the temp is around 32 or slightly higher that is when it becomes very difficult to stay on the road.

I have ALWAYS owned a truck and many times owned TWO at the same time.

That said.....the best winter and off-road vehicles I have owned.

Datsun 710 station wagon

Honda Pilot

Toyota RAV 4

Good highway rig in winter....

Honda Accord

Worst vehicles in winter.....

Datsun pickup. Kick in the pants truck, loved it. Driving in winter was a adventure.

Chevy S-10....truly the most AWFUL rig every built, totally useless in the woods and on the highway!!

Dodge Ram 3/4 Ton short bed....parked most of the winter.

Dodge Ram 1 ton long bed.........parked most of the winter

For Montana.....A cross-over SUV that gets HIGH MILEAGE and comes with a excellent stereo system.

As a retired Forester, after 50 years, I would take one of those mini-SUV's over any pickup truck in winter. Those mini-SUV's do perfectly fine in the woods.

If you need to tow or have work needs......buy a truck.

Otherwise...a SUV. Next time you drive past a Forest Service office take a look at the "official" government vehicles. Those are "work" vehicles....count the trucks and SUV's.

In most cases, the trucks are bought because of tradition.
For Montana I hear Subies are mostly used there.

Old 08-15-2020, 08:36 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,037,074 times
The only problem with Subies is that they come with John Kerry bumper stickers already affixed and everybody thinks your a lesbian.

IF you get a Subie in Montana be sure to put a Earth First bumper sticker on it......the one that says Log Earth First....we will log the other planets later.

That will confuse everybody.

Old 08-19-2020, 01:46 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,635,943 times
Both my kids have Subaru Outbacks. My son bought his grandads old car and its still adorned with the Rocky Mountain National Park stickers where he worked in his retirement years.

My daughter bought a similar year Outback.

They are comfortable and practical rigs, and they do well out here. When my wife and I were young and broke, we commuted together an hour each way to work (we lived in WV, worked in MD). We bought a stripped down Impreza wagon 5spd for under $12,000 new. We put over 300K on that car. Only had one failure- a $35 crank position sensor. It was an awesome car. When we moved I sold it to my godfather who lived in a cabin up in the mountains in WV- 6 miles up logging roads. Last I heard she's still running!

My boss retired and moved to Costa Rica. He had a Nissan Xterrs Pro4x 'whatever'. He announced in his last staff meeting he was trying to sell it. Less than 35,000 miles. Loaded. I asked how much? He said "umm-$8,500". I said SOLD!!! It's a nice rig. Locking rear diff, leather- room for dog kennels in the back.. My wife loves it.

I have a 2016 Chevy 2500 with a 6.0 gas- 4wd and a 1972 Chevy Cheyenne K20. My 2016 does fine in the snow. No problems.

My son also bought a 1st gen Toyota Tacoma 4x4. They are super common out here too.

Old 08-19-2020, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
The only problem with Subies is that they come with John Kerry bumper stickers already affixed and everybody thinks your a lesbian.

IF you get a Subie in Montana be sure to put a Earth First bumper sticker on it......the one that says Log Earth First....we will log the other planets later.

That will confuse everybody.
426 HEMI OR 440 SIX PACK

OR even better a 427 CORVETTE

71 455 HO Trans-AM
73 455 SD Trans-Am
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana