Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2016, 03:21 PM

3 posts, read 2,205 times

Advertisements

My husband and I live in a small town in Oklahoma, we enjoy the outdoors and your typical outdoor activities including fishing and hunting, just being outside in general. We live on a 5 acre farm and love having our privacy and being away from the city and the hustle and bustle of life. However, we have been wanting a change of scenery. If any of you have been to Oklahoma you will know what I mean. It is just a very bland place.

We have been talking about relocating for some time now, just trying to decide where. We knew we wanted something in the Wyoming or Montana area but are leaning much more to Montana. We are personally most productive in the winter months. The heat just drags us down. We would love a cooler climate. It seems like most of the articles I am reading online are negative about Montana. Saying the people are unfriendly to tourist and outsiders, jobs are hard to find and when you do find one it won't pay anything. I don't want to believe everything that I am reading online so I was hoping to hear from some locals!

We would want to buy some acreage, privacy is very important to us. A small town is ideal but also close to a bigger town that we can venture out to if need be. Also, being not that far away from an airport would be nice too. I have been researching the Kalispell area but an open to other areas. We love our guns and other country/like minded people so a community like that would be wonderful. The town we are in now has about 7-8K people and most days it seems just right! Any advice/info would be appreciated.

I know moving from Oklahoma would be a challenge and the cost of living is higher in Montana. I was looking up rental apartments/homes and they are higher than what we are used to. The job thing is a big concern for me. We both work at a car dealership so I'm sure my husband would like to stick with that but I am open to another field for myself.

Any insight would be super helpful. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2016, 03:37 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,145,170 times
You should certainly check on the City Data main page to find out stats on any city that you consider. I live in N.D., a flat tundra, except for the Badlands of Western N.D. I'm no expert, having lived in Western N.D. and spent time working and traveling in MT for a spell, it left a great impression.

Montana is beautiful and mountainous and a bit more "cowboy" than N.D. with the exception of Western N.D. bordering MT. You sound like you might enjoy the down to earth folks, just as I do.
Check the "Lets visit on the porch" thread in MT section on City Data....the folks will have some great insights.

My ex-renter moved this Spring to Columbia Falls Montana....The pics online are beautiful and it looks like there are lots of outdoor activities. It is right outside Glacier Park which I haven't visited for years, but is breath taking and beautiful. Columbia Falls Montana - Gateway to Glacier National Park

My current renter is from Whitefish, Montana....another gorgeous area. Although I've always heard it is pricey. Home - Whitefish Chamber of Commerce, MT

Last edited by JanND; 08-06-2016 at 03:55 PM..

Old 08-06-2016, 04:15 PM

1,448 posts, read 1,931,163 times
OP, my heart-felt thoughts to you, displayed in plain English:

You can do better than Montana. Be careful, and closely research other areas that offer rural life and new scenery without the pervasive stagnancy of MT...North/Northeastern CO, Northern Utah, Spokane WA + Northern ID, maybe Southern Oregon...have you already considered any of those areas?

Old 08-06-2016, 04:57 PM

8,454 posts, read 8,688,210 times
Columbia Falls strikes me as a good suggestion. Other Montana options include Laurel / Columbus, Hamilton, or south or east of Helena. In Wyoming, Cody and Sheridan are usual possibilities. Glenrock / Douglas outside of Casper might possibly work for you if the commute isn't too much. In CO, I'd suggest Montrose or Craig.

Last edited by NW Crow; 08-06-2016 at 05:09 PM..

Old 08-06-2016, 07:27 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,496,923 times
We've friends in Oklahoma. In OK you can buy ranches for a million, not like MT.

Ok is bible belt buckle country. Montana is not. This would be a deal breaker for many Oklahomans. But the people are nice here, just many are private about their religious views.

I would get the job offers & pick towns from those. Contact same brand dealerships in MT.

Much of Montana is very rural and the largest towns are not cities. It does get hot in summer but usually not a lot of tornados. And summer is shorter.

Old 08-06-2016, 08:03 PM

10,304 posts, read 13,837,207 times
My husband and I live in a small town in Oklahoma, we enjoy the outdoors and your typical outdoor activities including fishing and hunting, just being outside in general. We live on a 5 acre farm and love having our privacy and being away from the city and the hustle and bustle of life. However, we have been wanting a change of scenery. If any of you have been to Oklahoma you will know what I mean. It is just a very bland place.

The scenery is nice in the western third of the state, it's more bland in the eastern two thirds. The scenery doesn't pay the bills however. You can hunt and fish just about anywhere public or with landowner permission.

We have been talking about relocating for some time now, just trying to decide where. We knew we wanted something in the Wyoming or Montana area but are leaning much more to Montana. We are personally most productive in the winter months. The heat just drags us down. We would love a cooler climate. It seems like most of the articles I am reading online are negative about Montana. Saying the people are unfriendly to tourist and outsiders, jobs are hard to find and when you do find one it won't pay anything. I don't want to believe everything that I am reading online so I was hoping to hear from some locals!

It is true that many jobs don't pay well and good paying ones are hard to come by. There are also many unfriendly locals, although this doesn't apply to everyone.

We would want to buy some acreage, privacy is very important to us. A small town is ideal but also close to a bigger town that we can venture out to if need be. Also, being not that far away from an airport would be nice too. I have been researching the Kalispell area but an open to other areas. We love our guns and other country/like minded people so a community like that would be wonderful. The town we are in now has about 7-8K people and most days it seems just right! Any advice/info would be appreciated.

Airports are few and far between, most towns go from small to nonexistent.

I know moving from Oklahoma would be a challenge and the cost of living is higher in Montana. I was looking up rental apartments/homes and they are higher than what we are used to. The job thing is a big concern for me. We both work at a car dealership so I'm sure my husband would like to stick with that but I am open to another field for myself.

Your biggest concern, especially if you want acreage in the pretty parts and want to enjoy recreation is a good job, and they are tough to find. Definitely don't go hoping you'll find something after moving. Make sure you have a job lined out first. It's tough to make a living but it is possible. Just make sure you do your homework and are prepared.

Any insight would be super helpful. Thank you!

Old 08-08-2016, 01:20 PM

910 posts, read 1,076,257 times
Hey OP, what type of work do you guys do at a dealership?

Most of the larger towns have dealerships. Kalispell has higher real estate prices when compared to other parts of Montana. I would get a map, and then to to realtor.com to check our the prices in the area you are looking. You might be surprised that from one town to another, there could be a big difference in real estate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana