Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2016, 07:32 PM

14 posts, read 13,940 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montguy View Post
Northern Idaho, like perhaps Coeur d'Alene or Post Falls, may be worth a look for anyone who's considering Western MT. Similar vibes and lifestyle to Northwestern MT, disgustingly conservative, but closer (about 30 mins on a good day) to a medium-sized city, that being Spokane, WA, which is part of a combined metro area with Cd'A. Larger job market, better COL should you maybe decide to live on the WA side of the state-line. A lot of commuters from either direction.

Further to the south, there's Boise-Meridian-Nampa...if you want lower populations, do look into Caldwell, Eagle and Kuna (each within 30 mins to Boise proper), along with probably dozens of smaller towns within the metro. Nice area, growing fast but nonetheless very outdoorsy and proud of it. If the "outdoorsy" culture is what you're looking for, though, you'll find it regardless of which end of Idaho you choose for relocation.

In order to save yourself the hassle of relocating again in 5 years, just nix Montana. At least in Idaho, you'll be close enough to visit.
thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2016, 07:35 PM

14 posts, read 13,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patches403 View Post
What's your budget? Determining what you consider affordable/low cost could take some of the best Montana options off your list. Based on your list other than price in Montana my first suggestions would be Bozeman or Missoula, but you likely can't afford either. The reality is that affording 10+ acres with a house within a reasonable commuting distance to cities big enough to have colleges is out of most peoples' budgets in a lot of Western states.

Idaho isn't really within your 1 day driving criteria, but would meet most of your other criteria. I can't speak to whether or not it's affordable enough for you. If you're willing to go past the 1 day driving requirement, Spokane sounds like it would be a good option for you and would have better job/college options for both of you than Montana, Wyoming or Idaho. You would have to research to see whether or not it would be affordable for you. Northern Colorado around Denver would work for your criteria other than it's definitely not low cost.
I will be making about $40-50k a year and my fiancee will be going back to school once I graduate so we will be going mostly off of my income. We really don't want to be farther out than one day, we moved 21 hours away for me to go to school and settling down to start a family close to our families is important to us. I'm sure we will find a town that works for us! We have been seriously looking into Helena, MT. The only thing possibly that would drive us away are job opportunities.

Old 08-17-2016, 10:22 PM

8,489 posts, read 8,771,754 times
You might want to check a real estate site or two for property between Winston and Townsend along Canyon Ferry Lake. Might find some affordable, mid-sized land / properties. Might be cheaper than closer in. But check the school choices. The area I mentioned is in Broadwater county and it is a small rural county. Of course you could move in 5 plus years if you later decide it isn't where you want kids to go to school or at least the later years of school.

If you haven't already, use Google maps / street view to "drive around" and look at various spots.

Last edited by NW Crow; 08-17-2016 at 10:30 PM..

Old 08-17-2016, 10:50 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,426,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariaandtanner View Post
I will be making about $40-50k a year and my fiancee will be going back to school once I graduate so we will be going mostly off of my income. We really don't want to be farther out than one day, we moved 21 hours away for me to go to school and settling down to start a family close to our families is important to us. I'm sure we will find a town that works for us! We have been seriously looking into Helena, MT. The only thing possibly that would drive us away are job opportunities.
I've always liked Helena From what I've been told it's been growing at a pretty good pace in the last few years and is more affordable than Bozeman or Missoula.

You should also check out Great Falls as well; it's only about a 10 - 11 hour drive from Great Falls to Rapid - it might even be a closer drive than Helena is. If I were ever to move back to a city in Montana my first choice would be Bozeman. My second choice would probably be Great Falls and third would be a toss-up between Billings or Helena.

Old 08-18-2016, 02:25 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,371,712 times
Montguy is right, N. Idaho may be a good fit. Or Spokane area. You get a lot of bang for the buck on the Washington side.

Old 08-18-2016, 04:47 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,524,829 times
See where you get job offers & then come back here for town comparisons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana