U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2016, 11:33 AM

1,341 posts, read 1,003,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by historyfan View Post
Marion will get a lot of snow. I do not know how overcast in winter months it will be. It is very small population, no services area. That section of highway 2 tends to be closed on some days in the winter.

Helena will have more below zero days than Kalispell, some days may be colder than 40below & with wind very cold, less snow than Kalispell, & not much humidity in Helena. It is in the area that is affected by Alberta Clippers, which are severe fast cold fronts in winter.

Kalispell will be overcast most of winter. Typically has deeper snow than Helena, and more icy road days in winter, ice fog & black ice. Weather fronts come from PNW.

I would consider Marion area to be pleasant summer cabin/home spot.

I will have to look up the population figures. I know Marion is low in population and that maybe what I want. But I also hear Kalispell is a very nice place but it is probably more crowded there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2016, 11:58 AM

148 posts, read 109,893 times
If you're looking for forests and trees, NW Montana is the most heavily wooded portion of the state. Helena's surrounding mountains are forested, but not the valley itself. OTOH, you can definitely find homes in places like Montana City that are built among the trees.

NW MT tends to have cooler summers and warmer winters, but with a healthy dose of clouds and rain/snow. If Kalispell is too large and Marion too small, you might look into places like Columbia Falls, Lakeside, Bigfork, Whitefish, etc. Tons of options around.

Old 09-02-2016, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brb going fishing View Post
If you're looking for forests and trees, NW Montana is the most heavily wooded portion of the state. Helena's surrounding mountains are forested, but not the valley itself. OTOH, you can definitely find homes in places like Montana City that are built among the trees.

NW MT tends to have cooler summers and warmer winters, but with a healthy dose of clouds and rain/snow. If Kalispell is too large and Marion too small, you might look into places like Columbia Falls, Lakeside, Bigfork, Whitefish, etc. Tons of options around.
Yes I have heard of Bigfork and would consider looking into those other areas you mentioned.
I like the idea of the forest and trees for privacy and shade but I don't want to be in danger of forest fires or high maintenance in landscaping.

Old 09-04-2016, 01:59 PM

7,050 posts, read 8,203,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
What are these towns like? Is there lots of open space, forest with little or no people and traffic?
Weather? Condition of roads as in well maintained smooth roads or full of potholes?
I've never been to Marion so can't say anything about that one. Helena and Kalispell have forest around them and I'm sure you can find places with not so many people. Both can get cold, Kalispell tends to be more gray in the winter. Both have nice summers with low humidity. The major roads are maintained, secondary roads might be hit or miss.

Old 09-06-2016, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
I've never been to Marion so can't say anything about that one. Helena and Kalispell have forest around them and I'm sure you can find places with not so many people. Both can get cold, Kalispell tends to be more gray in the winter. Both have nice summers with low humidity. The major roads are maintained, secondary roads might be hit or miss.
That kind of weather is fine with me.

Old 09-12-2016, 08:33 AM

4,113 posts, read 3,453,068 times
Fyi- yesterday on the stretch of Hwy 2 by Marion the road report was "snowing heavily with low visibility".

There are a some places in Montana where it is snowing right now--September 12. Here in southeastern MT it is raining.

Old 09-12-2016, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by historyfan View Post
Fyi- yesterday on the stretch of Hwy 2 by Marion the road report was "snowing heavily with low visibility".

There are a some places in Montana where it is snowing right now--September 12. Here in southeastern MT it is raining.

Old 10-01-2016, 03:19 PM

82 posts, read 73,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
What are these towns like? Is there lots of open space, forest with little or no people and traffic?
Weather? Condition of roads as in well maintained smooth roads or full of potholes?
Currently live in Flathead Valley and am familiar w/ all 3 locales. Lots of details depending on what's important to you. I'll try to be brief:

General

MT is VERY conservative/libertarian leaning. Many who come here get irritated with this and try to change things. That just doesn't happen. Montanans like their guns, hunting/fishing and their Liberty so if one wants to relocate up here and fit in they'll do great but I've seen the opposite. I know (and hear from) many Leftists who constantly bellyache about all the "rednecks", Christians, etc, etc. Well, what did you expect? The Northerly, Intermountain states are on average very different from Berkely CA or Boulder CO. There are "more" Dems in areas like Missoula or Whitefish but those are not the norm.

I know that might sound like a rant to some people but just stating what I would hope is the obvious.

Helena

Been there a few times, not my cup of tea (coffee). Larger town as already stated. Surrounding mountains and region are a bit different from NW MT and Kalispell and Marion.

Kalispell

I'm a current resident. Fastest growing town in MT. Resort town (crowded roads in summer). VERY high property and real estate prices. Summers are nice and mostly dry; fire danger is always an issue being in the mountains and every summer depending on the drought in the West and what forest fires may or may not be burning, one can experience a week or two of bad air quality to up to a full month of bad air quality. That's what we had Summer 2015, a full month.

Winters are average to above average in terms of snowfall and cold. But the Flathead Valley experiences a winter inversion for most of the season. Last year, we had a full month where there was zero sunshine. Make sure you are the type that this will not effect; I personally underestimated this, much to my detriment. I can sum up and conclude, "Winters suck." up here. The inversion doesn't affect other people; different genetics, I guess. But sunshine is critical for physical well-being; supplement with Vitamin D in the winters if you do move here.

Roads? IMO, the road crew maintains them decently. Potholes are common because of the tough winters and freezing conditions. But during winter, Kalispell road crews does an outstanding job of plowing the roads when it snows. At least compared to other areas I've lived in. They stay on top of things. I dislike them using salt for icy roads and would prefer an alternative (that is ecologically and environmentally safer).

Open spaces? Lots of them. The Feds own a large chuck of the forested land here (like other Western states) but one can still buy 5/10/20 acres on the outskirts of town if you have the $$$$. Which brings me to property prices: They keep increasing and are ridiculously high. Real Estate is out of control here. I had a realtor friend tell me, "Unless one is willing to stay here for the rest of your life, I don't recommend buying a property in Flathead County at this time...". Rental properties are likewise expensive and VERY tough to find; the good ones go within a day of their being advertised.

Politically speaking, Kalispell/Flathead County fits in the Conservative/Christian mold that I alluded to earlier. Lots of churches and 10 Commandments signs all over the area. Again, depending on your viewpoint, you'll love it or hate it. But realize it is what it is.

Marion/Kila

Beautiful, more rural areas just west of Kalispell. This is where you can find your rural properties and more acreage, but again, be prepared to pay for it. However, prices aren't comparatively as bad as east of Kalispell in the Creston/Bigfork areas.

I have friends in the Marion/Kila areas and most people out there are considered even more Conservative/Christian than in Kalispell. Very blue collar and down to earth folks. People who live here almost all make the commute into Kalispell for work; the main roads are maintained. The secondary roads in winter are usually plowed via local neighbors banding together, chipping in informally to pay for it and get it done.

IMO, a BIG issue for any property purchase west of Kalispell (West Valley is also in this group): In the past year it has finally come to light that many property owners wells (a large percentage of them) are polluted with radon and/or uranium. It's a MAJOR issue. The real estate community has tried to stifle this info to their discredit and shame. Do a word search on the Flathead Beacon's website and you will find the articles on this subject. One article was a large expose that came out around January, I believe. Prospective folks thinking about relocating to NW MT and buying property in this area need to be educated on this subject before making the move. I wish I had found out about this info before I moved to MT.

So much for brevity....

Old 10-01-2016, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayne Cobb View Post
Currently live in Flathead Valley and am familiar w/ all 3 locales. Lots of details depending on what's important to you. I'll try to be brief:

General

MT is VERY conservative/libertarian leaning. Many who come here get irritated with this and try to change things. That just doesn't happen. Montanans like their guns, hunting/fishing and their Liberty so if one wants to relocate up here and fit in they'll do great but I've seen the opposite. I know (and hear from) many Leftists who constantly bellyache about all the "rednecks", Christians, etc, etc. Well, what did you expect? The Northerly, Intermountain states are on average very different from Berkely CA or Boulder CO. There are "more" Dems in areas like Missoula or Whitefish but those are not the norm.

I know that might sound like a rant to some people but just stating what I would hope is the obvious.

Helena

Been there a few times, not my cup of tea (coffee). Larger town as already stated. Surrounding mountains and region are a bit different from NW MT and Kalispell and Marion.

Kalispell

I'm a current resident. Fastest growing town in MT. Resort town (crowded roads in summer). VERY high property and real estate prices. Summers are nice and mostly dry; fire danger is always an issue being in the mountains and every summer depending on the drought in the West and what forest fires may or may not be burning, one can experience a week or two of bad air quality to up to a full month of bad air quality. That's what we had Summer 2015, a full month.

Winters are average to above average in terms of snowfall and cold. But the Flathead Valley experiences a winter inversion for most of the season. Last year, we had a full month where there was zero sunshine. Make sure you are the type that this will not effect; I personally underestimated this, much to my detriment. I can sum up and conclude, "Winters suck." up here. The inversion doesn't affect other people; different genetics, I guess. But sunshine is critical for physical well-being; supplement with Vitamin D in the winters if you do move here.

Roads? IMO, the road crew maintains them decently. Potholes are common because of the tough winters and freezing conditions. But during winter, Kalispell road crews does an outstanding job of plowing the roads when it snows. At least compared to other areas I've lived in. They stay on top of things. I dislike them using salt for icy roads and would prefer an alternative (that is ecologically and environmentally safer).

Open spaces? Lots of them. The Feds own a large chuck of the forested land here (like other Western states) but one can still buy 5/10/20 acres on the outskirts of town if you have the $$$$. Which brings me to property prices: They keep increasing and are ridiculously high. Real Estate is out of control here. I had a realtor friend tell me, "Unless one is willing to stay here for the rest of your life, I don't recommend buying a property in Flathead County at this time...". Rental properties are likewise expensive and VERY tough to find; the good ones go within a day of their being advertised.

Politically speaking, Kalispell/Flathead County fits in the Conservative/Christian mold that I alluded to earlier. Lots of churches and 10 Commandments signs all over the area. Again, depending on your viewpoint, you'll love it or hate it. But realize it is what it is.

Marion/Kila

Beautiful, more rural areas just west of Kalispell. This is where you can find your rural properties and more acreage, but again, be prepared to pay for it. However, prices aren't comparatively as bad as east of Kalispell in the Creston/Bigfork areas.

I have friends in the Marion/Kila areas and most people out there are considered even more Conservative/Christian than in Kalispell. Very blue collar and down to earth folks. People who live here almost all make the commute into Kalispell for work; the main roads are maintained. The secondary roads in winter are usually plowed via local neighbors banding together, chipping in informally to pay for it and get it done.

IMO, a BIG issue for any property purchase west of Kalispell (West Valley is also in this group): In the past year it has finally come to light that many property owners wells (a large percentage of them) are polluted with radon and/or uranium. It's a MAJOR issue. The real estate community has tried to stifle this info to their discredit and shame. Do a word search on the Flathead Beacon's website and you will find the articles on this subject. One article was a large expose that came out around January, I believe. Prospective folks thinking about relocating to NW MT and buying property in this area need to be educated on this subject before making the move. I wish I had found out about this info before I moved to MT.

So much for brevity....
Great info and lots of it too Thanks!..
I am all for guns, hunting/fishing and Liberty. I don't want anymore taxes and government interference we get here in commiefornicate.
I am not into politics but whatever kind of people we have here suck big time I think they would be considered "Liberals"?
I am sick of them because all they do is create more taxes and want to put more restrictions on our lives. They always speak in the name or interest for the sake and best interest of the children to get laws passed i.e.soda tax.

They Create more taxes like grocery tax, soda tax, and more gas tax. You think prices are going up in Montana rents here are $3,000+ per month 1 bed stuido as well as mortgages that cost even more. Property taxes same thing.
sales tax here is 9%+ Houses are in the 1 million dollar range to start.

As far as guns go San Francisco has banned possession of hollowpoint bullets That's how restrictive it has got in the city by the bay that no longer have any gun shops.

Berkeley is still full of radicals and they have already imposed a soda tax. Plastic bags have been banned here so when you go to a grocery store here you either bring your own bag or pay extra for grocery bags. If t hey could charge you for the air that you need to breathe here they would charge or tax you on it.

Also computer applications have been created for those of you into computers and smartphones so you can find parking from someone and pay extra money for that spot.

I tell you I am sick of this place and greedy people as well as the traffic grid lock and all of these traffic signals at every corner. My cars are being ruined. ("WE GOTTA GET OUTTA OF THIS PLACE EVEN IF IT'S THE LAST THING WE EVER DO)

All stop and go nowhere driving since we are in constant gridlock here with the roads tearing up the suspensions of our cars that require smog tests every two years.

We need someplace where there are little to no traffic and idiot people here who will take your life when you drive on the public roads.

By the way onE LAST question, on a saturday night at popular restaurants do you have to wait up to 45 minutes to get a seat and wait in long lines?
Are the parking lots full? Where you can't find parking?

Old 10-01-2016, 05:25 PM

82 posts, read 73,496 times
Quote:
I am not into politics but whatever kind of people we have here suck big time I think they would be considered "Liberals"?
I am sick of them because all they do is create more taxes and want to put more restrictions on our lives. They always speak in the name or interest for the sake and best interest of the children to get laws passed i.e.soda tax.
To be fair, it's not just Liberals/Democrats who are big government but RINO Republicans/establishment Republicans, as well. However, from what it seems almost 100% of D's are big government and the ones who are ruining places like CA, etc. The pro-Liberty/Constitution politicians are almost always either Republicans or 3rd pary/libertarians.

Quote:
By the way onE LAST question, on a saturday night at popular restaurants do you have to wait up to 45 minutes to get a seat and wait in long lines?
Are the parking lots full? Where you can't find parking?
Haha, no, at popular restaurants one usually don't have to wait 45 minutes to get a seat or have to deal w/ full parking lots. It's the high population centers that you are having those issues, it seems. Sorry to hear that.

It definitely seems like you need to get out of CA sooner than later. I just advise you do your due diligence and not make any rash decisions. Look at not only MT but WY and ID, as well. All three states offer similar environments and lifestyles. You might even look into a book called "Strategic Relocation" by Joel Skoussen. It's a large resource that compares all 50 states (as well as Canada) and compares numerous categories. It may turn off some because of Skoussen's religious and political opinions, but the raw state data is invaluable. If you can't afford it, see if your local library could carry it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or