U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2016, 12:35 AM

1,696 posts, read 1,230,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayne Cobb View Post
To be fair, it's not just Liberals/Democrats who are big government but RINO Republicans/establishment Republicans, as well. However, from what it seems almost 100% of D's are big government and the ones who are ruining places like CA, etc. The pro-Liberty/Constitution politicians are almost always either Republicans or 3rd pary/libertarians.

Haha, no, at popular restaurants one usually don't have to wait 45 minutes to get a seat or have to deal w/ full parking lots. It's the high population centers that you are having those issues, it seems. Sorry to hear that.

It definitely seems like you need to get out of CA sooner than later. I just advise you do your due diligence and not make any rash decisions. Look at not only MT but WY and ID, as well. All three states offer similar environments and lifestyles. You might even look into a book called "Strategic Relocation" by Joel Skoussen. It's a large resource that compares all 50 states (as well as Canada) and compares numerous categories. It may turn off some because of Skoussen's religious and political opinions, but the raw state data is invaluable. If you can't afford it, see if your local library could carry it.
Again many thanks for the info. Strange thing for you to mention looking into Wyoming, Idaho because I am. You can also include northern Nevada outside of the Reno and Carson city area Dayton, Fernley and maybe Fallon.

Wyoming I have heard gets real bad hail storms that will damage your cars.
Wyoming is suppose to be more desolute than Montana in fact it is No. 2 with Alaska being #1 most desolute and secluded.
The only thing I don't like about Alaska is they don't have roads ( I own Corvettes and Mustangs/muscle cars) where I would want to drive and it costs alot of $$$ since everything has to be shipped in. I would like to find out what are the big differences between Wyoming and Montana. Montana seems to have more forrests and lakes which I would like for fishing and hunting. Wyoming homes appear to cost less to buy but the style of the homes don't appeal to me as much as the styles of house in Montana.

I do not want to be near "Tornado alley" or on the East sides of Montana or Wyoming because of that. I do not want to deal with damaging winds as I have heard Wyoming is more harsh weather than Montana. Perhaps I would prefer more north west in those two states.

Idaho I am curious about investigating further.
Nevada would have the least amount of snow of all the above states have the least harshest weather but it's a desert (i like lakes,oceans and water) and its getting expensive there. Also I don't like the fact that it's near Commiefornicate.

I just need to get away from these long lines in stores, gas stations, backed up for months medical appointments, and the highway violence we have here. Just in this area we have had over 17 shootings with fatalities on the road within a year. Also can't find parking and people will shoot and fight you over a parking spot. So no more lines, waiting and need plenty of parking. Minding your own business, Parking your car and going into a store buying what you need and leaving without waiting in a long line and finding parking does not exist here anymore because there are just too many idiot people here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2016, 07:51 PM

83 posts, read 85,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
Again many thanks for the info. Strange thing for you to mention looking into Wyoming, Idaho because I am. You can also include northern Nevada outside of the Reno and Carson city area Dayton, Fernley and maybe Fallon.

Wyoming I have heard gets real bad hail storms that will damage your cars.
Wyoming is suppose to be more desolute than Montana in fact it is No. 2 with Alaska being #1 most desolute and secluded.
The only thing I don't like about Alaska is they don't have roads ( I own Corvettes and Mustangs/muscle cars) where I would want to drive and it costs alot of $$$ since everything has to be shipped in. I would like to find out what are the big differences between Wyoming and Montana. Montana seems to have more forrests and lakes which I would like for fishing and hunting. Wyoming homes appear to cost less to buy but the style of the homes don't appeal to me as much as the styles of house in Montana.

I do not want to be near "Tornado alley" or on the East sides of Montana or Wyoming because of that. I do not want to deal with damaging winds as I have heard Wyoming is more harsh weather than Montana. Perhaps I would prefer more north west in those two states.

Idaho I am curious about investigating further.
Nevada would have the least amount of snow of all the above states have the least harshest weather but it's a desert (i like lakes,oceans and water) and its getting expensive there. Also I don't like the fact that it's near Commiefornicate.

I just need to get away from these long lines in stores, gas stations, backed up for months medical appointments, and the highway violence we have here. Just in this area we have had over 17 shootings with fatalities on the road within a year. Also can't find parking and people will shoot and fight you over a parking spot. So no more lines, waiting and need plenty of parking. Minding your own business, Parking your car and going into a store buying what you need and leaving without waiting in a long line and finding parking does not exist here anymore because there are just too many idiot people here.
WY: Land and house prices are MUCH cheaper overall than MT. Sure, there are still more rural areas in MT where property is more reasonable, but it's not so much in the more urban areas. The Flathead that you specifically mentioned, again, is very expensive. Bozeman is even crazier; IIRC, it's one of the highest in the country. Too bad, too. The Bozeman area is beautiful.

WY is also famous for the wind, yes. It's mostly in the low, wind swept plains and open areas. If you can afford the various mountain areas in the state you would have less of it. But...there is also wind in MT locales, as well. Pull up a wind map online, that'd be your best resource. We here in the Flathead still get quite a bit of wind certain seasons.

NW WY....if you can afford it, sure, check into it. It's super expensive still in the Jackson area.

NV: I think in the northern part of the state there are a few mountain communities that are nice. That's what I heard, anyway. I believe they're pretty remote.

ID: Really nice in the mountains. Similar situation as MT.

Sounds like you need to do a big road trip sometime. Maybe take a month off, travel through all your areas and investigate, and see what area ultimately "speaks" to you. Good luck, man.

Old 10-02-2016, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayne Cobb View Post
WY: Land and house prices are MUCH cheaper overall than MT. Sure, there are still more rural areas in MT where property is more reasonable, but it's not so much in the more urban areas. The Flathead that you specifically mentioned, again, is very expensive. Bozeman is even crazier; IIRC, it's one of the highest in the country. Too bad, too. The Bozeman area is beautiful.

WY is also famous for the wind, yes. It's mostly in the low, wind swept plains and open areas. If you can afford the various mountain areas in the state you would have less of it. But...there is also wind in MT locales, as well. Pull up a wind map online, that'd be your best resource. We here in the Flathead still get quite a bit of wind certain seasons.

NW WY....if you can afford it, sure, check into it. It's super expensive still in the Jackson area.

NV: I think in the northern part of the state there are a few mountain communities that are nice. That's what I heard, anyway. I believe they're pretty remote.

ID: Really nice in the mountains. Similar situation as MT.

Sounds like you need to do a big road trip sometime. Maybe take a month off, travel through all your areas and investigate, and see what area ultimately "speaks" to you. Good luck, man.
Thanks for all the info. All i Know is that I want lots of privacy where I live, no traffic, no long lines, lots of parking wherever I may have to shop and left alone free from government tryanny. Would prefer to live not too far from a Costco maybe 30 minutes tops.

Expensive= ?? $400,000+??

Old 10-03-2016, 06:16 PM

3,806 posts, read 3,993,771 times
I wanna get away from people but I wanna be near a retailer who only goes where the population is dense enough. Yeah, folks want it both ways. There are edges, some places, not others. Kalispell can play both ways.

But Costco in Idaho? Boise, Nampa, Twin Falls and Coeur d'Alene. Wyoming? Fort Collins CO. Nevada? Las Vegas (multiple in area), Reno, Carson City.

Between Sandpoint and Coeur d"Alene might work for you.

Old 10-03-2016, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Thanks for all the info. All i Know is that I want lots of privacy where I live, no traffic, no long lines, lots of parking wherever I may have to shop and left alone free from government tryanny. Would prefer to live not too far from a Costco maybe 30 minutes tops.

Expensive= ?? $400,000+??
Sure, I understand. For your criteria and needs MT, WY and ID offer some of the best of what you're looking for, but they're certainly not perfect. None are free from .gov tyranny, for example. Kalispell gets a lot of traffic during summer and the tourist season. Etc, etc.

400K....it all depends. Size of the house? Waterfront property? In town? Out of town? Multiple factors, and you'll have to find out what's important for you. But for a specific example, 400K for a lake front property on Flathead Lake probably wouldn't cut it; it's a premier piece of real estate. But 400K in Marion or Kila (or even further west in Libby...), would get you a lot more property.

Old 10-03-2016, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post

Definitely! NW Crow is correct. Beautiful country over there, as well.

Old 10-03-2016, 09:17 PM

3,806 posts, read 3,993,771 times
In that area you have Sagle, Cocolalla, Bayview, Spirit Lake, Hayden / Hayden Lake, etc.

In earlier post I should have said that from northern Wyoming you'd probably head x hours to Costco in Billings Montana.

Old 10-04-2016, 05:36 AM

7,666 posts, read 8,958,791 times
There's still government in these states. I can't figure out why people think they're going to get away from that by moving out west. From personal experience I can safely say that there is a VERY LOUD minority in Montana and Wyoming who are extremely vocal about their political beliefs so you'll hear about politics quite frequently.

Old 10-04-2016, 05:54 AM

16,025 posts, read 19,580,121 times
Quote:
I will have to look up the population figures. I know Marion is low in population and that maybe what I want. But I also hear Kalispell is a very nice place but it is probably more crowded there.
The main page of City Data has everything you need to know about anyplace. Just type in the name of the city. Great resource.
You tube has many videos of many places, and is quite interesting. Try it as well.

Old 10-04-2016, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
I wanna get away from people but I wanna be near a retailer who only goes where the population is dense enough. Yeah, folks want it both ways. There are edges, some places, not others. Kalispell can play both ways.

But Costco in Idaho? Boise, Nampa, Twin Falls and Coeur d'Alene. Wyoming? Fort Collins CO. Nevada? Las Vegas (multiple in area), Reno, Carson City.

Yes thanks. You are correct. Costco goes by the numbers per their marketing research and will be in more populated areas. ( I need to be 10 or more miles away from populated areas)
Wyoming has no Costco. I don't think Idaho does either. I was told by a friend in Grangeville, Idaho they go to Costco in Washington from Idaho because they tax the food in Idaho.
Montana has Costco's throughout the more populated areas.

Nevada has 2 in the areas I would consider: Reno and Carson City but I wouldn't live in those places of Nevada as I would go more towards the rural areas of Fernley, Dayton, or Stage Coach. Don't want to live in a subdivision anywhere.

Reason why I like Costco because it is a one stop shopping place for me. I can get everything I need in one place.

Walmart too is fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or