U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2016, 11:29 AM

1,969 posts, read 1,453,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
Come on over to the Idaho forum and ask away. Lots of info about Sandpoint and CdA.
Great Idaho looks good too especially the northern part and Coeur d'Alene
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2016, 11:15 AM

89 posts, read 94,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
I WON'T be commuting. I'll be retired
Heck, if you're retiring you're golden; you have a lot more options. If I were retiring, I'd get as rural as I could get. I then wouldn't look at an area like Kalispell, I'd look around Sandpoint and areas like that for sure.

Quote:
With all of this snow I guess I will have to get a Subaru or find a part of Montana where it doesn't snow if that exists.
Yeah, a "non-snowy MT" really doesn't exist, brother. There's a reason there's a little over 1 million people total in a state this size. The snow and cold and the perceptions of such are what keep most people away.

I highly recommend at a minimum something with 4 wheel drive for the winters. Depending where you end up, maybe even studded snow tires on top of that. They're good investments.

Additionally, a good pickup truck to haul things is equally important; not sure if you've given that thought. If you end up having a wood stove (and you should ), then you'll need to haul wood for it. Etc, etc. Again, a good investment.

Old 10-08-2016, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayne Cobb View Post
Heck, if you're retiring you're golden; you have a lot more options. If I were retiring, I'd get as rural as I could get. I then wouldn't look at an area like Kalispell, I'd look around Sandpoint and areas like that for sure.

Yeah, a "non-snowy MT" really doesn't exist, brother. There's a reason there's a little over 1 million people total in a state this size. The snow and cold and the perceptions of such are what keep most people away.

I highly recommend at a minimum something with 4 wheel drive for the winters. Depending where you end up, maybe even studded snow tires on top of that. They're good investments.

Additionally, a good pickup truck to haul things is equally important; not sure if you've given that thought. If you end up having a wood stove (and you should ), then you'll need to haul wood for it. Etc, etc. Again, a good investment.

As rural as you can get sounds good. I on the other hand don't want to deal with alot of maintenance because of my back and neck ailments. But that's the trade-off. I will certainly check Sandpoint.

Yes like Wyoming it's the wind, snow and weather that keeps people away whereas here it's just the opposite we have tons of people coming here from everywhere. (Just too many fish in the tank)

A pick-up truck would be a waste for me as I don't haul things and probably won't be in as great physical shape to do that kind of work. I did ride in a Dodge Ram 1500 pickup and the ride in that truck was like a CAD smoother than my cars. Also a Chev. Silverado rode like a Cadillac compared to my cars.

Perhaps an AWD SUV/or Subaru. Something that rides smooth because of my back.

Old 10-08-2016, 01:24 PM

5,893 posts, read 9,602,986 times
NWM, I've got back problems, too, and our 2015 Subaru Forester has heated seats (including the back rest), which is a really nice feature. It takes dirt roads like a charm, and they say it does well in the snow, too. We haven't tested that out yet, but it handles slick roads fine in the rainy reason.

Our problem with the Forester is that it doesn't have nearly the cargo space we need. But it was a compromise purchase. What I really wanted was a Jeep Commander! But they got terrible reviews as road trip vehicles (and of course we'd have to get a used one, taking over somebody else's car problems), and since we need to be able to drive from SoCal to NID (North Idaho) and back at least once a year until I retire, we had to take that into consideration. The Forester is indeed a good "road" vehicle, great gas mileage, steady, quiet, etc. It just irks me that we have to ship boxes with stuff to NID every time we make a trip up there, because we don't have enough room, even with a "pod" on the roof.

Less snow in MT? A realtor tried to sell us a place in Troy, and told us there's less snow there. Personally I don't believe that--it gets as much snow as anywhere in NID/NW MT, but it does have the lowest elevation in Montana. But stay west of the Continental Divide. Once you get east of the Divide, winter temperatures plunge (or so our MT friends tell us!)

Old 10-09-2016, 04:39 AM

Quote:
NWM, I've got back problems, too, and our 2015 Subaru Forester has heated seats (including the back rest), which is a really nice feature. It takes dirt roads like a charm, and they say it does well in the snow, too. We haven't tested that out yet, but it handles slick roads fine in the rainy reason.

Our problem with the Forester is that it doesn't have nearly the cargo space we need. But it was a compromise purchase. What I really wanted was a Jeep Commander! But they got terrible reviews as road trip vehicles (and of course we'd have to get a used one, taking over somebody else's car problems), and since we need to be able to drive from SoCal to NID (North Idaho) and back at least once a year until I retire, we had to take that into consideration. The Forester is indeed a good "road" vehicle, great gas mileage, steady, quiet, etc. It just irks me that we have to ship boxes with stuff to NID every time we make a trip up there, because we don't have enough room, even with a "pod" on the roof.

Less snow in MT? A realtor tried to sell us a place in Troy, and told us there's less snow there. Personally I don't believe that--it gets as much snow as anywhere in NID/NW MT, but it does have the lowest elevation in Montana. But stay west of the Continental Divide. Once you get east of the Divide, winter temperatures plunge (or so our MT friends tell us!)
Subaru Forester is that a AWD car or SUV? It isolates good against potholes or bumpy roads too?
So what does the lowest elevation result in?
Where is east of the Divide?
Don't forget the snow in Wyoming.

Old 10-09-2016, 10:16 AM

5,893 posts, read 9,602,986 times
The Forester is an AWD SUV. It's not an either-or. But having driven the Subaru Outback with is an AWD wagon, slightly longer than the Forester, I'd say it takes bumpy roads better. Just about everybody swears by Outbacks in the NW.

Look at any map of the U.S.; the Continental Divide runs through Glacier NP and wiggles south through the Rockies. Missoula is to the west of it. Bozeman is to the right.

I'm on my cellphone and can't look up Troy's elevation right now, but it is something like 2500 ft.

Old 10-10-2016, 04:38 PM

Quote:
The Forester is an AWD SUV. It's not an either-or. But having driven the Subaru Outback with is an AWD wagon, slightly longer than the Forester, I'd say it takes bumpy roads better. Just about everybody swears by Outbacks in the NW.

Look at any map of the U.S.; the Continental Divide runs through Glacier NP and wiggles south through the Rockies. Missoula is to the west of it. Bozeman is to the right.

I'm on my cellphone and can't look up Troy's elevation right now, but it is something like 2500 ft.
So higher elevation = more snow and more cold?

If the Subaru Forester is a Luxury SUV perhaps I will look further into it. I just need something very comfortable and smooth riding to drive so it doesn't injure my back and neck more.

I might also consider Missoula and Bozeman in the rural areas.

Old 10-10-2016, 04:45 PM

19 posts, read 37,545 times
Marion used to be a fun place to be thirty some years ago. Loggers, cowboys, and a few hippies. Over the last few years some real dregs of society have moved into the area. Shooting up the neighbors seem to be one of the favorite pastimes now.

Old 10-10-2016, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric Carter View Post
Marion used to be a fun place to be thirty some years ago. Loggers, cowboys, and a few hippies. Over the last few years some real dregs of society have moved into the area. Shooting up the neighbors seem to be one of the favorite pastimes now.
Sounds like what it used to be here but 30 years ago (different type of people) it wasn't as BAD as BAD is it is now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or