U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2016, 12:50 PM

10 posts, read 11,218 times

Advertisements

How is the weather in the Hamilton bitterroot valley area
compared to the general Bozeman area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2016, 04:07 PM

156 posts, read 94,310 times
They are surprisingly similar to one another. I'd say the Hamilton area sees more clouds and more precipitation over a longer period of time during the year, but on the plus is more moderate in temperature and weather occurrences such as storms. Bozeman on the other hand is slightly more sunny more often during the year, but also experiences more weather "extremes", such as quick temperature changes, big storms with lightning, and faster, colder winds.

Old 09-06-2016, 08:05 PM

3,795 posts, read 3,987,784 times
Way more snow in Bozeman itself than Hamilton on average. Less snow than in town if you are out in lowlands west of Bozeman (think Manhattan or further west). Livingston gets less than Bozeman, more than Manhattan and probably fairly similar to Hamilton. Incomplete and contradictory data makes it hard to give a simple answer that is indisputable. 5-10 miles from a weather station can also make a big difference because of micro-climate factors.

Last edited by NW Crow; 09-06-2016 at 08:15 PM..

Old 09-07-2016, 02:18 PM

Thanks. I've never lived in the mountains, but I'm realizing climates can be so very different even a few minutes apart.
So Manhattan usually gets less snow than Bozeman?
We are moving out there (from Iowa) next year.
My husband is likely getting a university job but could be posted at any of the agricultural stations in Montana and they cover just about the whole state. I'm really hoping to end up in the western half.

Old 09-07-2016, 03:29 PM

This might be the best climate guide Montana Climate Summaries
but give some consideration to the notes about incomplete data especially on snowfall and avg. snowdepth.

Manhattan gets 1/3 to 1/2 the snow of the Bozeman station. I hear snowfall can vary a lot even within Bozeman city limits.

Western MT is most people's preference. Central and SW MT can work if you can handle small towns. SE MT can work too, with visits to Billings. NE MT? For energy workers or rural plains lovers.

Old 09-07-2016, 08:10 PM

4,641 posts, read 3,964,996 times
Winter anywhere in Montana could be brutal.

Hamilton as a general rule has milder winter weather & less snow & a longer growing season than Bozeman. I imagine it is because Bozeman is 1300 feet higher in elevation.

Old 09-09-2016, 07:29 AM

That was a really helpful link, thank you!
I love small towns as long as they have a community feel and it's not just a stop on the highway. I also love living in the country and have for most of my life, but clearly that is a different animal
in Montana than in most states.
I'm think higher elevation would be better for my mold and pollen allergies. Is there a good online map that you know of showing different elevations around the state?

Old 09-09-2016, 10:34 AM

There are online topographic maps that give the big picture but this list Elevation of Montana Cities and Towns
is better for getting the elevation numbers of cities and towns.

Accuweather.com has mold and pollen data by city and pollen.com has at least pollen by city.

Of this list http://agresearch.montana.edu/researchcenters.html
I'd be positive about most. I would be least favorable to Sidney (for distance to mountains and highly inflated housing costs due to energy workers) and Havre (above average violent crime, but risk varies by who you are and where exactly you live & go and what you do). Definitely visit, especially to last two, before committing. But sometimes it can be worth a stop you aren't super fond of to get into system and perhaps get a better pick later with some time to prove self and gain seniority / favor.

Last edited by NW Crow; 09-09-2016 at 11:06 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or