U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2016, 04:08 PM

49 posts, read 30,949 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I'm coming to West Yellowstone, CA to NV to ID to MO, and then through WY, and am hoping to find out places to eat, play, relax etc..as a single girl and still have company.

Any tips are appreciated.

Thank you😊
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2016, 06:01 PM

148 posts, read 123,033 times
West has an active nightlife and a big party scene... you're gonna love it.

Just kidding. Basically zero nightlife within a 500 mile radius of Yellowstone. If you're looking to meet other travelers, perhaps hostels would be a good idea. Most people in West and in Jackson are families on vacation, so it's probably going to be difficult meeting people outside the hostels and maybe in a few local bars. Obviously nearly all activities revolve around the outdoors.

Old 09-14-2016, 01:35 AM

5,798 posts, read 9,294,198 times
You may want to do a guided backpacking/sightseeing tour with a group. Great way to get to know people under reasonably safe conditions.
Yellowstone Hiking Tours, Guided Yellowstone Backpacking Trips
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti...e_Montana.html
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti...e_Montana.html
And so forth.

Old 09-14-2016, 08:51 AM

4,720 posts, read 4,013,639 times
Jackson, WY & West Yellowstone, MT are completely different socio-economic places. Jackson is upscale & West Yellowstone with a couple of exceptions is a tourist trinket type town.

When are you visiting? The time of year will have a significant bearing on the crowd numbers & composition.

Old 09-14-2016, 12:14 PM

Ha ha, thanks for the responses. No party life needed.

I was just thinking about a place I could sit at a bar and eat and have interesting conversation.

I'm arriving in West Yellowstone on sept 22.

I will be going out for a few hours on the Madison one day.

The guided tour sounds like a good idea.

Any hot springs that you can go in?

I have been to Jackson before but with a local but any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks everyone!! I'm excited to get on the road and get there.

Old 09-14-2016, 12:16 PM

I'll have my dog with me so two weeks of asking him if he needs to go out will be my social life, hope to change that.
Nah, I know I will��

Old 09-14-2016, 12:21 PM

FTR, as I received a pm about this.

I am not a "professional", just a girl coming to honor my father and I enjoy meeting locals everywhere I travel.

Old 09-14-2016, 01:41 PM

3,873 posts, read 4,040,208 times
On CD there are some posts that are unusual or could be subject to different interpretations.

In NV I'd consider a quick stop in Ruby Mtns near Elko or Great Basin National Park east of Ely for fall colors. In Idaho I'd drive to the Sawtooths. Stop in Ketchum for town / people stuff. Island Park, Mesa Falls in extreme NE corner of Idaho are nice. Horseback riding should be available in Harriman State Park or just outside it. Jackson is worth some time but could stay in Driggs or Alpine to save money. If you like to drive around, look at land, the area south of Pocatello is interesting including City of Rocks near Almo. Or the valleys between Arco and Salmon for dry, really remote beauty. The Wind River lakes east of Pinedale WY are amazing too.

Hot springs near Jackson http://www.jacksonholenet.com/nature...ot_springs.php
or google hot springs and Idaho or Wyoming for more options.

Last edited by NW Crow; 09-14-2016 at 02:02 PM..

Old 09-14-2016, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
On CD there are some posts that are unusual or could be subject to different interpretations.

In NV I'd consider a quick stop in Ruby Mtns near Elko or Great Basin National Park east of Ely for fall colors. In Idaho I'd drive to the Sawtooths. Stop in Ketchum for town / people stuff. Island Park, Mesa Falls in extreme NE corner of Idaho are nice. Horseback riding should be available in Harriman State Park or just outside it. Jackson is worth some time but could stay in Driggs or Alpine to save money. If you like to drive around, look at land, the area south of Pocatello is interesting including City of Rocks near Almo. Or the valleys between Arco and Salmon for dry, really remote beauty. The Wind River lakes east of Pinedale WY are amazing too.
What does CD mean?

Going through your post, Yes! The Ruby Mountains are amazing. I stayed at the Thomas Canyon campground last year and am going to stay there for my second night of driving next week.
Stunning. Best little campground.

I also camped out of Sun Valley last year on a forest road along the Big Wood river, sawtooth NP.
Stunning too and it was nice to have water running next to my sleeping spot.

Island Park, Harriman SP, Driggs and Alpine are unknown to me so I will look them up.

My plan is to camp outside of Jackson at Upper Teton View, free camping with a million dollar view.

Is the City of Rocks you are talking about the Flintstones looking free camping? Giant boulders? I'm trying to find the right City of Rocks that I once saw but it seems there are several City of Rocks. I think I am trying to find the Utah one.

Ohhhh Wow! You have named a ton of places I have not heard of, thank you!!!
I'll start looking them up.

I enjoy car camping in beautiful spots for at least half of my trip. NF and BLM etc land.
The prettier and off the formal campground map the better.

Thank you!!!!!😊😄👍🎉😎🐶

Old 09-14-2016, 02:12 PM

Oops, thank you for the hot springs link too ����
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or