U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-23-2016, 08:40 PM
 
Location: California
49 posts, read 30,767 times
Reputation: 17

Advertisements

Well after all my worrying about a sitter and if he would bark as people walked down the hall...yes...and the hotel rule of not leaving an animal alone....was for naught.
When I went into the fly shop this morning the guide just assumed he was coming along.

Thank you my angel above. I know you sent me this one
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-23-2016, 08:42 PM
 
Location: California
49 posts, read 30,767 times
Reputation: 17
And yes,I am a dog person but I won't ruin other's vacations by leaving my dog I the room alone, you never know.
Love my animals but know they are normally fine without me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2016, 09:46 AM
 
5,792 posts, read 9,267,562 times
Reputation: 5988
Glad your pooch sitter problem was solved. Isn’t it nice when (under reasonable circumstances) dogs are considered legitimate travel buddies?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2016, 04:04 PM
 
Location: Montana
387 posts, read 358,408 times
Reputation: 678
Yep, Montana = dog friendly. It is really a blessing for most of us here who basically believe our dogs are part of our bodies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-28-2016, 04:57 PM
 
Location: California
49 posts, read 30,767 times
Reputation: 17
Ok, I have to jump in Senah because I was treated soooo badly in West Yellowstone for having him. Not one person anywhere I have gone has been so rude to me.
I don't know why, people shouting at me before walking in, stalking me when I got through the door saying he would go to the bathroom, telling me he's dirty..he's spotless..he sleeps with me and I keep him clean, just overall soo rude.

I believe Montana is dog friendly but not West Yellowstone, he has been a rock star everywhere else we've gone so it all evens out.

You wouldn't believe how many Chinese took pics of him.

Nothing personal but man the shop people don't like dogs in West.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2016, 05:39 PM
 
Location: Montana
387 posts, read 358,408 times
Reputation: 678
I would say West is pretty different in terms of locals vs. travelers. If you are a local I guess it is different, and generally Montana is pretty different than West.

I do have to say your dog is probably pretty great, but you are also probably pretty above average in terms of tourists that visit West. I have seen such crazy stuff happen in West, and dogs sometimes do cause amazing damage in stores and lodgings, and people really don't take any responsibility. Also, not once, but 3 times I have had tourists in West actually barge into my apartment (attached to the business) at night trying to get me to open up and give them services because we were closed and they didn't want to drive anywhere else. One time I was actually in my pajamas sitting on the sofa reading and hadn't remembered to lock the door and there were suddenly 3 guys in my living room (it is a 1 room studio deal). It ended up in this weird argument where they really didn't want to leave my apartment until I got dressed and opened up shop (not happening). Also totally uncomfortable. The fact that it wasn't the first or the second time it had happened meant I had to work hard not to throw the baby out with the bathwater in the future (3 days later someone parked me in so it was almost hard to get out of my door - yep - up on the sidewalk in front of the door to the apartment with his crazy dog inside barking at me as I scooted around his huge truck).

So, I would say that honestly people do treat tourists in West differently than they treat locals, and I'm sorry they were rude to you - there is never any call for that. I think if you were in any of the non-touristy towns in MT you would have a very different experience. Hopefully you get to see that side of the state sometime!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-05-2016, 02:09 PM
 
Location: California
49 posts, read 30,767 times
Reputation: 17
Senah,
Too funny. I get it and understand. I don't want to say anyone is awful that lives there etc..
I believe most are lucky!
I'm not trying to put it down.
I lived most my life in a tight knit dream town, amazing place, and we definitely had different attitudes towards tourists. Same in Hawaii when I lived there. I was sorta in the middle there.
I look forward to seeing Montana and West again too.

Btw, the guys probably thought you were hot and didn't want to leave, come on now. Lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-08-2016, 12:39 PM
 
Location: Montana
387 posts, read 358,408 times
Reputation: 678
Quote:
Originally Posted by Looking and Hoping View Post
Senah,
Too funny. I get it and understand. I don't want to say anyone is awful that lives there etc..
I believe most are lucky!
I'm not trying to put it down.
I lived most my life in a tight knit dream town, amazing place, and we definitely had different attitudes towards tourists. Same in Hawaii when I lived there. I was sorta in the middle there.
I look forward to seeing Montana and West again too.

Btw, the guys probably thought you were hot and didn't want to leave, come on now. Lol
Yeah. I was definitely looking my best.

I know how you feel though. I'm very into having my dog with me. The last time I was in Jackson and seeing all the signs about people being prosecuted if your dog went on their lawn, it really rubbed me the wrong way. My little guy is basically my partner in crime. So, I would definitely not be down with anyone who didn't think he was the bees knees.

Hope the rest of your travels went well. I'm getting ready to do some driving around the state and looking forward to it. Never know what the weather will bring this time of year. It was below freezing a few days ago, supposed to hit 70 tomorrow. MT in the fall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-08-2016, 04:24 PM
 
Location: California
49 posts, read 30,767 times
Reputation: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senah View Post
Yeah. I was definitely looking my best.

I know how you feel though. I'm very into having my dog with me. The last time I was in Jackson and seeing all the signs about people being prosecuted if your dog went on their lawn, it really rubbed me the wrong way. My little guy is basically my partner in crime. So, I would definitely not be down with anyone who didn't think he was the bees knees.

Hope the rest of your travels went well. I'm getting ready to do some driving around the state and looking forward to it. Never know what the weather will bring this time of year. It was below freezing a few days ago, supposed to hit 70 tomorrow. MT in the fall.
Seriously in Jackson? I drove through because I had to. It seemed different than when I had visited my friend there but he is in Wilson.
I can't imagine a sign like that, I'll google it.
Weird people I'm the world and if you don't like animals then I've heard enough.

My trip was perfect, thank you.

Enjoy your trip. It's nice to escape.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2016, 12:03 PM
 
Location: Montana
387 posts, read 358,408 times
Reputation: 678
Quote:
Originally Posted by Looking and Hoping View Post
Seriously in Jackson? I drove through because I had to. It seemed different than when I had visited my friend there but he is in Wilson.
I can't imagine a sign like that, I'll google it.
Weird people I'm the world and if you don't like animals then I've heard enough.

My trip was perfect, thank you.

Enjoy your trip. It's nice to escape.
Here's an article on their take on dogs. Blrg.

Violators of doggy laws think they
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:23 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top