U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2016, 10:19 AM

14 posts, read 10,360 times

Advertisements

I am in the medical field and my boyfriend is a butcher who will be going back to college in the next few years. Looking to settle down for good and start a family.
We are very outdoorsy (trying to stay west in the state for the mountains), rather conservative, and would like the amenities of a city (nothing crazy, we just don't want to have to order everything online anymore!) but we like our privacy and the "good ol' boy" way of life! We will be renting for a short amount of time just until we get settled and have a good idea of location to buy. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2016, 03:01 PM

61 posts, read 46,675 times
I feel like I missed the question.

Old 10-25-2016, 08:40 PM

7,724 posts, read 9,021,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariaandtanner View Post
I am in the medical field and my boyfriend is a butcher who will be going back to college in the next few years. Looking to settle down for good and start a family.
We are very outdoorsy (trying to stay west in the state for the mountains), rather conservative, and would like the amenities of a city (nothing crazy, we just don't want to have to order everything online anymore!) but we like our privacy and the "good ol' boy" way of life! We will be renting for a short amount of time just until we get settled and have a good idea of location to buy. Thanks in advance!
If you want a university the only place in western Montana with one is Missoula. Kalispell is the only other town with many amenities and that's far from Missoula. And are you sure you like the good ole boy way of life? That's the root of a lot of problems. Are you hoping to get into a network like that?

Old 10-26-2016, 01:07 AM

4,739 posts, read 4,019,318 times
Medical field is pretty large field & you did not specify position. Get job offers in several towns and come back here for specific input on communities.

Missoula is western MT and seems divergent from what you seem to be looking for. It is a college town & more liberal than any other in Montana.

Old 10-26-2016, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by historyfan View Post
Medical field is pretty large field & you did not specify position. Get job offers in several towns and come back here for specific input on communities.

Missoula is western MT and seems divergent from what you seem to be looking for. It is a college town & more liberal than any other in Montana.
Missoula is liberal but you can still find plenty of conservative people,there and if you step very far out of town there are plenty of ultra conservative people in western Montana.

Old 10-26-2016, 11:56 AM

3,890 posts, read 4,046,220 times
At about 95,000 in Flathead County, it may be big enough for the original poster, while still being country too. Regional hospital, good community college, some big box stores, some nightlife. Seems like a better choice for a conservative than Missoula.

If you want smaller, look at Hamilton area. Small town but pretty populated county. Third biggest hub west of Butte and Helena, which also are options.

Old 10-29-2016, 09:49 AM

83 posts, read 86,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariaandtanner View Post
Howdy. If you ask some specific questions maybe we can help you out better.

Some good repllies thus far. But as to:

Renting: I'm in Kalispell and can verify that the ENTIRE Flathead Valley is insane when it comes to the rental market. It's been bad for years and seemingly is only getting worse. I thought I heard Missoula was also tight, but can't confirm that. It wouldn't surprise me.

The Flathead definitely is quite conservative and Missoula less so (I'm being nice...), but as I believe some said you can get outside of Missoula proper and find the kind of folks it seems you're looking for, or would rather be around.

And by "good ol' boy" way of life, I take that to mean you want a more rural, blue-collar, laid back type of environment? Hunting/fishing, etc? As opposed to the phrase meaning a political insider who controls all the things behind the scenes in the area? The former is how I took it, anyway, so yes - NW MT is very laid-back and we enjoy everything the outdoors has to offer.

College: Missoula indeed has a college but in Kalispell is Flathead Valley Community College.

Old 10-29-2016, 07:12 PM

4,036 posts, read 4,123,269 times
Here's my take. I think Kalispell, Eureka, Troy, Libby, Shelby, even Cut Bank (though a bit more questionable) & a few others in NW MT fit a great bill. Now I know the OP isn't likely too interested nor able to see it this way. But I maintain that if you really look at the country's direction economically, politically, etc. you'll see a definite reason to find a bit of sanity still left there. I know this'll get flack from many here, yet I believe I'm more right than wrong. Ok, sorry to interject but just all IMHO.

Old 10-30-2016, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movintime View Post
Here's my take. I think Kalispell, Eureka, Troy, Libby, Shelby, even Cut Bank (though a bit more questionable) & a few others in NW MT fit a great bill. Now I know the OP isn't likely too interested nor able to see it this way. But I maintain that if you really look at the country's direction economically, politically, etc. you'll see a definite reason to find a bit of sanity still left there. I know this'll get flack from many here, yet I believe I'm more right than wrong. Ok, sorry to interject but just all IMHO.
I don't think Eureka, Troy, Libby, Shelby, or Cut Bank fit the bill for the college requirement of the OP. Politically maybe, but not a college. And Kalispell only has a community college. And I'm not sure what you mean by economics considering there aren't a whole lot of jobs in those towns.

Old 10-30-2016, 09:14 PM

347 posts, read 338,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
I don't think Eureka, Troy, Libby, Shelby, or Cut Bank fit the bill for the college requirement of the OP. Politically maybe, but not a college. And Kalispell only has a community college. And I'm not sure what you mean by economics considering there aren't a whole lot of jobs in those towns.
I would definitely recommend against most hi-line towns (with the exception of Havre), including Shelby and Cut Bank. Those places have very few amenities, the scenery is ugly, and if you're not from those towns and/or you're not married, it's very hard to fit in and make friends. They can be very cliquey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or