U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2016, 10:04 AM

20 posts, read 21,723 times

Advertisements

a couple of us are thinking of coming out to Montana to do some elk and deer hunting in 2017.are these licenses buy drawing only? which area of the state would we all have a better chance of all of us getting a licenses?thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2016, 11:25 AM

4,911 posts, read 5,798,823 times
For non-resident Deer and Elk, it's by drawing only. You need to look at the drawing statistics in the regulations published by FWP and available on their website at Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks :: Hunting

You can find elk all over the western half of the state, but they can be tough to get to as they may be high like they are this year since we haven't had a lot of snow to push them down out of the high country. If you're not physically able to hike several miles in rough country at high altitude, handle some pretty rough weather that could happen at any time at this time of year, and carry out 4-500 lbs. of meat off a big bull out on your back, you might want to look at renting some horses or talk to an outfitter.

Deer are everywhere either species, Mule deer or Whitetail, but if you're looking for specifics on one species or the other, they do share habitat, but for the big ones, you need to do a little more work.
Just getting a nice buck for the freezer isn't that hard.

This is a huge state and depending on where you go, access can be difficult.

If you have some things you're looking for like handicap access or game numbers or whatever, if you give me a little more information I may be able to help.

Old 11-01-2016, 02:10 PM

right now i am looking for where the highest number of elk and deer are at because i think that would be where they will give out more permits for that area.that way we would have a better chance of all getting a permit right now 3 of us are looking into going. I myself am a meat hunter it would be nice to get a big bull or big buck,but i wouldn't pass on meat after a few days of hunting.are the mule deer and white tail license's buy drawing too?

Old 11-01-2016, 03:39 PM

4,911 posts, read 5,798,823 times
You can apply for a deer/elk combo tag, a deer combo tag, or an elk combo tag.
Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks :: Hunting Licenses & Permits with Costs

The general tags aren't for specific areas, they cover the state except for closed areas, special districts and Indian Reservations.
Special districts you have to draw in addition to your non-resident tag. Residents have to draw for them too.

Elk numbers in various districts are good, with some way above management objectives. The problem isn't the numbers, it's access.
Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks :: Montana Statewide Elk Management

You can get a good buck deer just about anywhere in the state. There are some real eye-popper Mulie's in the Eastern plains, and some real bruiser Whitetails as well. Some of the best areas have been leased and closed such as along the Milk River.

You can get good quality deer just about anywhere if you can get access to hunt. There is a lot of state land, federal land and block management that gives pretty good access, it just may not be where you want to hunt.
If I were you, I'd decide what I want to concentrate on and the amount of time you can budget. Once you have that figured out, use the interactive "Plan a Hunt" maps on the FWP website. They're pretty good.
Then, get out the maps to see what public land is in that area, and get the block management book to see what is available.

If you can find an area you would like to hunt, that has the animals you want to pursue, and it has access, then if you can invest some time and sweat, you'll stand a good chance of taking your animal.

Where there are the highest density of animals is usually in areas where the access is closed off.
Highway south of Four Corners listed as 2nd riskiest for wildlife crashes | Environment | bozemandailychronicle.com

We have some unique traffic issues here. I've often said that the best way to hunt some areas is to tie a couple logs across the front of your truck, and just drive around at sunrise/sunset. You stand a good chance of getting something that way, maybe better than with a rifle.

Old 11-09-2016, 06:33 PM

i have been checking with some guide services some want 5.000 and up plus some want a trophy fee .i am not looking to ride a horse and not looking to pay extra if i get a trophy[any bull is a trophy] that should be included.some of the guides said that not to worry about getting a permit because they have left over permits every year.

Old 11-10-2016, 02:04 PM

i am open to check out any place east or west of the Rocky's that offers elk and deer combo that there isn't a problem getting a license.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana