Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2016, 05:57 PM

4 posts, read 5,090 times

Advertisements

I'm saving money for a move in the early part of next year. I expect to be ready to go on the 1st of March. Kalispell seems like an excellent fit for me so far, but I'd like to be sure I can find employment, at least part time while I get situated. I will have about 10k in savings and a vehicle, with modest living expenses, but I'd rather keep my savings as savings (as much as possible).

I assume that rent prices and housing availability are going to be lowest before/during the winter season and climb steadily going in to summer. Correct me if I'm wrong.

What about work opportunities? I have been on craigslist for Kalispell every day and I see a lot of job openings I feel well qualified for that would be sufficient for my desired lifestyle. (Office administration, clerical, customer service, hospitality, general/skilled labor, or any other entry level work that requires communication and intelligence). Should I expect to see more or fewer openings around February, when I'll be looking to apply?

I am particularly interested in a position at a hotel or resort where I'll have an opportunity to meet lots of peers. Any advice there? In my experience, March/April have tended to be excellent times to apply as the properties gear up for summer.

Lastly, any advice for someone applying from out of state? I know it's very difficult to land an hourly job before relocating so I'd be happy to hear from anyone that has an experience like that.

Thanks very much for your time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2016, 06:18 PM

629 posts, read 1,720,470 times
The Flathead Valley was definitely short of workers in the service industry this past summer and the second article says there were still over 800 job postings as of just over a week ago.
Job Openings at All-Time High in Flathead County - Flathead Beacon
Flathead County

Those articles mention a few other places you might contact, Flathead Job Service is one of them.

Even if you can't get something lined up job-wise before then I wouldn't be too worried about coming out and then finding a job after you're here with the savings you have. If you're out by March/April you should be able to go around to the hotels and resorts and speak with a manager since things are so much slower then.

One thing I'd recommend to keep costs down until you get settled is to simply rent a room from someone rather than signing a longer-lease for an apartment. You sound like a younger person and lots of young people in the valley rent out rooms in their house in order to make the payments. Check the Kalispell Craigslist rooms / shared section. With things like Facebook nowadays you can get a pretty good feel for what the person is like so you don't end up moving in with a crazy person. Also makes for a great way to instantly get connected in with some people your age.

Old 11-01-2016, 07:24 PM

4 posts, read 5,090 times
Wow! Thank you for the immediate and very informative reply. You are correct, I'm younger and flexible in lifestyle so shared housing will work well for me initially. Every day I just check the jobs and rooms section and day dream. It helps me save money too. And those articles certainly boost my confidence that I'll be able to make a smooth transition (though the comments are very pessimistic, particularly regarding the housing/wage ratios).

Thanks again!

Old 11-01-2016, 09:28 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,922,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vista88 View Post
I'm saving money for a move in the early part of next year. I expect to be ready to go on the 1st of March. Kalispell seems like an excellent fit for me so far, but I'd like to be sure I can find employment, at least part time while I get situated. I will have about 10k in savings and a vehicle, with modest living expenses, but I'd rather keep my savings as savings (as much as possible).

I assume that rent prices and housing availability are going to be lowest before/during the winter season and climb steadily going in to summer. Correct me if I'm wrong.

What about work opportunities? I have been on craigslist for Kalispell every day and I see a lot of job openings I feel well qualified for that would be sufficient for my desired lifestyle. (Office administration, clerical, customer service, hospitality, general/skilled labor, or any other entry level work that requires communication and intelligence). Should I expect to see more or fewer openings around February, when I'll be looking to apply?

I am particularly interested in a position at a hotel or resort where I'll have an opportunity to meet lots of peers. Any advice there? In my experience, March/April have tended to be excellent times to apply as the properties gear up for summer.

Lastly, any advice for someone applying from out of state? I know it's very difficult to land an hourly job before relocating so I'd be happy to hear from anyone that has an experience like that.

Thanks very much for your time!
I'm not sure the hiring schedule for resort areas but I wouldn't relocate without a full time job that is going to pay the bills. The cost of living in Kalispell is high. You might go through that $10k savings quicker than you think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
View detailed profiles of: