U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2016, 01:48 PM

3,992 posts, read 4,094,636 times

Advertisements

Well?

Trying to narrow more between NW MT & NID. Both have pros/cons. Can anyone say? I have heard remoteness of Bonner's causes issues, yet Shelby is alos near a set of issues as well. Thx for your input. PM me if need be to elaborate if you feel OPSEC is best that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2016, 05:50 PM

4,641 posts, read 3,964,996 times
Bonners Ferry is much more picturesque than Shelby. Much.

Old 11-02-2016, 06:48 PM

3,992 posts, read 4,094,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by historyfan View Post
Bonners Ferry is much more picturesque than Shelby. Much.
Very true but you pay for it via cost of liv.

Also, since Bonner's more remote = less services & thus it will be higher prices for those goods/services, no? But yet I still like Bonners & the ID gun laws, poiitics & such in Boundary county. Although same can be said for MT as in Shelby, w/ closer access to services it is good too, I guess. I think Cut Bank is a bit less desireable though as crime tends higher.

Ok, back to sq. 1.

Old 11-03-2016, 12:03 PM

3,795 posts, read 3,987,784 times
Shelby is less poor, with less crime and cheaper homes. If you like Shelby, try it. If you need lots of trees immediately around you and access to bigger cities than Great Falls, go Bonners Ferry.

Last edited by NW Crow; 11-03-2016 at 12:11 PM..

Old 11-03-2016, 05:18 PM

347 posts, read 334,391 times
We were just recently discussing hi-line towns, and Shelby came up. It all depends on where you are and what you want in life. As a young, single guy who values the opportunity to meet new people, a somewhat decent social life, and not having to drive an hour and a half for decent amenities and shopping (target, famous Dave's etc.), realized that if I stayed on the hi-line for the long term, I was going to end up in an insane asylum. But that's me. If you're a family man, Shelby may be the place for you.

That being said, I passed through Bonners Ferry once, and thought it was a beautiful place. It's also only 30 miles from Sandpoint, Idaho, which has what I consider good amenities....whereas Shelby is 80 miles from Great Falls, which will take you about an hour.....and that's in good weather.

I love Montana.....but if I had to choose between Bonners Ferry and Shelby, I'd go with Bonners Ferry. By the way, I think one could make a reasonable argument that Shelby is more remote than Bonners Ferry. Have you ever spent any time on the Hi-line?

Old 11-04-2016, 05:59 AM

7,662 posts, read 8,952,951 times
If I had to live in either one I'd take Shelby. Idaho's conservatism is too extreme for me. I don't know how Bonner's Ferry compares to the rest of the state, but as a whole the state seems too extreme for my liking. That being said, I'm with Antonio and also like more amenities so Shelby wouldn't be my first choice either.

Old 11-04-2016, 07:10 AM

4,883 posts, read 5,764,575 times
Shelby's a nice little town. Either that or Conrad which is a little closer to Great Falls for eaisier shopping.
Bonners Ferry is in a prettier place for trees and green, easier to raise a garden, but they do have a sales tax.
In that area, I'd probably go with Troy on the Montana side. only a few miles from Bonners Ferry, but a great little small town on the Flathead River.

You could be happy in any of those places if you're looking for hard working traditional people with traditional values, and looking to be insulated from the rat race that is modern life in larger places.

Old 11-04-2016, 09:44 AM

2,725 posts, read 5,122,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
If I had to live in either one I'd take Shelby. Idaho's conservatism is too extreme for me. I don't know how Bonner's Ferry compares to the rest of the state, but as a whole the state seems too extreme for my liking. That being said, I'm with Antonio and also like more amenities so Shelby wouldn't be my first choice either.
You live in North Dakota and you are complaining about conservatism?

Old 11-04-2016, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syringaloid View Post
You live in North Dakota and you are complaining about conservatism?
Not complaining about conservatism at all. Idaho strikes me as extreme. And extremism is bad on both sides.

Old 11-04-2016, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
Shelby's a nice little town. Either that or Conrad which is a little closer to Great Falls for eaisier shopping.
Bonners Ferry is in a prettier place for trees and green, easier to raise a garden, but they do have a sales tax.
In that area, I'd probably go with Troy on the Montana side. only a few miles from Bonners Ferry, but a great little small town on the Flathead River.

You could be happy in any of those places if you're looking for hard working traditional people with traditional values, and looking to be insulated from the rat race that is modern life in larger places.
Lots of good people in Conrad. I knew quite a few from there when I was in college.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana