U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2006, 09:38 AM
MHT

434 posts, read 2,070,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDahl View Post
Growing up in Great Falls, I can tell you the negative side too...

Don't forget that Great Falls is also the home to the state prision. On it is a sign that reads "Meth Hotel" it is hung right below the outdoor excercise area and is fairly large. Great Falls, in my opinion, has a lot higher crime rate and definately more drugs and meth labs than say, southwest montana. Although SW Montana is catching up... It also has that "dirty-city" feel to it everytime I take a trip over there. Maybe it is just that most of the town is still stuck in the 60's-80's era. It is not a town that is bustling either. Lots of hilly, barren land, nothing to do, so why not sell drugs? Anyway, enjoy whatever beauty you may find in Great Falls.

The reason for the Homeland Security deal is that the Highline has most of the Missle Silos in the state, a prime target for you know who.

On a side note some reccomendations are:
For a good taco, go to the Taco Treat or the El Commodore. The treat has the best 'greasy' Tacos and Enchiladas around. The El Commodore has "Fluffy Tacos" which are the best 'traditional' tacos around.

Gibson Park is an enjoyable place in the summer as well, given that an unpredictable thunderstorm or two doesn't roll through.

Anyways, traffic moves fast, not very often will a person hit a red light going down 10th Ave all the way accross town.

Great Falls is pretty much only good for those in the military, the base has all of the services anyone might need.

Have fun in your new home...
Great Falls is good for anyone - not just military. Also, it's a county jail - not the state prison. The state prison is in Deer Lodge. The "Meth Hotel" sign was made by kids - to show what happens and where you end up on meth. I'm sorry you are so negative about such a great town. Wages are decent, cost of living is also. I'm also not sure why you think it's a "dirty" town. You must not travel a whole lot and see other places. As far as nothing to do there - WOW - there's lots to do there. The topography is great - everything from mountains to prairies to rivers are right there. No to mention the activities between the parks, college, fairgrounds. We're from Fairfield and plan to get back there someday. We have been transferred several times with my husband's job and nowhere has been a nice as where we're from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2006, 07:50 PM

25 posts, read 95,850 times
Was checking out the link for mt.gov and all the different river trips and activities and was very pleased to see all the hunting outfitters as well. I don't think I'll have much choice but to go with an outfitting service untill I get to know who owns what area of land and getting permission to hunt there. Back where I grew up in NY as long as you asked permission and did as the landowner asked you would generaly get to hunt thier land. How is it in Montana for that?

oh yeah, what would be the average water temp in the river's and streams in the summer time?

Old 12-12-2006, 08:39 PM

529 posts, read 1,731,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by avman1 View Post
Was checking out the link for mt.gov and all the different river trips and activities and was very pleased to see all the hunting outfitters as well. I don't think I'll have much choice but to go with an outfitting service untill I get to know who owns what area of land and getting permission to hunt there. Back where I grew up in NY as long as you asked permission and did as the landowner asked you would generaly get to hunt thier land. How is it in Montana for that?

oh yeah, what would be the average water temp in the river's and streams in the summer time?
An irony of sorts exists here.

Those who move here from out of state will 98% of the time, never allow anyone but themselves to hunt their land..... their right I suppose.

But, natives will generally say yes on most occasions...... the fact that you ask, is warrant enough for the "yes" answer in most cases.
Take a native with you when you hunt, or otherwise jump at the chance to go hunting with a Montana native...... we usually know all of the very best places, and also know many of the large ranchers and other land owners, and permission comes easily for us....... and, it's much less expensive than hiring out an outfitter.

Outfitters in Montana usually cater to out of state hunters anyway and their prices are about as high as the sky is big, in Montana.

Don't worry..... when you come here, one of the first questions you will be asked is... "Do you hunt??"...... trust me..... if your answer is yes.... then you'll be in for the best (Montana) hunting experience of your life.

Water temps in Montana are, cool, cooler and cold.... and not necessarilly in that order...

Last edited by GiftShoppeGuy; 12-12-2006 at 08:44 PM.. Reason: edited; for content

Old 12-13-2006, 07:49 AM

As long as we are on the topic of hunting, most of the distances I was shooting in NY were 100-200 yards. Now I know that MT has a lot more open area than the fields and vineyards where I grew up, and I am interested to know what rifle calibres are preferred. I have a couple of .308 varients and a real good .223 but they might not stand up to the distance or have the power to drop a large animal. Just curious as to what the locals prefer.

Old 12-16-2006, 07:22 PM

Okay, another question then. What would be the best route for me to take to get to Great Falls from NY, 90 or 94? I'll be driving either or in early January.

Old 12-27-2006, 05:39 AM

Well, I'm back in the good ole U.S. of A. Had a great christmas with my family and just picked up a new F-150 XLT so I'm almost ready to come out to MT. I just need a little route advice yet.......

Old 12-30-2006, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avman1 View Post
Well, I'm back in the good ole U.S. of A. Had a great christmas with my family and just picked up a new F-150 XLT so I'm almost ready to come out to MT. I just need a little route advice yet.......
Route advice??...

Well pointing that new truck of yours west would be a great start.. heh heh.

Then, when you get out here, you might consider trading off the Ford for a new Chev Silverado.. heh heh... 4X4 extended cab of course.

Stay on the interstate and you should be just fine..... drive safe and just take your time.

Oh, and while I'm off into the subject of trading things in, the Air National Guard just traded up to some new F-16's here in Great Falls.......

Old 01-01-2007, 07:37 PM
MHT

434 posts, read 2,070,903 times
Default truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiftShoppeGuy View Post
Route advice??...

Well pointing that new truck of yours west would be a great start.. heh heh.

Then, when you get out here, you might consider trading off the Ford for a new Chev Silverado.. heh heh... 4X4 extended cab of course.

Stay on the interstate and you should be just fine..... drive safe and just take your time.

Oh, and while I'm off into the subject of trading things in, the Air National Guard just traded up to some new F-16's here in Great Falls.......

I agree - although a Chevy Silverado, crew-cab, duramax diesel is the way to go! 3/4 ton, 4 wheel drive of course.

Good luck avman1! Keep us posted.

Old 01-01-2007, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHT View Post
I agree - although a Chevy Silverado, crew-cab, duramax diesel is the way to go! 3/4 ton, 4 wheel drive of course.

Good luck avman1! Keep us posted.
Naturally....heh heh..

Old 01-02-2007, 03:35 AM

So now you are going to pick on my new baby

Spent new years with family in Maine and the last couple of days the weather was pretty bad so I considered it good practice for MT. My truck did just fine. Quite a change from Kuwait I'll tell you that.

F-16's hunh... easier to work on then F/A-18s at least the 16s are still a mostly metal bird. Do you happen to know what block number they are?

I'm looking forward to the trip, next friday as a matter of fact. Need to find a hotel room for a week or so but I can do that online, then it's a matter of finding a good rental home and waiting for my household goods to come in from Kuwait (up to 3 months). Then the wife and son will join me.

Thanks for the info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or