Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 09:04 PM

529 posts, read 1,888,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by avman1 View Post
Out of curiosity, what is the morning drive to say, the airport like on an average work week morning?

And how often is the airfield closed due to weather?
7:30-8:30am on 10th ave south, 35mph average speed, crossing the river (1oth ave south 50mph, from exit 0 onto I-15 65-75mph, top of hill exit to airport and 35mph from there 1 mile to airport.

Great Falls International Airport is just a weeee bit more than just an "airfield".

Military:

Great Falls is home to Malmstrom Air Force Base and the 341st Space Wing. The 341st Operations Group provides the forces to launch, monitor and secure the wing's Intercontinental Ballistic Missiles (ICBM) and missile alert facilities (MAF).

These ICBMs and MAFs are dispersed over the largest missile complex in the Western Hemisphere, an area encompassing some 23,000 square miles (approximately the size of the state of West Virginia).

The group manages a variety of equipment, facilities, and vehicles worth more than $5 billion.

Great Falls International Airport:

Is home to the Montana Air National Guard's 120th Fighter Wing. The 120th is composed of F-16C/D fighter aircraft and associated support personnel.

Great Falls is also home to the 889th Army Reserve Unit.

Fed-Ex:

We are the northern tier hub for Fed-Ex

Homeland Security:

We just got our new Department of Homeland Security Base (1 of only 5 in the nation)

Medical:

We also have the new Sletten Cancer Institute, featuring 2 Linear Accelerators.... (only about 200 of these exist in the nation)

A bit of history about Great Falls:

Founded in 1883 by Paris Gibson and railroad magnate James J. Hill, Great Falls began as a planned power city, situated to take advantage of the hydroelectric power of the waterfalls of the Missouri River. Historian William J. Furdell described it as "a businessman's town" and it was said that the city "couldn't point to a boot hill or a hangin' tree."

In 1884, the Great Falls post office was recognized by The United States Postal Service. In 1889, construction on the Black Eagle Dam began, which would provide the city with hydroelectric power by the following year.

Great Falls quickly became a thriving industrial center and, by the early 1900s, was on route to become Montana's fastest growing community. The rustic studio of famed Western artist Charles Marion Russell was a popular attraction, as were the famed "great falls," after which the city was named.

It prospered further with the opening of a nearby military base, but as rail transportation and freight slowed in the later part of the century, its population dwindled. It once had over 60,000 people, but as of 2000 had about 56,000.

We are about the size of Ogden Utah.

Wages:

Our wages are the highest in the state, skilled crafts like brick layers, framers, concrete finishers, and so forth, often are presented with a "starting" wage of 17-18 dollars per hour.

Top industries:

Construction (all trades)
Oil
Aviation
Investment Firms
Medical
Technical (internet)

Great Falls is known as the Electric City.

We have it all.....

Rocky Mountains to the west and south.. plateau's, prairies... just about any kind of topography you could name (not rain forests though)... and they are all just literal minutes away.

Oh...... I moved here from Missoula in 1991, and to my knowledge..... they have never closed the airport here.

Last edited by GiftShoppeGuy; 12-05-2006 at 09:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2006, 02:03 PM

25 posts, read 103,729 times
that's good considering I'm thinking of enlisting in the air national guard when i get there. me being ex-Navy they will hate me for being more hard charging than they are. oh and better trained as well.

Old 12-09-2006, 12:55 AM

11 posts, read 41,955 times
Growing up in Great Falls, I can tell you the negative side too...

Don't forget that Great Falls is also the home to the state prision. On it is a sign that reads "Meth Hotel" it is hung right below the outdoor excercise area and is fairly large. Great Falls, in my opinion, has a lot higher crime rate and definately more drugs and meth labs than say, southwest montana. Although SW Montana is catching up... It also has that "dirty-city" feel to it everytime I take a trip over there. Maybe it is just that most of the town is still stuck in the 60's-80's era. It is not a town that is bustling either. Lots of hilly, barren land, nothing to do, so why not sell drugs? Anyway, enjoy whatever beauty you may find in Great Falls.

The reason for the Homeland Security deal is that the Highline has most of the Missle Silos in the state, a prime target for you know who.

On a side note some reccomendations are:
For a good taco, go to the Taco Treat or the El Commodore. The treat has the best 'greasy' Tacos and Enchiladas around. The El Commodore has "Fluffy Tacos" which are the best 'traditional' tacos around.

Gibson Park is an enjoyable place in the summer as well, given that an unpredictable thunderstorm or two doesn't roll through.

Anyways, traffic moves fast, not very often will a person hit a red light going down 10th Ave all the way accross town.

Great Falls is pretty much only good for those in the military, the base has all of the services anyone might need.

Have fun in your new home...

Old 12-09-2006, 10:50 AM

>>> Don't forget that Great Falls is also the home to the state prision. <<<

No, that's the county jail you are talking about......
(The state prison is located in Deer Lodge)

And yes...... We won't waste any time locking you up if you think you are above the law, and we'll tell everybody in the land that we gotcha'....... even if it means putting a big sign on the side of the jail.

Great Falls is usually pretty boring for those who aren't interested in having any kind of a life.....

That sign was made by our school kids...

Those who come to Great Falls thinking to make a buck or two selling drugs to our kids, have got another thing coming, and it is usually our kids that can claim the most success for putting drug dealers right where they belong...... into the meth hotel.

Last edited by GiftShoppeGuy; 12-09-2006 at 11:02 AM..

Old 12-09-2006, 05:10 PM

Thanks for the information, I do appreciate it. but Great Falls compared to Kuwait?.......I think I'll take Great Falls any day. Kuwait is not much more than a 3rd world country with some 1st world conveniences and a cultural identity crisis. 10 years ago they loved Americans, now we are just someone to provide them with free income, and a scapegoat for their own failings. The stories I could tell.

Old 12-10-2006, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDahl View Post

Gibson Park is an enjoyable place in the summer as well, given that an unpredictable thunderstorm or two doesn't roll through.

Speaking of unpredictable storms... Is that area(around Great Falls) prone to any severe summer or spring weather like tornados and such?

Old 12-10-2006, 11:38 PM

11 posts, read 41,955 times
Severe Thunderstorms can occur quite often in Great Falls, although I may not now what severe weather is. I can remember the countless times when the street in front of our house next to Central Ave would get flooded and cars would get stuck. (Probably fixed by now) But there haven't been any tornadoes, there is a good possibility for them, I think a few have almost touched down in that area though a few years ago... Correct me if I am wrong...

And by the way about the Jail, I was just testing your knowledge.

Old 12-11-2006, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Speaking of unpredictable storms... Is that area(around Great Falls) prone to any severe summer or spring weather like tornados and such?
We had a tornado out by the airport about 3 years ago. They are very rare here, but they do happen.
We have more micro-bursts here than tornados.
(mostly out east in the Judith Basin area)

Severe weather?, well, every fall we get the wind..... 70 to 100 mph on the Rocky Mountain Front Range at at least one point every year in the fall.
Spring brings with it, any number of thunderstorms.... some of them are quite spectacular, but don't quite stack up to the ones in Texas. (my wife is from Midland)......

Now everybody's interpretation of what might be considered severe is going to be different, like for instance..... you get a 100mph wind in Florida, they call it a hurricane and it's all over the nightly news..... you get a 100mph wind in Montana, they call it "wind" and no one really gives it a second thought. I guess we just don't get all excited over a little wind. Just like we don't get all excited over a little cool weather.

I don't mind the wind...... If it gets too strong, I just put on a tighter fitting Stetson, that's all..... and go about my business.

Old 12-11-2006, 07:27 PM

As long as that wind isn't blowing dust and sand, I don't mind either.

What areas are considered good neighborhoods in Great Falls?. So when I start house hunting I have a better idea of what areas to look in.

Old 12-11-2006, 09:52 PM

Quote:
As long as that wind isn't blowing dust and sand, I don't mind either.

What areas are considered good neighborhoods in Great Falls?. So when I start house hunting I have a better idea of what areas to look in.
21st ST NE all the way to the top of the hill and over to Riverview area and 6th ST NW (across the north/northwest hills in Great Falls.)
And Fox Farm, or Bellevue Heights areas (west/southwest end)

Really, your best bet for housing rental/lease would be just about anywhere on the west side of the Missouri River. With the exception of Black Eagle (old houses).

You might get lucky and find something good from 38th all the way out to 52nd on the east end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana