U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2008, 09:33 AM

149 posts, read 579,246 times

Advertisements

I moved my 2 cats here to Hamilton in June. My husband and others said: "they'll be part of the food chain". Granted, that was a possibility, but having noone to take them into their home, and having had them in my family for 4 years each (both adopted as adults), I elected to bring my inside/outside babies with me. They are inside at night. The 16 hour drive here was NOT fun (the tranx were slow to act the first day) and I was ready to gladly feed them to the critters along the way myself.
I would do it again in a heartbeat.......I am not a dog person, and my tomcat is a great mouser. I do believe he will give the local fox wide berth.
Nothing more realxing than a purring cat on your lap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2008, 10:45 PM

352 posts, read 1,005,198 times
We've got about all the predator animals around here, and have yet to lose any cats to them. The road out front is a different story - @#$%* people ran over three of them in short order several years ago. Must've taught the remainder a hard lesson, though, as we have not had any causalities for some time now. Biggest thing I can see getting ours is owls - we have some big ones around here.

I have not had any that couldn't take the cold; I've got a pretty good setup down in the shop for the all-the-time outside ones and the indoor/outdoor unit has her little spot in the garage on an old cat bed with a big sheepskin cover wrapped around it. Cold mornings, you couldn't pry her out of there for anything, even an open door down to the basement wood stove.

Gotta have a cat or two around here; pasture and gully above my place is alive with mice - hawks and eagles can only do so much.

Old 09-20-2008, 01:58 AM

7,540 posts, read 12,581,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerider View Post
I have not had any that couldn't take the cold; I've got a pretty good setup down in the shop for the all-the-time outside ones and the indoor/outdoor unit has her little spot in the garage on an old cat bed with a big sheepskin cover wrapped around it. Cold mornings, you couldn't pry her out of there for anything, even an open door down to the basement wood stove.
Heh... I had one cat who would have been IN the stove if he'd figured out how. He didn't mind cold, but he LOVED heat. He'd sit on top of the woodstove until it got hot enough to blister his feet. He'd snuggle right up to the space heater when it was so hot his fur got crispy, and then the house smelled like scorched cat. (Had to block it off so he didn't set himself on fire!) Bloody wonder he lived to be 18, cuz he sure tried hard to be cooked and eaten!

Old 01-01-2009, 11:46 PM

24 posts, read 53,943 times
The cats' greatest predators are owls and coyotes, both will come into suburban areas and snatch a cat. Mtn lions aren't as bold, but are a threat in the urban/wildland interface. If you have a fenced yard, put up a pet hotwire (not a horse one) so your cats will stay in and the coyotes out. Works great, add a catdoor so they can get into the house from the cold. In urban areas, the automobile is your cat's greatest enemy, unless you have coyotes in the area (very possible). Keep them inside or in a fenced yard they can't get out of. Coyotes can't get over a 7 foot fence. Watching a cat die by coyote is a horrible experience, according to a friend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana