U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 10:13 PM

1,305 posts, read 2,152,336 times

Advertisements

I've decided Seattle weather is just as crummy as Whitefish weather! OK, I knew that before I moved here (I was born and raised in Whitefish but have relocated after college to Seattle), but am surprised at how gray it is here and how long our winters are. We are just getting ready to emerge from our winter hibernation and maybe see a little sunlight again, but the nice clear days won't show up until about the 5th of July or so.

It's the same winds blow from Seattle over east and Whitefish backs up against a large mountain range, just like Seattle, so it makes sense that the weather is so different...but these gray days get so tiresome after a while!

I much prefer Bozeman weather to Whitefish, but it's a lot greener and prettier (in my opinion) where it rains. The jobs are in Seattle so it's what I have for now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2008, 12:32 AM

1,154 posts, read 3,955,167 times
Bozeman does clear out well, yeah. It rains/snows a lot, but you rarely get clouds hanging over town for extended periods of time.

Old 03-04-2008, 05:19 AM

22,952 posts, read 22,459,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgmagone View Post
I've decided Seattle weather is just as crummy as Whitefish weather! OK, I knew that before I moved here (I was born and raised in Whitefish but have relocated after college to Seattle), but am surprised at how gray it is here and how long our winters are. We are just getting ready to emerge from our winter hibernation and maybe see a little sunlight again, but the nice clear days won't show up until about the 5th of July or so.

It's the same winds blow from Seattle over east and Whitefish backs up against a large mountain range, just like Seattle, so it makes sense that the weather is so different...but these gray days get so tiresome after a while!

I much prefer Bozeman weather to Whitefish, but it's a lot greener and prettier (in my opinion) where it rains. The jobs are in Seattle so it's what I have for now.
July 5th if your lucky! We had family that lived north of Seattle and went there for many 4th of July parties only to have to use road flares to light fireworks because of rain and cold.

Old 03-20-2008, 09:05 PM

51 posts, read 211,741 times
yes i live in the seattle area. been here 26 years now and i still miss the clear blue montana sky!! hopefully i can retire there. well, maybe New Mexico. do they have dreary gray days? i hope not!!

Old 03-21-2008, 10:15 AM

61 posts, read 300,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgmagone View Post

Kalispell being almost 20 miles south, does it have the same type of overcast? I am living in the Olympic Penisula between Sequim and Port Angeles where we get the different weather currents compared to other areas of Western WA. (Due to the Olympic Mountains). I like the fact that the summer temps are warmer there in Kalispell, but not roasting like in the Boise area. Winter temps are about the same as Boise there, but sounds like it is has less sunny days. I am hoping to be going there next weekend to check out the area. I might just have to take a drive down to Bozeman to see what that area looks like. I am just thankful that I have options right now so we can move out of this area. Love it here, but just has made my husbands health go south. Need to get out of the moisture and back to drier ground.

Old 03-21-2008, 10:26 AM

Kalispell is about the same gray as Whitefish. They get a little less snow than Whitefish and perhaps a little less gray but in general all of the Flathead (north of Flathead Lake) is gray and dreary in the winters.

Bozeman is much nicer as far as sun! Part of most every day has a little sun. The clouds are much higher than in the Flathead and the climate is much drier. It's night and day difference from the Flathead. The temperatuers are quite a bit colder which helps keep the moisture content down.

There's lots of microclimates and it's hard to compare one to another online though. I think it's most important to visit and vacation a few times to figure out where you like it the best.

Old 03-21-2008, 10:52 AM

61 posts, read 300,635 times
With the gray skies, does it rain alot there in Kalispell or is it just the overcast? (other than winter months when it snows).

The housing prices in Bozeman are alot higher than in Kalispell. Sounds like the traffic is alot like the little town of Meridian, ID where I grew up. Grrrrr, guess one weekend probably won't be the best option for checking the areas out.

Almost sounds like if we really like the area, (Kalispell) we have to decide if we want to continue living in the gloomier days without the rain. Guess that would be an excuse to buy a snowmobile. Summers would be fine, fishing and riding quads. Fall we would have the hunting. We can do all of this with gray skies.

Old 03-21-2008, 12:24 PM

Falls are typically beautiful into early October. (Nice weather starts just after 4th of July weekend.) You'll enjoy hunting in the fall. You can go snowmobiling in the Flathead although I think it's better in Bozeman. Be careful of avalanche danger, we usually lose a couple each year.

It doesn't rain much in the winter in Kalispell (it snows, doesn't rain) but it does rain/drizzle/etc for much of March, April, and about half of May. June is usually mostly rain. July - early October is nice. Mid-October - mid-December is gray but you don't see much because it's dark all the time. January - mid March is snowy.

Housing prices are more expensive in Bozeman because there are more and better paying jobs in Bozeman than Kalispell. If you're still in the workforce you'll make more money there.

But check them both out and see - you won't move around much once you're there so it's best to visit and make the right decision the first time.

Old 03-21-2008, 12:40 PM

1,154 posts, read 3,955,167 times
Bozeman actually gets a nice bit of rain and snow... more than Kalispell. The difference is that, once the precip ends, the sun comes out in Bozeman. It doesn't as much, in Kalispell.

Areas like Belgrade, Manhattan, Three Forks, Livingston, etc, are drier than either place, however. But in Bozeman, you'll have to shovel a lot.

Old 03-22-2008, 07:20 AM

22,952 posts, read 22,459,897 times
I'd describe the Kalispell seasons kind of like this, summer season,fall season,WINTER season and mud season. Summers are what have made me stay here. Just long enough to make you forget the gray winter. Fall is a short transition to winter with cold crisp days, some wind and rain/sleet/cold. Then one morning comes winter and trust me the seasons tend to change in one day, darndest thing I've ever seen. It has been 90 degrees one day and when you wake up the next there's snow on the ground! You can actually say something like "well, summer ended on last tuesday" because it is that noticable. Winter can be filled with weeks of little sun due to invertions but generally just as you're about to lose it from lack of sun you'll get a couple of spectacularly sunny days where it seems like you can reach out and touch the mountains. Then comes mud season where everything melts and it rains or drizzles and makes a mess of things. That lasts for a couple of months then the cycle starts all over again. Most people I know live for the summers here, I'm starting to get my float pontoon ready, clean the fishing gear, get the summer wear organized etc so right about the begining of June I'll be ready to roll!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana