U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2017, 05:41 PM

26 posts, read 24,442 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC1967 View Post
South Western Montana is a vast region, what specific area(s) are you referring to? The housing market in places like Anaconda, Butte, Dillon, Deer Lodge is very affordable, particularly when compared to areas like Missoula and Bozeman.

But there are not many nice options. I mean most of the housing looks like it's been
through horrid weather. Which I guess it has but the houses are Beat down!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2017, 05:44 PM

Quote:
If you're only working for the summer why are you concerned about housing prices, would not a month to month rental be more appropriate?

I always look at housing prices when I'm somewhere new.
But as I walk around Anaconda, I see nothing I could live in?
Roofs are tattered, and the houses are so small with no gardens?

I've looked on Zillow and they seem very high for what you get?
I'm just curious?

Old 06-15-2017, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
I have found that many people who complain about high home prices seem to have a "Champagne taste" on a "beer budget".
First, decide the maximum price you can afford. Then, when you go house hunting, ignore anything that is above that price level. Also, avoid "gated communities" and other upscale areas.
There is affordable housing out there, even for lower middle class wage earners. Talk to your lender of choice first, then find a Realtor to assist you in your search.
Good luck.

No noooo you don't follow me. I'm not looking to buy. And I make a decent wage. I live in a brand new house
in NC that cost me $180,000. New.
I see no new housing here in Anaconda?

Old 06-15-2017, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
It's all relative. The OP lives in NC, and obviously home prices are lower there than in the West, overall. Try working in SoCal over the summer and research the housing market....

No thanks. For a variety of reasons I would never live in CA.
Yes housing in NC is nicer : )

Old 06-15-2017, 05:51 PM

Quote:
South Western Montana is a vast region, what specific area(s) are you referring to? The housing market in places like Anaconda, Butte, Dillon, Deer Lodge is very affordable, particularly when compared to areas like Missoula and Bozeman.

Affordable if you buy something old and in need of a rehab yes...but usually when I've looked it didn't seem to matter that the house needed a good makeover...it was high for what you got?

Old 06-15-2017, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brb going fishing View Post
Because of the scenery. Turns out people are willing to give up tons of creature comforts (including access to jobs, etc) in order to live among these mountains. I see more scenery each time I walk out my front door to take out the trash than an average easterner will see in his lifetime.

Ok. Yeah I've been here a month..but haven't seen any wildlife. Of course I'm not stupid. I'm not wandering in the woods lol.

Old 06-15-2017, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvarcher View Post
HA HA I love that comment by BRB going fishing " I see more scenery taking out the trash than the average easterner sees in a lifetime". Im a new yorker but i agree and can relate to it. All I see is more homes streetlights ,cars, streets and sidewalks and yeah some trees and bushes and stuff . Perhaps a squirrel or a few birds.Im afraid though it seems the rest of america wants "civilization" to cultivate all over this land. Places for wildlife take second seat to more and more people we let in from the rest of the world all because we keep saying we are a nation of immigrants and welcome all. And I say --big f..n deal,where do you draw the line! Why do we want the rest of the world here!!!! OK, i feel better now.
Let In? People can move where they wish yes? Yeah I think you'd find most people would want some creature comforts like stores and good internet too. Oh and milder winters lol. They look mean!

Old 06-15-2017, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsvibe View Post
Most people look at the new construction first, then to the older homes. Why don't you start looking at the older homes first? I guess it is human nature. In the Helena valley, new homes start at 285k and go way north of there. So if you were only looking at new homes, you might have the opinion that home prices are out of control. However, there are many homes in the 150k price range on the market right now, they are just older homes that may need some updating.

Right now in Anaconda, there are 39 homes, 3 bed and up, that are priced below 200k. That is plenty of entry level inventory for a town that size.

Yes but require a good deal of remodeling?

I was wondering what a new house would cost here in Anaconda. But I don't see any.

Old 06-15-2017, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by historyfan View Post
Until about 20 years ago the grass/trees would not grow in Anaconda lawns due to the arsenic etc. that came out of the smelter stack. I wouldn't touch a property within sight of that old stack.

Really? I'll have to read up on the history here thanks! Yeah I've seen something about a Superfund Site?

Old 06-16-2017, 08:33 AM

823 posts, read 577,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jodyangel View Post
Yes but require a good deal of remodeling?

I was wondering what a new house would cost here in Anaconda. But I don't see any.

That's because you don't really know the culture of Montana. Here, people don't just sell there home and buy a new one, like in many states. Here, most people will live in the same home their entire life. It only changes hands when they move into retirement home, or pass away. So the homes you see that are "run down", are just in the original condition from the previous owner. In Montana, young families starting out purchase these homes, and remodel them to their preference.

The home my family just purchased was built in 1984. It was in the original condition until last year, when the owner retired and moved south. Her kids inherited the home, replaced the roof, remodeled both bathrooms, replaced all of the appliances, replaced all of the windows. We paid 203k for it, on 6/10th's of an acre, fully fenced, with a 2 car garage, and 2 storage sheds.

We priced a similar, 1,800 square foot new construction, with a similar yard, and it was 330k.

It isn't hard to improve a home, especially since anything you could want to do, has a video on youtube on how to do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana