Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2008, 11:08 PM

6 posts, read 41,627 times

Advertisements

Hey Everyone,
My family and I are looking to move to either Bozeman or Missoula and are looking for information on jobs out there and real estate sights. I know the houses for the most part are super expensive in those areas, does anyone know of a realtor(s) I can conmtact to find cheaper homes but nice ones.
Also I'm looking for a job in a business, sales, automotive background if anyone knows if anyone is hiring or a website I could go to thanks. I'm getting excited to move home again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2008, 10:22 PM

No body has any thoughts on better places to find jobs in Bozeman, Missoula, or Billings. Just curious on your thoughts.

Old 03-13-2008, 11:54 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,993,681 times
Depends what exactly you're looking for.... the job market in Kalispell area is booming depending on what you expect to do, many dealerships are hiring. Housing in Kalispell area and Missoula vary from 150k on up.
You will need to be a little more specific in what your requirments are like what type of area you would like, kids/no kids,family,wife, recreation intrests, things like that. Giving that will let people here make some suggestions.

Old 03-14-2008, 11:00 PM

2 posts, read 12,640 times
my families on the way out. Lived in bozeman and missoula. 150k doesnt even get you on the board in bozeman. in missoula or kalispell that will buy you the lowest end condo in town. most houses are 250k+ on up. median salary for a family of 2 is 40k. Do the math and its easy to see why we are leaving. Good luck, you'll find work but likely need roommates to afford housing. I spent 60+% of my income on rent and I make 40k.

Old 03-18-2008, 06:04 PM

160 posts, read 638,245 times
I'm on my way out of the Bozeman area after living here for the past 15 years.

Don't look at this area if you are in the automotive field. About the only option I've seen in the newspaper in regards to employment in the field in the last month was for a quick lube jockey making $7 an hour. Before the last explosion of population hit this place, it was one thing to live here. But people came in, land prices when skyward, job situation stayed the same or got worse. If you are running your own business, you might fare better, and I hope you do fare better than I did. Expect to have to bribe a bunch of people on the City Council if you want to start up your own shop. The job situation is a farce at best.

The cost of living is high, even with no sales tax. The health care is beyond horrible. Your options for entertainment are non-existant.

Then there is the traffic system of Bozeman. The roads are about 20 years behind the time in terms of traffic support for the city. The city isn't helping this. In fact, they could care less, from the council all the way down. This summer for three weeks one of the three major streets in Bozeman had a traffic light that was non-functional. It intersected a commonly used side street to another of the major streets (Oak & 19th).

Missoula has a healthy share of problems as well. Think of this state as a resort state and nothing more. It has pretty views (if mountains are your thing that is) but it has no substance behind all that icing.

I recommend going to some state other than Montana for work if possible. If not, I'd say try Helena or Kalispell first. Of the two options you proposed, Missoula is probably the better one in terms of cost of living, oppertunity for employment, and general city issues, but I would feel bad as giving it as a recommendation.

Old 04-01-2008, 08:31 PM

I appreciate the feed back, but I have to disagree I was born and raised a montana kid, and I understand the prices are high, but to me just being back in montana is worth anything. I'll find a place I know bozo and Zoo town are expensive but if I have to i'll live in Helena or Great Falls, I just need to get home again, I havelived in this frozen wind tunnel called north Dakota and I need to get home. Having been to both missoula and bozeman many times I do not thing there are as bad as stated. I know out-of-staters started drawing the prices up as early as the nineties but there are still places to move to that are reasonable. For me it is not so much about the location, I miss the great people and the atmosphere of the state.

Thanks for the imput i'll find a place for my family to move. Just have to find a job first.

Old 04-01-2008, 10:47 PM

66 posts, read 231,686 times
Default Places to check for jobs

Depends on what you are looking for, but the job service is a great place to get a idea of what jobs are there in what area, depending on what you are looking for.
https://jobs.mt.gov/jobs/login.seek
is the address, to search , you have to register first to use it, then go there and sign in.
Its tough to make it here, we are looking at heading up by the N.E. section and work in oil fields to make some real cash..
Good luck.

Last edited by ElkHunter; 04-01-2008 at 11:02 PM.. Reason: Fixed URL

Old 09-30-2009, 03:47 PM

1 posts, read 9,321 times
looking for work as veterinary tech in bozeman am relocating from wa.what are my chances.

Old 10-04-2009, 11:00 AM

8,087 posts, read 15,151,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkatz477 View Post
looking for work as veterinary tech in bozeman am relocating from wa.what are my chances.
Yuppies moving in bring in the more expensive vets who in turn hire techs (which the more reasonably-priced vets can't afford and don't need). Bzn is overflowing with yuppies. However... vet tech field is also overflowing everywhere, from what I hear, so you may face a lot of competition, and in a town the size of Bozeman there may be only one or two positions coming open in the next year or so, at a guess.

Check out some of the veterinary practice magazines that carry ads for employment, you can get a much better idea from that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana