U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2017, 08:31 AM

88 posts, read 110,325 times

Advertisements

Thanks so much for the info "brb going fishing"! I also just talked with someone who lives in Bigfork year round (from Prescott) and relieved my apprehension about Bigfork having too much snow. Still would like to find a caretaker/security position for Hubs and I and have received a few leads on that so we can try out the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2017, 10:08 AM

80 posts, read 138,777 times
For 2 years, we lived in Happy Valley (just south of Whitefish) and also in Big Arm, (near Polson) on the lake. Last year, we moved to the mountains of SW Colorado and bought our long term home. Couldn't deal with the gray of the winter, and the massive population explosion/development of the valley in general (not to mention, getting housing on acreage that we could afford). Luckily, we rented for the last several years living in WA, WY and MT "trying it out"... so we weren't committed to a place. With a few exceptions, snow/extreme cold is really not a big issue in the valley... but, don't underestimate the relentless gray winters (especially coming from AZ)... and the traffic/wildfire smoke in summer.

As far as property that you're looking for... I will also echo what others are saying. Affordable acreage/housing are really becoming limited. Much of the old farming areas are being sold out to development, and open space is becoming scarce. Sure, you can still get a house on a few acres, but you will have neighbors.

While we loved a lot about the valley, the things I mentioned were deal breakers. Let me know if you have other questions.

Last edited by snowave; 06-11-2017 at 10:17 AM..

Old 06-11-2017, 10:29 AM

Thanks for your thoughts Snowave. Grey winters are not a deal breaker for us. We lived near Yosemite and experienced a lot of that. We actually considered Durango CO at one point but for many reasons decided on Prescott instead which I love but it has gotten so big (too many articles saying it's the place to retire) and too many Californians trying to change it. We're actually from CA too. :-). However, we hear that when we sell, we will make a very handsome profit. As far as property is concerned in Bigfork, I am still seeing many properties that would suit us but I guess that could change. Our friend who is moving to Helena keeps trying to get us to move there but that city is way too big.

Old 06-11-2017, 03:08 PM

726 posts, read 921,564 times
Oddly enough I've heard Kalispell people say Big Fork people are snobs. It's not been my impression on the brief visits I've made there but the fact is "snob" is definitely differently in many places.

Old 06-11-2017, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwumpus View Post
Oddly enough I've heard Kalispell people say Big Fork people are snobs. It's not been my impression on the brief visits I've made there but the fact is "snob" is definitely differently in many places.

We have decided against Bigfork anyway. After consideration, it's not for us. Would you know if it's possible to delete a thread on this site?

Old 06-11-2017, 08:07 PM

5,792 posts, read 9,254,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeela View Post
We have decided against Bigfork anyway. After consideration, it's not for us. Would you know if it's possible to delete a thread on this site?
You can ask the moderator to delete it, but even if you have changed your mind, the general information may be useful to others doing a search in the future. BTW, since your friends are moving to Helena, but it is too big for you, take a look at the smaller towns just north of Helena on the Missouri such as Craig. Beautiful scenery, great fishing.

Old 06-12-2017, 01:48 PM

3,794 posts, read 3,984,910 times
If you want to be somewhat near Helena but not in it, maybe consider places like White Sulphur Springs or Chocteau.

Old 06-12-2017, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
If you want to be somewhat near Helena but not in it, maybe consider places like White Sulphur Springs or Chocteau.
Thanks, I will check those out.

Old 06-12-2017, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
You can ask the moderator to delete it, but even if you have changed your mind, the general information may be useful to others doing a search in the future. BTW, since your friends are moving to Helena, but it is too big for you, take a look at the smaller towns just north of Helena on the Missouri such as Craig. Beautiful scenery, great fishing.
Craig is beautiful!

Old 06-13-2017, 01:45 PM

990 posts, read 1,672,156 times
I think if you want to be close(r) to your friends, you may check out some of the areas closer to Helena like Lincoln, Deer Lodge, Townsend, etc. Lots of nice places between Helena and Missoula that are smaller and an easy drive to Helena.

If you do choose the Flathead area, it's a nice place, some of the most scenic areas in the country are there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or