U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2017, 05:44 AM

7,663 posts, read 8,950,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeela View Post
We currently live in the mts of Prescott AZ and want to move to Montana. Our friend is moving to Helena but we're not sure if that city is for us. We have been told how gorgeous Bigfork/Flathead Lake is but it is very small and maybe White Fish might suit us better. We would want a little acreage and little or no neighbors in a rustic home. I guess I'm asking for some feedback. We're conservative also. Any outstanding problems, other than the winter?
The concern much more pressing than winter is cost of living and jobs (or lack thereof). Plenty of minimum wage jobs to go around but not many living wage ones. Also how conservative are you? Western Montana has some of the most extremist conservatives I've ever come across. And in that area there are some extremist liberals also thrown in. Pretty lethal mix.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2017, 09:52 AM

88 posts, read 110,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous Dave View Post
I think if you want to be close(r) to your friends, you may check out some of the areas closer to Helena like Lincoln, Deer Lodge, Townsend, etc. Lots of nice places between Helena and Missoula that are smaller and an easy drive to Helena.

If you do choose the Flathead area, it's a nice place, some of the most scenic areas in the country are there.
Hey Dangerous Dave, thanks I actually was looking at Lincoln. It would be nice to find a smaller town within a half hour to bigger town and not too far from a decent hospital. We did see a great house on HauserLake. Hmmm.

Old 06-15-2017, 11:51 AM

823 posts, read 576,676 times
I wouldn't put much stock into the statement that "crime is going up in Helena". It's so bad, they are going to have to hire one additional officer.

Most of the crime in Helena happens in the older parts of town, where people due dumb stuff like leave their vehicle idling in the driveway, with the door open, while they get ready to go to work. Most crime is from drug addicts, which are very low effort offenders. If you lock your doors, or you won't have a problem. There are also allot of bar fights that make it seem like people just walk around punching each other. Again, if you aren't at the bar at 1 am, you don't have to worry.

Helena is growing, but not in entry level housing. All the developments in town start in the 250k and up range. So the growth is from mature couples. I live in East Helena, which is a small town of less than 2k people, about 3 miles east of town, along the highway. If you keep going east, you will then hit Townsend. Montana City is a small area south of town, followed by Clancy, and then Boulder. Wolf Creek is north of town, followed by Craig. West of town is allot of very rural area, until you get close to Missoula. Lincoln is northwest of town. It is very small, but has a great little valley.

Real estate is very affordable in all of the area with the exception of Montana City, and Clancy.

Even though Helena is bigger than most of the small towns in MT, it is still small. No traffic problems.

Old 06-16-2017, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
The concern much more pressing than winter is cost of living and jobs (or lack thereof). Plenty of minimum wage jobs to go around but not many living wage ones. Also how conservative are you? Western Montana has some of the most extremist conservatives I've ever come across. And in that area there are some extremist liberals also thrown in. Pretty lethal mix.
We are retired, which I should have mentioned and not into "extreme conservatives". :-) Interesting though.

Old 06-16-2017, 09:06 PM

4,882 posts, read 5,763,319 times
Take "extreme conservatives" with a very large grain of salt. There are folks on this board that consider anyone to the right of chairman Mao as an extreme conservative.

Montana is a libertarian state. People's views are across the board, most just want to be left alone. Most believe in right and wrong, God, family and country, (although there is a healthy distrust of government), they have no problem helping a neighbor, but don't like paying for someone that refuses to work or help themselves.
They believe in the constitution, individual rights and responsibilities, including the right to bear arms.

Most Montanans are just good, plain, hardworking folks trying to live and raise their families the best they can.

If that's "Extreme", I guess it's guilty as charged.
If that's how you believe, then you'll fit right in.

Old 06-16-2017, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
Take "extreme conservatives" with a very large grain of salt. There are folks on this board that consider anyone to the right of chairman Mao as an extreme conservative.

Montana is a libertarian state. People's views are across the board, most just want to be left alone. Most believe in right and wrong, God, family and country, (although there is a healthy distrust of government), they have no problem helping a neighbor, but don't like paying for someone that refuses to work or help themselves.
They believe in the constitution, individual rights and responsibilities, including the right to bear arms.

Most Montanans are just good, plain, hardworking folks trying to live and raise their families the best they can.

If that's "Extreme", I guess it's guilty as charged.
If that's how you believe, then you'll fit right in.
We are also for all the things you mentioned and would be honored to "fit right in". Thank you for your comments.

Old 06-16-2017, 10:56 PM

Quote:
We are retired, which I should have mentioned and not into "extreme conservatives". :-) Interesting though.
Even if you're retired cost of living is definitely something to consider. You can't eat scenery. Yes, a lot of people are like the ones Silvertip described, however, the extremists are very vocal and loud. One thing I noticed was a lot of people who could not go more than three sentences without whining about how Obama, people from "back east" (anywhere outside of Montana) or California, or how liberals were "taking away their freedom" or "ruining their way of life."

The extreme liberals weren't as vocal but you would still hear things on occasion. Personally, I couldn't deal with it for the reasons mentioned and lasted less than a year. And I moved there from another region of Montana.

Old 06-17-2017, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Even if you're retired cost of living is definitely something to consider. You can't eat scenery. Yes, a lot of people are like the ones Silvertip described, however, the extremists are very vocal and loud. One thing I noticed was a lot of people who could not go more than three sentences without whining about how Obama, people from "back east" (anywhere outside of Montana) or California, or how liberals were "taking away their freedom" or "ruining their way of life."

The extreme liberals weren't as vocal but you would still hear things on occasion. Personally, I couldn't deal with it for the reasons mentioned and lasted less than a year. And I moved there from another region of Montana.
The cost of living could not be anywhere near as high as it is in CA, Oregon or Arizona where we have lived so that is something we're not worried about in MT.

Old 06-17-2017, 12:01 PM

Quote:
The cost of living could not be anywhere near as high as it is in CA, Oregon or Arizona where we have lived so that is something we're not worried about in MT.
If that's the case best of luck to you if you decide to move there!

Old 06-17-2017, 01:41 PM

Quote:
If that's the case best of luck to you if you decide to move there!
?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or