Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2008, 02:56 PM

43 posts, read 138,672 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. I just found out today, that I have been offered a position in Billings, MT. Sounds great; from the superficial research I've done on the area, it looks like it might be a good fit for me, but I'm not sure. Can anyone help me out, and fill me in on their own perspectives regarding Billings and the surrounding area?

1. How well can one make it on approximately $52K per year? It's what I make now; going to ask for this and I'm wondering how well that'd be in MT?

2. How scenic is Billings? I am an avid hiker, and part of the draw for me to move, would be outdoor recreation VERY proximal to where I choose to settle. I am looking, specifically, for hiking in/around the area. Is this available? I don't mean within an hour's drive. I mean within Billings/Laurel/Lockwood immediate vicinity (as in, I could leave work and go straight out to the trailhead).

3. Climate? Traffic? Cost of living/availability of quiet, pastoral areas to settle? (I am moving from the sprawling metropolis of FL, and I NEED space/solitude/coolness. I HAVE lived in SE Idaho, and LOVED it).
I am young, and am looking for a place to PERMANENTLY settle (i.e. buy home, have a horse/land, and then lay my roots down....no more transience!). Is Billings the right kind of place for this? BTW, I am 28, so having others (potential hubbie material??) around that don't have 60 years on me, would be fantastic!)

4. Would YOU move there?? Why or why not?

5. Specific highlights/deterrents to living in Billings.

6. If I DID decide to take this position, where are there apartments in nice areas that take pets? Rent.com only lists one complex for the whole entire city, and it is NOT pet-friendly. Me having to move without my precious furbeast = dealbreaker

I need to let the career recruiter know by Thursday, whether I accept the position or not. Thanks so much!

Last edited by DietitianVicky; 03-11-2008 at 02:59 PM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2008, 09:00 PM

115 posts, read 260,634 times
Default Some info

I don't currently live there but grew up there and have family still there. I'll try to help some. I liked living in Billings--it was big enough for things to do but not too big and easy to get out of town to do something.

Outdoors stuff--there is a trail that follows the river in several places on the south edge of town. There's a place on the rims to hike around. The mountains are an hour away in Red Lodge. Everything near town is not challenging but great anyway.

There are several little towns near Billings and areas outside of the city that would be great for land/horses.

The summer weather can be hot 90s/100s but it cools off in the evenings (50s/60s) usually. The winter can be cold (below 0) and snowy or it can be pretty mild. Depends on the year. Spring and fall are generally great. It's windy quite a bit but not gale force.

I can't help in regards to apartments, but most areas of town are ok. I don't care for the downtown and North Park area, but I guess it's ok.

52k should be ok. I can't speak for all costs but food and gas and entertainment is similar to where I live in Boise. Can you say what industry the job is for? Would it be stable? In some cases it may be hard to find another job if for some reason this one doesn't pan out.

If you have any other specifc questions I can try to answer.

Old 03-12-2008, 05:45 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,008,828 times
You should be fine on what you're making, many, many people do fine on a lot less here.
Do a web search on the local papers and look at the rental sections. Worse case is you can find an extended stay motel that will accept a pet while you look for a house. I've seen extended stay americas that do that as well as some Holiday inn express'...

Old 03-12-2008, 10:25 AM
CTC

668 posts, read 1,466,669 times
Default Phipps Park

To the OP, we are moving to Billings later this month-my wife has been up there for several months now, and I have spent a few weeks up there.

One of my favorite places to hike is Phipps park on the west edge of town. Very nice sandstone rim topography. You can get a good work out if you hike to the top. There are many informal trails and the park in undeveloped-I am guessing you could probably get a 5 mile of hike in...there is an amazing frisbee golf course built within the rims as well.

You will have to poke around to find hiking in Billings-it is there though-get a MT gazetteer and look for some of the BLM land north of town.

There are several urban corridor bike trails which are being connected to form the "Heritage Trail" which I think will be around 30 miles long.

We are renting for a year until we decide what exactly we want, and which neighborhood etc. Found a brand new town home for 1200/month.

at 52k you will be doing pretty well for Billings-I would hold out for that.

Our impression of Billings has been very favorable-It reminds me of Boise 20 years ago.

Old 03-12-2008, 04:24 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,008,828 times
And the way things are going in a few years it'll remind you of Boise today!

Old 03-12-2008, 10:00 PM
CTC

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
And the way things are going in a few years it'll remind you of Boise today!
lets hope not

Old 03-19-2008, 05:02 PM
CTC

Default Deafening Silence

For being the largest city in the state, there is a major paucity of info on Billings in this forum-come on Billings people chime in for a change!

and to the OP-you asked a question-are you even out there/some good info came your way-give a sign.

Sorry, but I find it pretty frustrating-not much progressive dialog going on here about Billings

Old 03-21-2008, 08:17 AM

10 posts, read 37,737 times
I live in Billings and love it. You will do well on $52K - many people do well on less. And, CTC is right about Phipps Park. It's near the Yellowstone Country Club and a great place to hike. It has a fun Folf (Frisbee golf) course and lots of room to hike. I hike it all the time. Just keep an eye on the rattlesnakes - you can't help but run into them.

There are a lot of activites going on here and I'm sure you'll find several of interest to yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana