Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2017, 12:03 PM

19 posts, read 18,199 times

Advertisements

I'm posting this in the general Montana forum since we are considering both cities. I know you are probably tired of answering questions from people who want to move there, but I'd appreciate the help.

1. Is Missoula way more progressive than the rest of the state? My main concern is people who care to upkeep their property and the town. My husband's main concern is someone trying to tell him he can't shoot his gun on his property.

2. Is it much more cloudy and dreary in Missoula?

3. Is it feasible to live ~20 miles out and still have good access to jobs and schools, i.e. Florence?

4. Are there any schools I need to avoid in these areas?

5. How poorly does a farming job pay? My husband has a real estate license and is currently a loan officer, but he'd rather not be in sales. Along the same lines, if I took a part time job at a resort, what kind of pay could I expect?

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2017, 01:12 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,531,949 times
1. Missoula proper will be different than outside of town.
Little towns that are incorporated may have ordinances. Some "towns" are not officially towns.
In general each county has a nuisance ordinance regarding weeds & hazards....if you let your place go completely, it might have clean up ordered & bill attached to property tax bill--this is if extreme neglect occurs & complaints are made.

Gun firing on your own property has rules depending on where your property is. In general you can not fire 1/4 mile from a public road, dwelling, etc....where people traditionally are. The actual law per location is going to vary. Towns will likely have no guns fired within city limits rule. Check with local sheriff's office prior to purchasing property for clarification.

2. Winter in Missoula Valley is grayish from overcast. I personally could not stand it. Other seasons are glorious.

3. Is your question, 20 miles to commute to a Missoula job, or are jobs available 20 miles away? Most every small town has public school & MT public systems are decent.

4. Not that I know of, someone more local needs respond.

5. In MT it completely depends on the "farm job". Some are very subsistence level pay but have housing as part of compensation. Some are part of a corporate structure with excellent benefits and others with zero benefits. There are management jobs that pay well, but I do not know what the Missoula area has for opportunities in ag. Perhaps your husband could find opportunity in ag banking, if he as agricultural experience.

Resort work will also have huge variety in pay. Most employees are probably in minimum wage category because they are housekeeping & front desk & food service help. At some places employees are there because they get a perk like a free season ski pass. Some resorts & dude ranch & outfitting situations have positions which are traditionally heavily tipped.

Old 07-27-2017, 07:26 AM

347 posts, read 521,656 times
Unfortunately, both Missoula and Bozeman, due to how "hip" and "trendy" they have become are now full of cultural marxists, people from California (I'm possibly being redundant), hipsters, gun haters, and people who think a dude who thinks he's a chick should be able to share bathrooms with girls. Billings is getting to be the same way as well.

I'm very thankful that I live in one of the less "trendy" and sexy places of Montana, but yet still has more than enough amenities for me. I

Old 07-27-2017, 09:59 AM

19 posts, read 18,199 times
Antonio Montana,

Where do you live? We need to live somewhere big enough for at least my husband to find a job. Have you lived other places? I think the country as a whole is becoming more progressive, so I guess we can't escape that anywhere.

Old 07-27-2017, 12:01 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,943,865 times
I'm posting this in the general Montana forum since we are considering both cities. I know you are probably tired of answering questions from people who want to move there, but I'd appreciate the help.

1. Is Missoula way more progressive than the rest of the state? My main concern is people who care to upkeep their property and the town. My husband's main concern is someone trying to tell him he can't shoot his gun on his property. People in Missoula seem to keep their property in order for the most part. As far as shooting a gun you can't do that in the city limits anywhere in Montana. Missoula is considered the most liberal city in Montana but it's not Berkely by any mean. And it gets VERY red not too far away from town.

2. Is it much more cloudy and dreary in Missoula? Yes, Missoula gets inversions, especially in winter.

3. Is it feasible to live ~20 miles out and still have good access to jobs and schools, i.e. Florence? Yes

4. Are there any schools I need to avoid in these areas? None that I'm aware of unless you decide to go on the Flathead Reservation.

5. How poorly does a farming job pay? My husband has a real estate license and is currently a loan officer, but he'd rather not be in sales. Along the same lines, if I took a part time job at a resort, what kind of pay could I expect? Not sure what a farming job pays. The only resorts in that area are in Whitefish which is a long ways away. And most resort jobs pay minimum wage. Your main concern in relocating to that area is finding a job that will pay a decent salary. The area is expensive to live in.

Thank you[/quote]

Old 07-27-2017, 02:28 PM

347 posts, read 521,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerg07 View Post
Antonio Montana,

Where do you live? We need to live somewhere big enough for at least my husband to find a job. Have you lived other places? I think the country as a whole is becoming more progressive, so I guess we can't escape that anywhere.
I've lived in the Midwest and the west coast.

Old 07-31-2017, 11:29 AM

1,180 posts, read 2,373,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerg07 View Post

3. Is it feasible to live ~20 miles out and still have good access to jobs and schools, i.e. Florence?

Thank you

As for Missoula, I can tell you that commuting to Missoula from the south on Highway 12 can be a zoo. If you can find something on the north side of town or outside of town along Interstate 90, you'll have a less stressful drive into Missoula.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana