U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2017, 11:07 AM

347 posts, read 333,334 times

Advertisements

[quote=NDak15;49254692]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonio Montana View Post

I didn't realize that about Great Falls. How does that compare to Billings?
Billings is just over 100,000 people. Great Falls is about 60,000 people. Obviously, Billings has more amenities than Great Falls, but as far as what I value, it doesn't have much more....but again, that's me. From my time living in the Billings area, it's definitely getting more hip, trendy and expensive....and with that comes a lot of latte drinking, SJW types. Sadly, in my eyes, Billings is starting to resemble Missoula, Bozeman etc. Some may view that as a positive. I sure don't, but not everyone is me.

Great Falls and the area around it definitely have more a of a blue-collar, working man's town kind of feel to it than Billings or any of the other larger towns/metro areas in Montana.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2017, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjstef View Post
Great Falls is "reasonable" but not my type of area nor is most of the Hi-line. Way to dry for my liking and too much wind. VERY beautiful in April May and June though.......
Well, Great Falls and areas of the Hi-Line aren't your type of area, but there are other people who love it and wouldn't live anywhere else. It's all about one's values and preferences. I'm going to assume that you are saying that just because it's not your type of area doesn't mean everyone else has to share your opinion. For example, Montguy hates Montana. I love it. Different strokes for different folks.

I do have to add that when I lived outside of Billings, the wind there could be pretty brutal as well. Also, Livingston is notorious for its strong wind.

Old 08-20-2017, 07:41 PM

662 posts, read 935,836 times
[quote=Antonio Montana;49256501]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post

Billings is just over 100,000 people. Great Falls is about 60,000 people. Obviously, Billings has more amenities than Great Falls, but as far as what I value, it doesn't have much more....but again, that's me. From my time living in the Billings area, it's definitely getting more hip, trendy and expensive....and with that comes a lot of latte drinking, SJW types. Sadly, in my eyes, Billings is starting to resemble Missoula, Bozeman etc. Some may view that as a positive. I sure don't, but not everyone is me.

Great Falls and the area around it definitely have more a of a blue-collar, working man's town kind of feel to it than Billings or any of the other larger towns/metro areas in Montana.

SJW types???????

Old 08-20-2017, 08:10 PM

[quote=sky1949;49260739]
Quote:

SJW types???????
SJW=social justice warrior=radical leftist

Old 08-20-2017, 09:45 PM

7,656 posts, read 8,935,925 times
[quote=Antonio Montana;49260940]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky1949 View Post

SJW=social justice warrior=radical leftist
There are likely plenty more radical "rightists" to offset them.

Old 08-20-2017, 10:08 PM

[quote=NDak15;49261648]
Quote:

There are likely plenty more radical "rightists" to offset them.
In some places, yes. Others, not so much.

Old 08-20-2017, 10:31 PM

155 posts, read 113,230 times
Quote:
Well, Great Falls and areas of the Hi-Line aren't your type of area, but there are other people who love it and wouldn't live anywhere else. It's all about one's values and preferences. I'm going to assume that you are saying that just because it's not your type of area doesn't mean everyone else has to share your opinion. For example, Montguy hates Montana. I love it. Different strokes for different folks.

I do have to add that when I lived outside of Billings, the wind there could be pretty brutal as well. Also, Livingston is notorious for its strong wind.

My point is that's why it's cheaper, Less desirable. I worked a BUNCH of foreclosures over that way for Bank Of America from 2009 - 2015 and met VERY few transplants. West of the divide is a WHOLE different story. FWIW, I really like Belt and 89 down to Niehart but way too much commuting for me.....

Old 08-21-2017, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjstef View Post
My point is that's why it's cheaper, Less desirable. I worked a BUNCH of foreclosures over that way for Bank Of America from 2009 - 2015 and met VERY few transplants. West of the divide is a WHOLE different story. FWIW, I really like Belt and 89 down to Niehart but way too much commuting for me.....
Well, I certainly can't argue with you that areas such as Bozeman, Kalispell etc are more "desirable" to the transplants, especially transplants from New York and California.......but once again, "desirable" is in the eyes of the beholder. But yes, I agree with you to an extent. Places like Kalispell and Bozeman tend to match the romantic view that non-Montana residents have of Montana ( beautiful mountains, forests etc.) I say to an extent, though, because at one time, I was a transplant.....and for me the "desirable" areas are areas where there are less transplants, especially transplants from New York and California. You mentioned you were in Kalispell. Well, it's my experience that the transplants in the flathead valley area from New York are extremely toxic and snobby. Seriously, you tell those people you live in a more blue-collar, less glamorous area of Montana, they'll act like you are beneath them. I think it's reasonable to say that they (the transplants) probably played a significant role in making Kalispell uninhabitable for you.....and that right there is one of the main reasons I prefer living in one of the less glamorous, blue-collar "undesirable" and even "deplorable" areas of Montana. LOL! Call me crazy, but I find the less glamorous, blue-collar areas that are more dependent on middle class jobs and labor to be more "desirable" than areas full of the hip, trendy, places with the "beautiful" people that are full of the latte drinking SJWS, doggy daycare centers, and the gelato places.

Lastly, I regret it if I sound like a Great Falls apologist, but despite it's lack of glamour and flash, it has more than anyone needs, and is very close to the physical beauty that Montana is known for (mountains, forests, lakes). You know this already because you mentioned 89 down to Niehart. I've never actually been to Belt. I've just passed it several times on the highway, because I've had no reason to go there, but it looks like a nice town, and your post makes me want to stop there the next time I'm in that area.

Last edited by Antonio Montana; 08-21-2017 at 08:54 AM..

Old 08-21-2017, 08:15 AM

155 posts, read 113,230 times
Quote:
Well, I certainly can't argue with you that areas such as Bozeman, Kalispell etc are more "desirable" to the transplants, especially transplants from New York and California.......but once again, "desirable" is in the eyes of the beholder. But yes, I agree with you to an extent. Places like Kalispell and Bozeman tend match the romantic view that non-Montana residents have of Montana ( beautiful mountains, forests etc.) I say to an extent, though, because at one time, I was a transplant.....and for me the "desirable" areas are areas where there are less transplants, especially transplants from New York and California. You mentioned you were in Kalispell. Well, it's my experience that the transplants in the flathead valley area from New York are extremely toxic and snobby. Seriously, you tell those people you live in a more blue-collar, less glamorous area of Montana, they'll act like you are beneath them. I think it's reasonable to say that they (the transplants) probably played a significant role in making Kalispell uninhabitable for you.....and that right there is one of the main reasons I prefer living in one of the less glamorous, blue-collar "undesirable" and even "deplorable" areas of Montana. LOL! Call me crazy, but I find the less glamorous, blue-collar areas that are more dependent on middle class jobs and labor to be more "desirable" than areas full of the hip, trendy, places with the "beautiful" people that are full of the latte drinking SJWS, doggy daycare centers, and the gelato places.

Lastly, I regret it if I sound like a Great Falls apologist, but despite it's lack of glamour and flash, it has more than anyone needs, and is very close to the physical beauty that Montana is known for (mountains, forests, lakes). You know this already because you mentioned 89 down to Niehart. I've never actually been to Belt. I've just passed it several times on the highway, because I've had no reason to go there, but it looks like a nice town, and your post makes me want to stop there the next time I'm in that area.

All truth. The one part i would correct you on is that the Flathead is getting more Texans than anything though, Even more so than Granola's. Texans for the most part are great folks but still responsible for driving the real estate sky high. I had quite a few good clients from Texas. The main reason i came back to Wisconsin as the availability of VERY reasonable real estate. My kids where not staying in Montana due to that reason alone but they will likely settle here close to us now. Daughter is looking at a really nice 3 bed 2 bath in Rhinelander for 60K. You can still pick up a quarter section of land and a house here for under 200K and don't have to irrigate lol. Actually got my eye on this one right now but can't swing 2 mortgages at the moment. Ogema, Price County, WI land for sale - 200 acres at LandWatch.com I would venture to guess that would be hard to do even in the Great Falls area. BTW, How is the show at the Sip & Dip? Haven't been their in quite a few years......

Old 08-21-2017, 09:02 AM

342 posts, read 254,358 times
Hey Antonio, I like GF, too. Guns and ammo at Scheel's and North 40. With no sales tax!
Haul back to WY. Nice weather for the most part with a little wind. Gets a little crazy with
occasional hail storm (not real big ones, though-and Billings gets bigger ones) or the time
it was -45 overnight (I plugged the pickup in at the hotel-even though a gas engine, then
watched the Albertans take an hour to get their vehicles going.) Nice in summer, though.

But how about Conrad. There's your type of town, eh. I really like Conrad. Once met
Wylie Gustafson in the Gary and Leo's. That was a red letter day. Only what, an hour
drive or so to GF. If I was moving to MT, Conrad would be my number one choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or